Securing vest to trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Louche, Jan 6, 2011.

1. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

A few months ago I saw some blog entries (can't remember which blog) chronicling the author's experience bespeaking a three-piece suit in Spain (I believe). The tailor included buttons to secure the vest to the trouser top, thereby preventing the dreaded shirt-revealing gap.

This seems like a very good idea to me. I have a three-piece that allows some shirt to sneak through over the course of the day and I was thinking of having buttons added to prevent that.

• Has anyone done this?
    • How did it work?
    • How many buttons are used and where are they placed?
    • Do either the trousers or vest need to be cut to specifically accommodate this bit of engineering?

2. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

A few months ago I saw some blog entries (can't remember which blog) chronicling the author's experience bespeaking a three-piece suit in Spain (I believe). The tailor included buttons to secure the vest to the trouser top, thereby preventing the dreaded shirt-revealing gap.

This seems like a very good idea to me. I have a three-piece that allows some shirt to sneak through over the course of the day and I was thinking of having buttons added to prevent that.

• Has anyone done this?
    • How did it work?
    • How many buttons are used and where are they placed?
    • Do either the trousers or vest need to be cut to specifically accommodate this bit of engineering?

4 buttons would be enough. but you must decide where to place the buttonholes, vest or trouser.

3. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

4 buttons would be enough. but you must decide where to place the buttonholes, vest or trouser.

I had assumed on the inside of the vest, so that it would remained overlapped against the outside of the trouser waist band. I was going to have the tailor use shirt buttons and simple loops rather than regular button holes.

A tailor - would doing this potentially limit my mobility (ability to lean over) since there is only a modest level of overlap to begin with?

4. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

I never have the shirt gap problem when I'm wearing trousers with braces/suspenders. Would that be a better solution?

5. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I never have the shirt gap problem when I'm wearing trousers with braces/suspenders. Would that be a better solution?

My shoulders slope too much to comforatably wear braces. The straps slide down my shoulders, and - if I'm wearing a vest - peek out of the vest, which creates an aesthetic problem of its own.

6. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

My shoulders slope too much to comforatably wear braces. The straps slide down my shoulders, and - if I'm wearing a vest - peek out of the vest, which creates an aesthetic problem of its own.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...in-madrid.html

Found the entry, it was on ASW. THis indicates that they only used two tabs. I would think a tailor's idea for four would work better, though. Need at least one in the back, I'd think.

7. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

You can see an example of this posted on Black Tie Guide for a white tie waistcoat. And I would assume that this is used in conjunction with braces. The button tab just serves as extra safety. [​IMG]

8. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

^

This fastening point is exactly what I was thinking instead of "real" buttonholes. Thanks for the pic.

9. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had assumed on the inside of the vest, so that it would remained overlapped against the outside of the trouser waist band. I was going to have the tailor use shirt buttons and simple loops rather than regular button holes.

A tailor - would doing this potentially limit my mobility (ability to lean over) since there is only a modest level of overlap to begin with?

4 loops and buttons would be cheaper than buttonholes.
    it will pull when you bend and sit. but elastic loops will make it more comfortable.
    give it a try. the loops and buttons can be easily removed.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

11. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

4 loops and buttons would be cheaper than buttonholes.
    it will pull when you bend and sit. but elastic loops will make it more comfortable.
    give it a try. the loops and buttons can be easily removed.

Yes, I think I'll do this. Is there any type of elastic webbing I should look for? I will want something super strong...