• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Secret to greatness?

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting article that argues hard work and not necessarily talent (although you do have to have some sort of aptitude for what you are trying to accomplish) is the key to being successful.

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/great_1.html

-Jeff

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be an important key, to becoming successful. It is not, the key to greatness.

muelleran

Reaction score
Well, isn't there a saying that the key to succes is 10% talent and 90% hard work? So that's nothing new.
In addition I might add with Peter Drucker that succes comes with effectivenes - it is better to do the right things rather than just doing things right. So I would suggest that before you practice you figure out what exactly you need to be good at.
But I agree: greatness ist something different - I believe the key to greatness is generousity.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love the concept of "deliberate practice". from the article:

"For example: Simply hitting a bucket of balls is not deliberate practice, which is why most golfers don't get better. Hitting an eight-iron 300 times with a goal of leaving the ball within 20 feet of the pin 80 percent of the time, continually observing results and making appropriate adjustments, and doing that for hours every day - that's deliberate practice. "

my guess is that's Tiger Wood's non-competition day in a nutshell.

-Jeff

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Might be an important key, to becoming successful. It is not, the key to greatness.

just an FYI, i took the title from Yahoo. i don't think it's the key to greatness either.

-Jeff

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew that, but thanks for offering to explain.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't it Woody Allen that said that 90% of sucess was just being there?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great article. I've always believed that 'talent' was a useless concept in practical terms -- if it's something you either 'have' or 'don't have', then there's no use worrying about it. The world is full of 'talented' failures and 'untalented' successes.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
i love the concept of "deliberate practice". from the article:

"For example: Simply hitting a bucket of balls is not deliberate practice, which is why most golfers don't get better. Hitting an eight-iron 300 times with a goal of leaving the ball within 20 feet of the pin 80 percent of the time, continually observing results and making appropriate adjustments, and doing that for hours every day - that's deliberate practice. "

my guess is that's Tiger Wood's non-competition day in a nutshell.

-Jeff

Maybe the talent part comes in when you decide which adjustments to make.
The hard work of "deliberate practice" won't make you into Warren Buffet unless you have the intuitive process (talent) to make the right choice from the multitude presented. Possibly, that's what Buffet meant when he was speaking of being hard wired from birth.
Talent is only a small percentage of the formula but maybe it's the most important part.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's how I see it too, caelte. I could take painting lessons from now until the cows come home, and work from dawn, 'til dark. Velazquez, I'd never be. Same with any, great talent. Saint Laurent lasted for more than forty years, outdoing himself habitually, against enormous pressure, mental instability, and relentless competition. Nobody can practice hard enough, to perform like that.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
That's how I see it too, caelte. I could take painting lessons from now until the cows come home, and work from dawn, 'til dark. Velazquez, I'd never be. Same with any, great talent. Saint Laurent lasted for more than forty years, outdoing himself habitually, against enormous pressure, mental instability, and relentless competition. Nobody can practice hard enough, to perform like that.

To show the other side of the coin, permit me to point out Ben Hogan. Or, for that matter - Moe Norman. Both accomplished much more than their modest beginnings would have indicated. Both got to their pinnacles through continuous, diligent, thoughtful hard work and continuous adjustment.

Or, as Arthur Lydiard - the Kiwi Olympic coach - put it, "...there are great champions everywhere; every village, every town, every country"

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Maybe the talent part comes in when you decide which adjustments to make.
The hard work of "deliberate practice" won't make you into Warren Buffet unless you have the intuitive process (talent) to make the right choice from the multitude presented. Possibly, that's what Buffet meant when he was speaking of being hard wired from birth.
Talent is only a small percentage of the formula but maybe it's the most important part.

Why not just seek out other successful people to be coaches and mentors? Many if not most of the skills one person might have 'intuitively' can just as easily be 'learned'. Each of us is probably born with some given set of abilities that can be labeled 'talent', but I think the concept has limited value because it often keeps people focused on what they might not have as opposed to what they can achieve through focused, intentional application of effort.

Somewhere out there may be some guy who has 'naturally' developed the golf swing that Tiger Woods had to work to aquire. And another guy who 'naturally' developed the swing Tiger had before. And someone else who 'naturally' developed the one Tiger had before that. Tiger is no less successful because he had to acquire the swings through deliberate effort. In fact, it puts him at an advantage to perceive his success as entirely within his control and limited only by his willingness to work at it.

The factors will vary depending on the discipline, and obviously a 5'5" guy won't become Michael Jordan and the kid with dyslexia may not end up being the NYTimes Crossword Puzzle champion, but that doesn't mean they can't find a way to be very successful in these realms.

My take on it, anyway.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Many if not most of the skills one person might have 'intuitively' can just as easily be 'learned'. Each of us is probably born with some given set of abilities that can be labeled 'talent'...

Hope I'm not removing too much context, Quirk.

I think what Buffet is suggesting is that some part of his success mechanism wasn't learned.

I've had a guitar for years and fight to gain proficiency and so far, haven't done very well.

I do metalwork but that's different altogether.
The next step to getting better at it, comes almost like an inner voice.
Not a literal voice, but more than just a "feeling".
Even at the beginning I knew what tools to use instinctively.

I've taught metalwork and design here and there over the years and find that part of the process very difficult to transfer.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
To show the other side of the coin, permit me to point out Ben Hogan. Or, for that matter - Moe Norman. Both accomplished much more than their modest beginnings would have indicated. Both got to their pinnacles through continuous, diligent, thoughtful hard work and continuous adjustment.

Or, as Arthur Lydiard - the Kiwi Olympic coach - put it, "...there are great champions everywhere; every village, every town, every country"

Thanks, Thomas . . . I have a tendency to single out, artistic geniuses. Nobody could have worked his way 'up,' to becoming Velazquez, or Saint Laurent. Nobody.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads