• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking opinion from Tie Bar experts

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
I would be purchasing a Tie Bar soon and would like to know if Style Forum members consider any Tie Bar to be more classy than a Sterling Silver plain tie bar, like the ones made by JCrew or Tiffany etc. Pictures would help a great deal here, Thanks.

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
I have a David Donahue tie bar that I like and use pretty frequently. Sterling silver with a very, very simple design. I would say just as classy as Tiffany but cheaper (only $45)!

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howard Yount

tiebar2_1_large.jpg

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply MCH, this looks like an interesting Tie Bar to me. Also, can you think of any Tie Bar that is more classy than Tiffany or J.Crew plain silver tie bars?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j crew and Tiffany in the same sentence... i dont even....

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
j crew and Tiffany in the same sentence... i dont even....

Lol, No offenes Phoenix, but they look quite the same at least online..

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
Lol, No offenes Phoenix, but they look quite the same at least online..
So do various makes of dark green leather breast wallets, but alas... Let's not start a pissin' war with theMassivelyOverpricedBlingForum (TMOBF) for cryin' out loud!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I sell a sterling and onyx tie clip, if you wish an alternative to plain sterling. To honestly answer your question, no, the plain sterling tie clip is the most classic. But onyx and MOP would be close. Howard Yount's hammered finish tie clip (shown before) is a nice alternative to plain that is quite subtle.
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Let's not start a pissin' war with theMassivelyOverpricedBlingForum (TMOBF) for cryin' out loud!
Agreed.

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

To honestly answer your question, no, the plain sterling tie clip is the most classic. But onyx and MOP would be close. Howard Yount's hammered finish tie clip (shown before) is a nice alternative to plain that is quite subtle.

Thanks for the link and your thoughts, though an optimist in me has some hopes that someone will post a picture of a tie clip more classic than a plain silver one.
What are your views on silver engine turned ones?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the design, but I'm sure most are fairly classic. I'd like to see any pics you have, as I'm rather fond of engine turning.

But will anyone notice the difference between an engine-turned clip and an unadorned one from a distance?

I feel that all the tie clips we've discussed in this thread are sufficiently classic that you could wear them with any outfit, so you should not bother with what is the most classic but simply what you like. Personally, I find a plain silver clip a bit dull -- this is why I don't sell them -- and would rather wear something more interesting while still being classic.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie clips are jewelry. "Classy" is a really poorly defined term, and really, anything plain is going to be pretty damn classic and will go with anything. A plain bar can never go wrong, but variations on that won't ever go wrong either. Simple, classic designs will always work, and everything in this thread qualifies.

Though I do have to object to the contention that plain silver goes with anything. It may look awkward with brass or gold tones. Of course, once you have a simple silver and a simple brass, you're set if you want to be. Some of us like having clips with interesting designs in the mix too. I occasionally even wear my eagle scout tie tack...

Fred H.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

Kent, I was tempted to pull the trigger on that one but didn't get it done before the moratorium (imposed by Mrs. H) went into effect. I wish you'd consider doing that in a little bit wider, little bit shorter version. (Still a rectangle, but with dimensions like 3/8 in x 1-1/8.)

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The website Tie Bar has some very inexpensive tie bars, I bought a couple of planin metal tie bars, one for skinny ties and another for regular size ties.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I bought this on Amazon and am pleased with it, but it's only for slim ties (it's 1.88 inches).
31d0fotVd-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
The website Tie Bar has some very inexpensive tie bars, I bought a couple of planin metal tie bars, one for skinny ties and another for regular size ties.

How's the quality? Is it worth the money?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads