• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking Seersucker Suit

tgt465

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a seersucker suit for this summer, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or recommendations. I found the following:
  • Jos A Bank: I know the company gets a lot of flack around here, but their Executive suit was only $65 last week (and I'm sure their perpetual sales will roll around again before summer hits). They also have a "Stays Cool" version which was around $160. Not sure of quality. I'll probably drop by the local store to see these in person.
  • Haspel: Seems like this is available for around $170 online. Downside is that I don't believe there is anyone nearby who sells these in person, so I'd have to buy this unseen.
  • Hardwick: Similar to Haspel.
  • J Crew: Their jacket is fully lined according to their web site, which in my view defeats the purpose of seersucker to begin with. Ultra-narrow lapels don't really work for me. Price is around $300, which is starting to get pricey considering the fabric used.
  • Brooks Brothers: Half-lined and reasonable style, but even more expensive at $400. I thought seersucker was supposed to be cheap suiting for poor folks?

Anyways if anybody owns a seersucker suit and/or can provide helpful comments or suggestions, I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
I was thinking of getting a seersucker suit for this summer, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions or recommendations. I found the following:
  • Jos A Bank: I know the company gets a lot of flack around here, but their Executive suit was only $65 last week (and I'm sure their perpetual sales will roll around again before summer hits). They also have a "Stays Cool" version which was around $160. Not sure of quality. I'll probably drop by the local store to see these in person.
  • Haspel: Seems like this is available for around $170 online. Downside is that I don't believe there is anyone nearby who sells these in person, so I'd have to buy this unseen.
  • Hardwick: Similar to Haspel.
  • J Crew: Their jacket is fully lined according to their web site, which in my view defeats the purpose of seersucker to begin with. Ultra-narrow lapels don't really work for me. Price is around $300, which is starting to get pricey considering the fabric used.
  • Brooks Brothers: Half-lined and reasonable style, but even more expensive at $400. I thought seersucker was supposed to be cheap suiting for poor folks?

Anyways if anybody owns a seersucker suit and/or can provide helpful comments or suggestions, I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

Well, Haspel essentially invented the Seersucker suit. I know they are not making them here in New Orleans any longer...but I have seen their recent stuff and it is pretty decent. It is what it is...very traditionally cut and fitting inexpensive suits. The best cut Seersucker stuff I have seen and tried is from Polo.

Where do you live?

Mike

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Where do you live?

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. Summers are not so hot that I expect to wear this frequently, hence the reluctance to spend too much for this. Maybe the relatively milder weather would make the fully lined/half lined distinction moot, thinking about it.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. Summers are not so hot that I expect to wear this frequently, hence the reluctance to spend too much for this. Maybe the relatively milder weather would make the fully lined/half lined distinction moot, thinking about it.

Well, the J.Crew is going to be a slimmer and younger fit. I would think you could use some lining in SF.

Do they have Belk out there? They sell shitloads of Haspel seersucker down here.

Mike

tgt465

Reaction score
First time I heard of Belk. I don't think they have stores around here, but I'll keep them in mind as an online ordering alternative. Thanks!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Polo blue label seersucker, and it's very very nice. Nice fit, MOP buttons, good construction for a cotton suit. I have a Haspel linen suit and the seersuckers seem to have a similar cut, pretty boxy. It works for linen but wasn't what I was going for in seersucker. I live in the South so it's pretty common, never gotten a negative reaction and lots of positive ones.

edit: got the Polo from B&S here.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I got mine a few years ago at JPress. I really think its one of the few suits where I can split up the pants and jacket and look just fine.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
The Haspel is the original and pretty cheap. I have a seersucker and a tan poplin. I'm sure you can easily buy on-line. What I don't know is if they all come with pleated pants. Mine are several years old and I don't think flat fronts were available then, but maybe with the resurgence they are now. I don't think you can beat them for the price. Forget about J. Bank.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one from O'Connell's that is great. Quarter lined, sack jacket, flat front pants. Would buy again.

I had one from Brooks Bros previously; the jacket was fully lined but nonetheless reasonably cool (it was lined in rayon; cheaper suits are sometimes lined in polyester which doesn't breathe as well). Brooks styling was less trad-- darted jacket, pleats, no edge stitching-- basically a standard Madison suit. The cloth was more refined than that of the O'Connell's suit, and the buttons were nicer.

The other one I'd consider is J Press, but I've never worn one or seen it in person.

dmac

Reaction score
I have a J. Press seersucker and am quite happy with it.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may have missed your chance to get a super cheap JAB seersucker suit, I imagine they won't be that cheap again till fall.
The JAB one's I've seen had pretty beefy shoulders, though I prefer my seersucker with a 3/2roll, no darts, and soft shoulders.

I would go for the Haspel, every J. Crew jacket I've ever seen has looked off, I don't trust them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads