• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking advice on RTW suit in London (Savile Row?)

JDelage

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be in London this W-E and am in need of a good suit (and I cannot wait for bespoke, semi-custom, etc).

Would someone with some experience of the City advise me on a good place to buy a very good classical (i.e., business) suit? I've been advised Gieves & Hawkes, and I'm trying to add a couple (or more) names to this.

Many thanks!

JD

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Even a W-E is a stretch as you won't have any time to do alterations. How much did you want to spend? There are still some makers making British style suits though not necessarily main in the UK.

I think Aquascutum does some ok stuff. I never found the Gieves and Hawkes stuff that exciting, especially at the price. Spencer Hart does two buttons with slightly narrower than standard lapels but quite pricey and not "classic". Richard James would be a possibility but some people aren't happy with their construction and their styling is not 100% classic either. Kilgour RTW has supposedly gone downhill but may still yield something that looks the part. Dunhill maybe?

To be honest, this is the first time I've ever considered "Who are the English RTW hotshots?" It's so hard to say because the big houses have become sufficiently international that their stuff isn't really typical English nor is it made in the UK anymore. This is especially true of suits.

If you're looking for classic UK RTW, you're better off looking for shirts, ties, Barbour stuff and Cordings stuff.

O, and shoes. O god the shoes.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jaeger (up Regent St from Aquascutum) have a sale on suits at the moment and some very good value.

JDelage

Reaction score
Shoes & shirts are a given.

For the suit I am less interested in absolutely authentic design as I am in very good quality & fit & finish. By "classical", I meant something that is not fantasy - something that can be worn with elegance in a business environment.

I'm in Paris so I could get the suit altered and shipped to me.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might check Ede&Ravenscroft

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I think (I received an e-mail alert, but have discarded it) that Cordings are currently having a suit sale. You might want to call them to confirm.

Frog in Suit

ccffm1

Reaction score
How about Chester Barrie? Don´t they still carry a RTW range there or am I mistaken? If they do, I think the OP could do worse.

LeonM

Reaction score
There's Hackett, too.

Leon

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Mahon has frequently praised Marks and Spencers for good quality RTW.

JDelage

Reaction score
I ended up buying a charcoal suit at Aquascutum. It has a nice English line (to my eyes), and more important fit my body better than the other I tried on at M&S or G&H. Also bought a couple shirt + 1 tie from T&A, and a pair of C&J shoes. The exchange rate is slightly advantageous to Euro holders right now.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Daks

Paul Smith

Kilgour

You can even try Vivienne Westwood

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads