• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Secrets, tips, preferences when it comes to clothing

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do not fancy pique? Any particular reason why not?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend has limited my shoes purchases such that all new acquisitions must be followed by a donation and/or trashing of worn shoes. I've managed to curtail almost all new purchaes since the insitution of the above rule. Sadly, my bank account hasn't become any fatter since I redistributed the savings to a new budget home theater PC.

refreshtea

Reaction score
I never take off my watch ever (unless it is being repaired). Hence, the need for a quick drying PVC strap.

kcc

Reaction score
Simplicity is key ... bend the rules now and then ...

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rimshot.gif
I go for classic styles - straight from squaresville, no trends, and no fads. If it was good for The Duke, Cary, Ronald Colman, or that skinny dancer guy, then it is good enough for me. I wear natural fibers or mostly natural blends almost always. If I had my way, there would never be any microfiber within a thousand meters of anywhere I am ever going to be. I go easy on earth tones - no large expanses (jacket, shirt, or slacks) of anything beyond British tan and I do not do much with green. I try to avoid black before 1800 and rarely wear all black unless I have to do attitude adjustment on a vendor that day. I am very partial to shades of grey. For jackets, I like side-vents and one or two buttons cut low and I need a good bit of drape. For shoes and belts, I am very partial to Cordovan, particularly in the old blue/purple tone, as well as various crocodilians, but no faux anything, ever! For polo shirts, I much prefer silk, merino, Viyella, and cashmere although pique and mercerized is OK. Brooks Brothers has some shirts in what they refer to as a "cotton-cashmere" blend in their catalog that I am interested in learning more about. Hardly any real sweaters (I get too hot). Unless I am going to the gym or the car wash, I rarely travel any further than the dumpster in anything less than "Saturday business casual" (business casual with boat shoes). Whenever out of doors, a hat always - night or day. I have not owned a pair of blue jeans since I went straight and I intend to keep it that way. I would not be caught dead in jeans-and-a-tee-shirt. As an interesting aside, at least to me, Mr. Edward Fox, Jr., the actor, claims to have never warn a pair of blue jeans - bully for him! In addition, while this is off topic, I never touch sushi unless the vendor is buying! And, of course, I break these guidelines as I see fit.

chewy

Reaction score
For work (young lawyer):

only J Press suits (I know it's narrow-minded, but I found what I love)
only white shirts
NEVER french cuffs
rarely deviate from blue pinstripe
always suspenders, but only dark, solid colors, never loud or even a little stripe
tousled hair, curly

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate that little center box pleat on the back of dress shirts. I can't buy it if it has one. Maybe my tastes will change if I gain a lot of weight.

I don't like gorges/button stances which are too high. I know low gorge looks dated but some of these current designs are off the scale, they are way too high.

I can't bring myself to buy any shoe with a moc seam. No loafers, no norwegian derbies. I kind of like them from a purely aesthetic viewpoint but I can't bring myself to want to wear them at all.

I think Alden represents a superb value for their regular calf dress shoes.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chewy
For work (young lawyer):

only J Press suits (I know it's narrow-minded, but I found what I love)
only white shirts
NEVER french cuffs
rarely deviate from blue pinstripe
always suspenders, but only dark, solid colors, never loud or even a little stripe
tousled hair, curly

out of all the responses here i find yours the most interesting yet from a style point of view, most boring. dont think im trying to disrespect you or anything but why such strict rules. your so limited! its like a uniform

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads