• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Security Clearance

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
I start a new job in a few weeks and have to get one, just not sure about the level required. I will be working on military programs, however. I was kinda curious. I read the application online and figured if I can pass the bar in several states and get a ccw, all with background checks, no problems. Only problem appears the feds speak to ex-spouses and my ex and I are not even on speaking terms. IN the words of Marion Berry, "That ***** set me up!" Fortunately, we didn't have a verbal or physically abusive marriage. I just hated her mother.

Depending on your level of clearance, you will need a lot of information.

Generally you will need to provide every address you have had in the last seven years and three people (with contact info) you have known at each address. Expect these people to be contacted, though they may not be.

Generally takes about six months if you've got a non-complicated background, but you should get your interim much faster.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I was 'seeing' a guy early last year who worked for the CIA. Counterintelligence stuff, if I remember correctly. He couldn't tell me what he did at all, but he did take me to a bookstore once, and showed me a couple of books his boss wrote.

I dumped him because:

1: Terrible kisser.

He was probably worried you'd accidentally break open the cyanide capsule in his tooth.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Depending on your level of clearance, you will need a lot of information.

Generally you will need to provide every address you have had in the last seven years and three people (with contact info) you have known at each address. Expect these people to be contacted, though they may not be.

Generally takes about six months if you've got a non-complicated background, but you should get your interim much faster.

I was going thru the form this evening. Lived at present for 9 years and same job for almost 10 so I am pretty uncomplicated

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I had a temporary one. Kind of a pain compiling all the info, but not that big a deal.
Congrats on the new gig. Given the security clearance I assume it's not a different position at GM?

you are quite correct. I have left generous motors and will be going to work for a defense contractor. more money, more responsibility, and more profitable industry. sounds like a win to me!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going thru the form this evening. Lived at present for 9 years and same job for almost 10 so I am pretty uncomplicated

Yeah I had a similar experience. Traveled and lived for some time overseas but all outside of the relevant time window.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you're not getting the Yankee White clearance, it will take about 6-10 months. I currently work for the government and had to provide past addresses with personal references of people that knew me at each location. Then I needed to get all my prints taken and sent to the FBI.

A friend of mine that was in the Army was going for secret clearance for an Army Intel position, and a DoD agent came to speak with me in person about him -- asking how he survived during a period of unemployment due to a lay-off longer than 6 months, if he took drugs, drank socially, etc. It took him 12 months to finally get the clearance.

Pundit

Reaction score
I got a TS/SCI clearance (now lapsed) about 20 years ago and much of what has been said about the data needed and potential hassles of the process is on the mark.

First off do your best to answer everything honestly and fully, remember to make copies for your records in case you every need to replicate the information, and try not to let the process drive you nuts.

Good luck in the dark side.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Could you tell us, what were the books?

I don't remember. I think the CIA erased my memory. I could unblock him on aim and ask though.

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
He was probably worried you'd accidentally break open the cyanide capsule in his tooth.

It would have been smart of him to break it on his own, probably would have gotten him laid if I had passed out.

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
First off do your best to answer everything honestly and fully, remember to make copies for your records in case you every need to replicate the information, and try not to let the process drive you nuts.

Nothing is more fatal to your clearance than lying on your clearance application.

I have had a security clearance for 20 years and have undergone 4 clearance investigations during that time. The government is actually agnostic on many private issues (unless you are in the military) and you should not be tempted to omit anything thinking it may disqualify you.

But don't take my word for it. Read the same handbook the clearance adjudicators use.

http://www.rjhresearch.com/ADR/index.htm

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of applying for Secret right now. Where I work, once they get the papers in it only takes a month or two. They never do any of the interviewing stuff until you hit TS, I don't think.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Counterintel is the secretest secret stuff there is. Only the keepers of the Teller-Ulam design are held to tighter scrutiny.

This may sound homophobic, but whatever -- I am surprised that CIA would let a gay guy nto counterintel. If they find out you drink more than one beer a week, they consider you a risk, and won't let you near the DO.

The NSA used to have a lot of fun asking you about homosexual acts you've performed during their interview process, even if you were straight and a goofy engineer.

KBW

Reaction score
Before I was in a serious relationship (now engaged) I looked at getting into the military (everyone in my family has been in service) and with my ASVAB score they wanted me to have a job with security clearance so I went into everything with this. They called EVERYONE I listed...all of my former girlfriends, people I had to list that knew me at previous addresses, former employers, family members, my pastor, the property manager at my condo, etc. The government goes extremely in depth for their security clearance. I ended up backing out before I signed any contracts due to my relationship and a few business opps but they have since contacted me many times to enlist. To add they look into your credit in depth as well among many other things.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
The NSA used to have a lot of fun asking you about homosexual acts you've performed during their interview process, even if you were straight and a goofy engineer.

So naturally you were denied your clearance, then?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a security clearance for their job? If so, what level and how much of a pain was it to get?

Yes, ..., Somewhat.

I'm surprised there are this many on a clothing forum.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
So naturally you were denied your clearance, then?

that's no way to talk to your father.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads