1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Seeing undershirt under white dress shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by myoclonic, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Today, I wore a white MTM shirt, and the outline of the V-NECK undershirt could be seen through the shirt. I have always felt this looks cheap and low-grade. I paid $120 for the shirt. A CREW neck undershirt should solve it.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am fortunate to live in Indianapolis, Indiana, where most men wear shite for clothing. Anything I do to look nice stands out. If my shoes are shined I get comments.

My #1 shirt problem is what to wear beneath merino wool sweaters, especially those cut in a polo style. Wool irritates my skin to no end, so that is why I need an undershirt. But with an orange polo sweater, for example, I don't want a little triangle of a frikin white crewneck t-shirt sticking out. So what is the solution? T-shirts to coordinate with colors of sweaters? I haven't discovered the right color to go beneath orange. What I do now is wear a v-neck t-shirt, red, and keep a button on the sweater done so the t-shirt remains hidden. But has anyone found a better solution?

Don't wear polos. Or orange, for that matter.

3. arc

arc Senior member

That's some potent thread necromancy.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I never wear an undershirt. Why would I add another layer of insulation and heat to a shirt with a buttoned up collar and a jacket? Nope. I will pass.

Also, it adds a whole new level of tuck difficulty when dealing with two layers.

Finally, it looks like shit if it is seen in any way, shape or form.

Mike

5. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

I use thin grey vnecks for wearing under white shirts. Got the tip by searching here in the past and was surprised it works great. The vneck and sleeve hem is invisible even under a lightweight dress shirt. I find any sort of heather color works the best. Grey or oatmeal.

6. dropout5

dropout5 Senior member

On April 7, 1975, a lithe American Airlines stewardess told me how glad she was that, as she said, "You're not the kind of guy who wears an undershirt." Â

Haven't touched one since. Â (A tee shirt, not a stewardess.)

i love these kind of golden nugget quotes one carries with them for years after hearing. even better when with sexual undertones.

7. Diavolo

Diavolo Senior member

Look at wintersilks.com. They have superlightweight but warm and breathable undershirts in long and short sleeves with both crew and v-necks (for polos or open neck shirts). Impossible to see under a shirt, wash and dry easily and quickly and are light for packing.

8. Korki Bucheck

Korki Bucheck Well-Known Member

Don't wear polos. Or orange, for that matter.

And give up any use of "frikin."

9. repp_fink

repp_fink Well-Known Member

I have a similar problem: whenever I wear undershirts beneath my open-collar dress shirts, the thick gold chains I like to wear slide around too much beneath my shirt. Normally, my solution is to not wear an undershirt at all, and simply allow my thick, curly chest/lower neck hair to keep my chains in place.

However, I also sweat profusely and constantly, particularly during police interrogations. Is there some variant t-shirt that will both absorb my comically abundant sweat and allow my luxuriant chest hair its full functionality / exposure?

Please advise.

10. menofcharisma

menofcharisma Member

I tend to enjoy wearing V-neck undershirts, mostly because I don't wear a tie at work (casual offices are the best) but I wear button-downs frequently with two buttons open. I feel that a crewneck in those kind of situations look dorky.

What I do dislike is the fact that people can see my undershirt sleeves. I'm a fairly dark-skinned guy, so the sleeves do kind of pop out, especially when I'm standing directly under the kind of lighting you can expect in any office.

Cutting off the sleeves seems kind of drastic...and it would not help with perspiration in the summer, as I tend to overheat easily. Lucky for me though (or not so lucky), I sweat mostly on my face. A blessing and a curse.

11. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Senior member

Would you rather see the undershirt or my nipples?

12. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

I have a similar problem: whenever I wear undershirts beneath my open-collar dress shirts, the thick gold chains I like to wear slide around too much beneath my shirt. Normally, my solution is to not wear an undershirt at all, and simply allow my thick, curly chest/lower neck hair to keep my chains in place.

However, I also sweat profusely and constantly, particularly during police interrogations. Is there some variant t-shirt that will both absorb my comically abundant sweat and allow my luxuriant chest hair its full functionality / exposure?

Please advise.

[​IMG]

13. zizou

zizou Well-Known Member

i wear an undershirt all the time.

it's not ideal, and when i do this, the outine of the undershirt is there.

but it's a compromise i'm willing to take. i sweat a lot in my armpits and back so i'd rather wear an undershirt.

depending on the material of the dress shirt, this isn't that much of a problem, though.

i don't think it's THAT bad, though. i think there are things that are lots worse:
    - v-neck under a buttoned up white dress shirt.
    - "beater" underneath a white dress shirt
    - no shirt and seeing nipples

14. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

I'm more afraid of my nipples showing through the dress shirt than any white undershirt problem...

15. Tug

Tug Member

...However, I also sweat profusely and constantly, particularly during police interrogations. Is there some variant t-shirt that will both absorb my comically abundant sweat and allow my luxuriant chest hair its full functionality / exposure? Please advise.
    hey repp_fink, if you can believe this, yes, there are different undershirts available for you! if you're looking for undershirts that have extra protection in the underarm or back area, i'd recommend looking a v-neck (or deep v-neck) from undershirt manufacturers like kleinert's or silverback apparel. there's also a new one coming out that i'll be talking about soon on my blog. if extra protection isn't your thing, but you want to show off your man patch, you might want to consider looking at U-neck undershirts like the jt from collected threads, the scoop t-shirt, or the u shirt.
    ...What I do dislike is the fact that people can see my undershirt sleeves. I'm a fairly dark-skinned guy, so the sleeves do kind of pop out, especially when I'm standing directly under the kind of lighting you can expect in any office. Cutting off the sleeves seems kind of drastic...and it would not help with perspiration in the summer, as I tend to overheat easily. Lucky for me though (or not so lucky), I sweat mostly on my face. A blessing and a curse.
    menofcharisma, here's a couple of pointers. i've evaluated a bunch of undershirts and have found that most of them have roughly the same sleeve length (of course some are longer). the difference, i found, was in the length of the shoulder strap/yolk. if the length of the shoulder strap is actually longer than your shoulder, you'll notice that it falls over your shoulder and down onto your bicep instead of sitting up at the tip of your shoulder. so what you're really experiencing isn't a longer sleeve, it's an undershirt that is too big for you in the shoulders. this is very common in box cut undershirts. one option is to try a smaller size or look for a lightweight fitted undershirt. if you really can't find an undershirt that fits you properly in the shoulder and the sleeve length, consider either taking your undershirts to a dry cleaner and ask them to hem up the sleeves, or, if you're feeling daring, cut off the hem of your existing sleeve, fold them, and then use seam tape and an iron to do your own hemming!
    ...Also, it adds a whole new level of tuck difficulty when dealing with two layers. Finally, it looks like shit if it is seen in any way, shape or form. Mike
    hey mbreinin, well my friend, i've got good news for you. there a lot more undershirts on the market nowadays that address the tuck issue than you're likely aware of. the solution is to find a fitted undershirt that is cut longer. when you wear a proper fitting undershirt (fitted, but not constricting) you reduce the likelihood of an undershirt coming untucked. if it's cut longer, you pretty much eliminate it. also, there are plenty of undershirts that can be worn that will not show. hope the above recommendations help everyone! there's tons of info on my site if you're interested in learning more. best, tug undershirtguy.com

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Undershirts are dorky. Don't wear them and you won't have a problem.