1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking Overcoat Advice, any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by huskyzealot, Dec 28, 2007.

1. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

Tried a search, but didn't find too much.
    Anyways, I'm moving to the northeast and will needto buy my first real overcoat. I am looking to get a black or charcoal coat. It would be worn over just a shirt 50% of the time and over a suit the rest. Most important I would like it to be really warm and stand up to the cold elements. I would like it to cost about $650 or less.

There was a 100% Cashmere Facconable coat at Nordstroms on sale for about $690, but it seemed pretty thin and not very warm. And I was curious if 100% cashmere coats going to get ruined if I wear them all winter? Will I need to be overly concerned with staying out of the snow/rain?

Where can I look for a good coat in my price range. I looked at Charles Tyrwhitt, are those good coats? If I can spend a little more money than that, where should I look? I would prefer not to do ebay, so that I could return/exchange if the sizing is wrong.

THANKS

2. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

try sierratradingpost.com (use the link at the top to support the forum). There are always coupon codes floating around. I believe they have some ISAIAs close to your price range after an additional discount, but maybe a bit more. Facconable is crap for what they charge. I would think 100% cashmere is more expensive and maybe more delicate. I think you're safe with a wool/cashmere blend (no need to get hung on up % i would think 70/30 perhaps?).

CT coats get decent reviews if you're able to pick them up at 1/2 of retail (again there are codes/specific links to give you that discount).

I vote charcoal. I think it's more versatile, especially with navy.

3. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

As I look at more coats, lots of them have Loro Piana Storm System, or some other similar Storm Protection thing.

Is this something that I should consider looking for? Does it actually make a difference in hoe the coat handles wind/rain? And what brands besides BrooksBrothers have this material or something similar?