• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SECRET SANTA 2016: THE OFFICIAL THREAD!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly made for some fun forum drama.
devil.gif
All you need for that is one pink tie, albeit an Attolini one.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that I appreciate the scarf.
Sure, it would be nice to have a pink tie, a clothes brush, a ticket to NYC, or Himalayan salt (I'm on the fence with the creepy horse mask), but the scarf is nice even by itself.
Have a great day everyone!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And a free plane ticket to..think it was NYC?
I k ow the pink tie story, what is the plane ticket story?
@Connemara was gifted a ticket to Andy's event in NYC after he complained about the price. He did not get on the flight, and, iirc, had a lame excuse weeks or months afterwards. Not much of a story, other than that we already knew that if Connemara looks a gift horse in the mouth, that he might shoot it to make glue.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think the gifter was Kabbaz, no?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that I appreciate the scarf.
Sure, it would be nice to have a pink tie, a clothes brush, a ticket to NYC, or Himalayan salt (I'm on the fence with the creepy horse mask), but the scarf is nice even by itself.
Have a great day everyone!
This is a great spirit.

It's the holidays, guys. For me, I participate in this not because I want to receive, but because it's fun to give., and I feel that I can say this with no hypocrisy, since I've always given pretty good gifts (fine bourbons - some of my favorite bottles - designer clothes that I myself would wear and that I reached to to figure out the right size, etc...), while, last year, I was the one who received @edinatlanta 's glass pickle (which he will never get back, and no, this is not an invitation to always give me Edina.)

I understand the disappointment at not receiving something cool (and I have my new water flask right beside me). At the same time, it's really not worth getting worked up about. That just sorta kills the spirit. Not worth it. I give, and hope, but never expect, to receive, in this exchange, and am always happy to receive whatever it is in the mail, within reason.

I propose that next year, that we pay an "entrance fee", that Styleforum can hold until the end of the season. The purpose of the pool is to hold people accountable, but perhaps more importantly, to get some cool stuff for people who did not receive a gift. If I am the one choose, you will get a belt (always in my top 3 gifts, and I get one every year), a scarf, or a stocking leg lamp, if I can find one.

What say you?

Cheers,

Fok.

Cheers,

Fok.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better late than never, but just to announce to everyone that @Jr Mouse is a man after my own heart. A nice selection of salsa and hot sauce (with bonus pecan butter and BBQ sauce) sourced locally, with an interesting cookbook as well. I am rather fond of lathering hot sauce and chili over my food, so these in particular will come in useful, though I must say pumpkin salsa sounds rather suspicious. Thank you and (a somewhat belated) Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is a great spirit.

It's the holidays, guys.  For me, I participate in this not because I want to receive, but because it's fun to give., and I feel that I can say this with no hypocrisy, since I've always given pretty good gifts (fine bourbons - some of my favorite bottles - designer clothes that I myself would wear and that I reached to to figure out the right size, etc...), while, last year, I was the one who received @edinatlanta
's glass pickle (which he will never get back, and no, this is not an invitation to always give me Edina.)  

I understand the disappointment at not receiving something cool (and I have my new water flask right beside me).  At the same time, it's really not worth getting worked up about.  That just sorta kills the spirit.  Not worth it.  I give, and hope, but never expect, to receive, in this exchange, and am always happy to receive whatever it is in the mail, within reason.

I propose that next year, that we pay an "entrance fee", that Styleforum can hold until the end of the season.  The purpose of the pool is to hold people accountable, but perhaps more importantly, to get some cool stuff for people who did not receive a gift.  If I am the one choose, you will get a belt (always in my top 3 gifts, and I get one every year), a scarf, or a stocking leg lamp, if I can find one.

What say you?

Cheers,

Fok.

Cheers,

Fok.

Great post Fok.

I've already proposed to /slash the idea of following the thrift SS exchange lead and having a small entrance fee that would be donated to the yearly charity auction you run. Having said that I like your idea too. Perhaps we can work out something that mixes these two ideas?

Cheers!

Last edited:

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great post Fok.

I've already proposed to /slash the idea of following the thrift SS exchange lead and having a small entrance fee that would be donated to the yearly charity auction you run. Money wouldn't be returned but it's all for an excellent cause.

Cheers!

I am in on this.

So basically this Rich 0119 guy paid for postage for a scarf in exchange for a salt lick and Kent brush???

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This is a great spirit.

It's the holidays, guys.  For me, I participate in this not because I want to receive, but because it's fun to give., and I feel that I can say this with no hypocrisy, since I've always given pretty good gifts (fine bourbons - some of my favorite bottles - designer clothes that I myself would wear and that I reached to to figure out the right size, etc...), while, last year, I was the one who received @edinatlanta
's glass pickle (which he will never get back, and no, this is not an invitation to always give me Edina.)  

I understand the disappointment at not receiving something cool (and I have my new water flask right beside me).  At the same time, it's really not worth getting worked up about.  That just sorta kills the spirit.  Not worth it.  I give, and hope, but never expect, to receive, in this exchange, and am always happy to receive whatever it is in the mail, within reason.

I propose that next year, that we pay an "entrance fee", that Styleforum can hold until the end of the season.  The purpose of the pool is to hold people accountable, but perhaps more importantly, to get some cool stuff for people who did not receive a gift.  If I am the one choose, you will get a belt (always in my top 3 gifts, and I get one every year), a scarf, or a stocking leg lamp, if I can find one.

What say you?

Cheers,

Fok.

Cheers,

Fok.

Great post Fok.

I've already proposed to /slash the idea of following the thrift SS exchange lead and having a small entrance fee that would be donated to the yearly charity auction you run. Having said that I like your idea too. Perhaps we can work out something that mixes these two ideas?

Cheers!

I was going to enter this exchange this year, but never got around to the actual "sign up" part of it. I run the gift exchange in the thrift thread. We average around 60 people/year that participate. I'd say we have a person flake out every year, it's inevitable. Sometimes it's a long-time member, other times a newer guy.

I set hard dates for people to sign up and send their donation. If I have someone sign up but hasn't sent his donation, I'll send a reminder before the cut off date. However, if they miss the deadline for donation, I drop them from the list. If they can't follow one deadline, I assume there is a good chance they won't follow through with a gift, so it's a simple step to weed out the slackers. In 5 years, we've had 5-6 people not receive something (that I know of) and I can't expect much better numbers.

Other than a donation, you just have to have 100 posts and send me contact info. If/when a gift doesn't show, I just pass along the username to the intended recipient. They can work it out or publicly shame them, but I don't send out contact details.

I really like the public shaming that takes place here, it gives me the same satisfied feeling as the annual airing of grievances during Festivus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads