1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice re Boots for smart casual wear- Style newbie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sunster, Nov 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Sunster

Sunster Member

Hi, I'm a style newbie who has often been directed to this forum when loking at stylish clothing products.
    I'm Chinese and of medium build, and doctor by trade. My general style over the years has been that casual street wear t-shirts/shirts, jeans and trainers. I've a wealth of black casual jackets. For the last few years my staple boot when not wearing trainers has been my Timberland boot company chukka in vintage worn black colour.
    As I'm approaching that magic 40 years mark I've become more concious of dressing in a 'smart casually'. Over the past year I've been buying more fitted shirts, John Smedley v-neck/crew neck knits, and darker jeans. I've also recently invested a Nanamica Field jacket/blazer (again in black). Very occasionally I may wear a fitted dark blue or black chino trousers.
    I am now considering investing in a solid boot to complete my smart casual (stylish mature) look. I'd love some advice on a smart boot which may compliment my clothes and around the £250 budget and with rubber sole. Personally I think a detailed chunky boot would be best, and I'm think a non shiney black or dark brown.
    However the reason I'm here is that I'd love your advice in only which boot may be best to suit me and also in colour

Boots I've had in mind are:
    Herring Clare http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=5206
    Sanders Cheltenham (in black or brown?) http://www.sanders-uk.com/categories/Country-6.php
    Red Wing Beckman http://www.endclothing.co.uk/department/boots/red-wing-9011-beckman-6-round-toe-boot.html

I could be way off the mark as to what may look good however I'm happy to take on board any suggestions Thanks

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I have something like the herrings and the red wings. Like both quite a bit.

3. Sunster

Sunster Member

What kind of clothes do you wear them with? Which colours?

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

i have the redwings in i believe its called cigar. Looks pretty similar to your link. The wingtip boots are a very dark chocolate.

I wear them with dark denim, navy chinos and the like. Goes perfectly with the weather at this point in the northeast us.

typical outfit:

dark levi's 513 jeans, redwings, checked dress shirt, lambswool half-zip sweater, barbour quilted jacket in navy, scarf if necessary. done.

5. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Another vote for the Beckman.

I think they look especially good with a pair of slim tapered raw denim jeans, especially when paired with a hip-length classic fit waxed jacket (e.g. Barbour Bedale) or full-zip slim fitting sweater.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Senior member

If you like those style of boots, I wouldn't wear formal wear with them. Stick to jeans and chinos maybe with polo shirts, T or long sleeve (button down)

7. Sunster

Sunster Member

Some people have pointed me in the direction of Loake Bedales in mahogany.
    What do you think?
    Anyone own these?

8. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I would also look at the websites of Meermin, Markowski and Septieme Largeur.

9. Sunster

Sunster Member

10. martinluckhurst

martinluckhurst New Member

I have a pair of Loake Bedales. They are an excellent pair of boots. Very well made and stylish without being too over the top.

11. Sunster

Sunster Member

Having gone through all the threads in the forum I decided to go for a pair of Tricker's stow in espresso. I'm sure they'll last me a good number of years!