• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Secret to going sockless?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn! I just rec'd a new pair of shoes (Air Blake cole haan boat shoes in milkshake suede), and decided to break them in a little before my upcoming trip in May.

Big mistake to wear them sockless I guess, my heel is torn to hell and both feet blistered! What is the secret to going sockless? Are there modifications people typically make to their shoes? I thought the "no-see" socks might be an option, but the underarmor socks I have in this style still show.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know this as well. I've worn some sneakers sockless and that has been fine. When I do I try to use a spray antiperspirant to keep the sweat down. I also try to make sure that the insole is removeable so I can wash it from time to time - though this is probably not feasible in dress shoes. Your problem may also be compounded by the fact that they are new shoes. New shoes are usually (for me anyways) a bit uncomfortable and take a few wears to break in, socks or no socks.

Anyone who does wear dress shoes sockless have any pointers?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Baby powder.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I rock the bare ankle all the time on weekends, though if it's particularly hot out or if I'll be wearing shoes for more than 2-3 hours, I wear the tiny athletic socks. I have some in black and some in brown and nobody can really see them thanks to my severe ankle cleavage.

Tip: you might have better luck finding more small/short socks in more colors in the women's department of most stores.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No secret really. I wear my chunky Aldens sockless all the time.

The funny thing is that my Sperrys are more uncomfortable sockless than my Aldens. Boat shoes need to be broken in. If you can't take the pain, I'd suggest you wear some socks and look like a tool.
tounge.gif

beau nash

Reaction score
I go sockless fairly often, but (1) only with loafers of some sort and (2) never with new shoes. The first is because I don't like the look of oxfords without socks. It just looks wrong. The exception to this is white or dirty bucks. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

The second caveat is because of the flexibility of the leather. New shoes are just not as pliable as old shoes. Once a pair of loafers gets broken in, the sides are soft and the heel is shaped to my foot. If they are worn in enough to slip on as house shoes to get the paper, they are worn in enough to wear sockless with jeans or khakis.

I do have a friend who goes sockless all the time, even with opera pumps. He lives in Manhattan and that, plus drinking G&Ts year round, is part of his exagerated Southern image.

Speaking of exagerated Dixie ex pats, has anyone been to the Billy Reid in NYC? I would love to hear a review.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aha, gotcha. So taking into account all the advice, sounds like I'd better stick to wearing these with socks and jeans / socks and khakis for a while to break them in, then wear sockless with foot powder. can always count on styleforum for good advice!

I won't be able to break them in before my trip to Dubai and the USA, but I think i can prob travel with them while wearing pants and socks. guess the new shorts I just foolishly bought (because they were too pricey for a damned pair of shorts) will have to go with flip flops for the near future
smile.gif

icedmocha

Reaction score
I almost always go sockless. I have a dryer feet. As mentioned, if you are going to and you sweat, baby powder is imperative. A spray-deodorant (underarm type) may help as well.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience with my Van Lier boat shoes. It just looked so damn nonchelant when other people did it, but after 1 kilometer my heels were worn to ****.

Don't worry, though. It's just the newness of the shoes. Wear them for a couple of weeks and try again. Small walks to begin with.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rede makes these great sockettes.. I wear them.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beau nash
The first is because I don't like the look of oxfords without socks. It just looks wrong. The exception to this is white or dirty bucks. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

2963_509418669773_103200073_30480082_2667939_n.jpg

2963_509418644823_103200073_30480081_2633215_n.jpg

Boooo!

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem going sockless with boat/driving shoes as their construction is pretty soft.

But when I've worn shoes that are of sturdier construction without socks, I've taken a pair of socks that were losing their elasticity in the leg and cut them very low so that none of it appears above the shoe.

They only last a couple of wearings if you hand wash them. I think they'd fall apart pretty quick in the washer. But I was about to get rid of them anyway.

The "no-show" socks I've purchased in the past must've been made for ankle boots. They always show.

mwill132

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I bought my C&J loafers that I wanted to wear sockless. I found socks at J&M that only cover your toes and heel. They look rediculous, but they won't be seen.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Banana Republic - Loafer socks". Problem solved, they're very tiny and don't show even on the lowest cut shoes. They LOOK sockless, but I can't imagine actually GOING sockless!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics