• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Secret to going sockless?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
"Banana Republic - Loafer socks". Problem solved, they're very tiny and don't show even on the lowest cut shoes. They LOOK sockless, but I can't imagine actually GOING sockless!
Yes, BR's loafer socks are the best of any brand that I've found. They don't show, and they stay on your feet. It's hard to find them in stock at BR though.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Yes, BR's loafer socks are the best of any brand that I've found. They don't show, and they stay on your feet. It's hard to find them in stock at BR though.

I've heard they are a sufficiently low cut -- and it's been confirmed by a salesperson -- but I have yet to see them in stock at any BR in Manhattan.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
I've heard they are a sufficiently low cut -- and it's been confirmed by a salesperson -- but I have yet to see them in stock at any BR in Manhattan.
On rare occasion when I find them in BR, I buy all they have left. Usually it's only one or two pairs.

awcollin

Reaction score
I've never had much luck with the BR socks. Not enough elasticity and they always seem to slip off the heel. I'm then always fixing them, which is more of an annoyance than simply not wearing socks. I may check out those that PG recommended though.

Cid

Reaction score
BR has them online - $14.50 for 2 pr excluding shipping.

I should give these a try. The J&M loafer socks don't stay on.

emorse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I rock the bare ankle all the time on weekends, though if it's particularly hot out or if I'll be wearing shoes for more than 2-3 hours, I wear the tiny athletic socks. I have some in black and some in brown and nobody can really see them thanks to my severe ankle cleavage.

Tip: you might have better luck finding more small/short socks in more colors in the women's department of most stores.

Yeah, you can pick up some mini socks at most department stores. Not sure if the women's department is always the best bet, but they do have them there. The "socks" ares sometimes made of the same nude color material as women's tights, so you look like your sockless but without the burn.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
I will also vouch for the BR loafer socks

Got lucky and bought 5 pairs on sale during xmas time at a BR here in dallas

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be creative. BR has nice socks but expensive and comes only in black and white. Not very versatile colors.

Go to local department store and check out women's socks section. They have all sorts of ultralow, "sockless" socks in all sorts of fancy springtime colors.

It adds a little dash of flair when the socks show. I have a whole bunch from Macy's, in red, orange, yellow, tan.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Going sockless with "loafer" socks is like going commando in tidy whities.

- B

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Going sockless with "loafer" socks is like going commando in tidy whities. - B
What a terrible attempt at humor. I don't know where you went the last few days, but I suggest you go back for a few more to work on regenerating some pejorative taunts that are actually witty and/or make sense.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
What a terrible attempt at humor.

I don't know where you went the last few days, but I suggest you go back for a few more to work on regenerating some pejorative taunts that are actually witty and/or make sense.

I apologize.

How's this? "Loafer" socks are like using condoms in state get-pounded-in-the-ass prison.

- B

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I apologize.

How's this? "Loafer" socks are like using condoms in state get-pounded-in-the-ass prison.

- B

fistbump.gif
And the old Vox is back
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Damn! I just rec'd a new pair of shoes (Air Blake cole haan boat shoes in milkshake suede), and decided to break them in a little before my upcoming trip in May.

Big mistake to wear them sockless I guess, my heel is torn to hell and both feet blistered! What is the secret to going sockless? Are there modifications people typically make to their shoes? I thought the "no-see" socks might be an option, but the underarmor socks I have in this style still show.

"What's the trick then?"

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
If you can't take the pain, I'd suggest you wear some socks and look like a tool.
tounge.gif

No! Don't look like a tool! It's much more comfortable (maybe cleaner too?) to wear loafer socks (not the athletic ankle socks). I buy them from here: http://www.comfilon.com/catalogopsoc...D-EDE6654A90A6

WARNING! As I've said in other posts, this link shows men wearing what is essentially panty hose! I know nothing about their other products (I swear!) but their loafer socks work really well. They have 3 styles (A83, C88, & C89), available each in beige or black. I have C89s and there is a smooth elastic band that keeps them in place; I have no slipping problems. They are low enough that they cannot be seen when I wear them with boat shoes (YMMV) - as evident in this AWESOME picture of my foot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads