Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Seeing my friends succeed in college...Upsets me?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Beck, May 22, 2012.

1. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

You don't need a college degree to be successful. Just be able to identify opportunities to make money, that is life, to see who can pull of the biggest con job.

It seems you have some entrepreneurial spirit by living off ebay, so why not look for opportunities that can allow you to expand on that?

2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Get off your high horse for a second there, pal. Congrats on reaching the 6 figure range at an early age, but no need to sound cocky because there will always be people who are younger and more successful than you.

3. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Haha I can't tell if he was being serious or not but I'm gonna have to go with wj4 on this one, and all his fit pics at work.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Posterchild for Gen Y and the Occupy movement.

Guess what, OP? Get over yourself. Unless you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth a person has to put in their dues. That simple.

5. sns23

sns23 Senior member

What's your point? I'm perfectly content with the trajectory of my life. I don't care if there is some 18 year old internet multi-millionaire out there in the world.

Last edited: May 23, 2012

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Some people actually earn money through adding value vs. "con jobs." Yeah, I know, that's not an idea that's popular at the moment.

7. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Sup beck, I'll pm you later but I've got a couple of friends in your position that often talk to me about things like this. I can't say that I can solve anything, but I'd like to think I've given my friends a couple of ideas, and all of them don't necessarily require you taking the conventional office route.

Immediately upon reading your posts for instance, I wondered why you aren't looking into Coding, programming and comp sci independently? You could pick up Python, both Cs and get to objective programming pretty quick with your dedication and extra time. More importantly, this is a lot more in line with your freestyle type of working inclinations than a conventional position, and the opportunities for self study are there. In order to maximize your potential, you could look into uni (unless you lateral into a start up or just go through entrepeneurial route) after maybe finishing your GEs and electives at a local CC. I know a good amount of people who dedicated their time to a CC, come to a school like mine and graduated doing really well for themselves in ways they couldn't imagine.

You'll also be more likely to get aid (merit based if you can slay CC while studying your comp sci on your own), and once you're taking classes your self study will put you ahead of the curve in most intro to mid level programming courses (I study nothing with comp sci but did a bit of coding in my spare time and even that was enough to help me understand difficult concepts in a coding class that many engineers or CS majors had not, imagine your potential with the time you have !)

Just a first thought or so. Would help cover all that seems to be ailing you in terms of staying busy, working towards something, maintaining independence and developing a technical skillset that's applicable towards your future. Plus while it's boring as all hell in the beginning, later on coding and programming can be really entertaining for "creative" minds (I'm not that artistically inclined,but I could see the appeal)

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Don't do this. Almost every cert is worthless. If you want to make it in CS and become a programmer, either establish yourself by learning programming and contributing seriously to a project (or start your own!) or nail all your classes and get internships at every step -- even if you think you're grossly underqualified as a freshman or sophomore. Things like that will get employers to notice you. However, be prepared to make a strong case for yourself - companies are starting outsourcing coding overseas. Get a minor in business or something else so you see how you as a programmer fit in with the business as a whole.

9. Beck

Beck Senior member

10. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I see Occupy Wall Street in your future.

11. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Naivete. You can have respect for your neighbor; however, people are not hardwired to seek "equality." And besides, equality undoubtedly carries a different meaning across various parts of the world.

As you get older, the more likely you will find contentment in a simple life. I thought I always wanted to be rich. Drive a Lexus, buy Saville Row suits, own a vacation home, etc. After passing the age of thirty, I decided that becoming a 1%er is likely not in my future. However, I make a decent wage, have a nice girlfriend, and can save a few bucks for my retirement.

Another reason to get "edjumacated".

Last edited: May 23, 2012

12. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Adding value is so passe, too much work and under appreciated.

I'd stick to being a "con man" brings in the dough and we all know the $$ is all that matters rather than some measly societal value that people will take for granted.

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

My point: Don't come in with a cocky attitude when the OP is asking for opinions in determining the best direction for his life.

14. gort

gort Senior member

Strong humblebrag sns....lol who am I kidding? There was no trace of humility.

15. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

what do you do to make 6 figures?
    education/job
    and six figures is a big range $100,000 to $999,999