• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking opinion on shoes

thecharliekelly

Reaction score
I just graduated college, my brown shoes crapped out and I got hired at a bank. Knowing this, are shoes this bright really acceptable in such a conservative setting? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COG4T82/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23P6MBEML8L0W I've been questioning how casual, and how bright you can go with shoes before you look like a chump college student and not a college graduate.

Also, suggestions on dress and business casual shoes for a young guy on a budget are welcome! Finding durable, stylish AND conservative shoes under $180 is tough.

Thanks all.

Subutai

Reaction score
For your price range, I'd recommend one of the following:

a) getting used shoes off the marketplace or ebay
b) To Boot NY off 6pm Shoes
c) Allen Edmonds seconds
d) Johnston & Murphy or Florsheim full price

Gobbo

Reaction score
I work in a slightly less conservative (but still old fashioned) industry and I would only wear that color in the summer and never if I had an important meeting that day. That's in the U.S. at least - in Continental Europe I might not think twice about it in the warmer months.

Nevertheless I think Subutai is on the mark. I would recommend Merlot AE Park Aves since they seem to match your criteria for being in the brown color family and conservative but you could go for Johnston & Murphy if you're on a budget.

In my experiences with J&M (and Aldo) I've had to replace any pairs I've owned after about a year so while the AE's are a bigger investment up front, my personal feeling is that they will pay for themselves over the years. They also have the added benefit of pairing perfectly with a suit so it could wind up being the only brown work shoe you will need for a long time if you take care of them.

All the best with your new position!

Last edited:

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a pair of second hand Allen Edmonds.

Anything else isn't worth your time in that price range, with the possible exception of some vintage pieces, but, being new to this stuff, I'd suggest sticking with the standard fare unless you're supremely confident that the vintage piece you're picking up is going to fit. Florsheim Imperials can have finicky sizing in my experience, and they're the most likely vintage pickup. With your budget, a sizing mistake isn't an option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads