• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking advice about replacement suit pants

mookid

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am to be attending a wedding; I will be in the groom's party and we will all be wearing black suits. I own a black suit. The top is tailored and fits well enough, but the pants are too baggy for my liking (almost M.C. Hammer-esque), and they have deep pleats. I think I would look sharper in slimmer, flat-front pants.

My question is: do you recommend buying a pair of black, wool slacks and wearing them with the jacket? Would this cause a discrepancy between fabrics, or some other faux-pas that I'm not privy to? Would it be better to attempt to have a tailor remove the pleats and slim down the pants? Or should I simply not be so picky and wear the parachute pants?

Any advice on this matter is much appreciated.
worship.gif

saiyar1

Reaction score
There's a very strong possibility that you'll never match the cloth or "shade" of black. Will anyone care or point it out? No, but you'll know and you have to decide if you care.

The pants can be easily slimmed, but the pleats are another issue. They can be removed by a good tailor, but if they are as deep as you say, it could make it waaay more difficult. It will also be expensive. What suit is this/how much did this suit cost? Ex - If all the pants work costs $150 or more and the suit cost $250, maybe it's time to buy a nice suit in a more versatile color.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mookid
Greetings.

I am to be attending a wedding; I will be in the groom's party and we will all be wearing black suits. I own a black suit. The top is tailored and fits well enough, but the pants are too baggy for my liking (almost M.C. Hammer-esque), and they have deep pleats. I think I would look sharper in slimmer, flat-front pants.

My question is: do you recommend buying a pair of black, wool slacks and wearing them with the jacket? Would this cause a discrepancy between fabrics, or some other faux-pas that I'm not privy to? Would it be better to attempt to have a tailor remove the pleats and slim down the pants? Or should I simply not be so picky and wear the parachute pants?

Any advice on this matter is much appreciated.
worship.gif

I would never mix and match suit coats and pants from different sources, unless I somehow found the exact same fabric somewhere. Too many variable beyond just color, weave, weight, fading, etc. etc.

I would get a good tailor to refit the pants.

mookid

Reaction score
Thank you for the excellent advice. It's a Pronto Uomo suit bought for around $350.00. I should probably invest in a nicer suit in a versatile color for future occasions. But since I do need to wear a black suit to this particular wedding, it seems like this suit is my ticket to ride. $150 to get the pants fitted isn't much more expensive than buying new ones, so I'm not averse to having them tailored. I'm not sure how much more use I'll get out of this suit after its tailored... maybe some, maybe none.

Any additional advice/comments on this matter are much appreciated.
bigstar[1].gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice would be to stop buying black suits and stop buying suits at Men's Warehouse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads