Secret Sales - UK online retailer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ShaneB, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with this lot:

http://secretsales.com/home/

Cheap / discounted goods? They apparently source last seasons goods from suppliers and have limited run sales (usually 7 days).

They seem legit - registered company / VAT number - although they have abysmal reviews online, some even saying they're flogging fake gear.

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience?

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Looks like yet another rip-off of Gilt (in the US) and Vente Privee (in Europe).

3. Alfred001

Alfred001 Well-Known Member

Found this thread through googling, trying to find out about this store, does anyone have any experience with them? Are they indeed selling fakes?

What about these sites Sanguis Mortuum mentioned, Gilt and Vente Privee? Do they sell legitimate stuff?

4. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

avoid 'Secret Sales' at ALL costs.

the owners are two brothers who get hold of tat in bulk and sell it to unweary customers through these 'sales'. ive heard they intimidate anyone who has the nerve to complain later on down the line.

dandy/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

5. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

incidently the older brother was a well known drug peddler in nw london .. the two brothers later graduated to this 'designer clothes' business.

be warned.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Seems dubious.

Why on earth would anyone need to register to see what merchandise is being offered?

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Occasionally there are legit shopping sites where one has to register and become a member in order to see the merchandise. e.g. Jack Threads.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

8. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

I've shopped at Vente Privee and it seems to be legit. It's all limited quantities of a small selection of stuff so my guess is it's just end of line stock that someone wants to get rid of.

Shipping was slow though. I think it took them a couple of weeks just to dispatch.

9. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

i think vente privee is the dominant player in this business and created this model in france, since then other smaller guys in the rag trade have tried to rip the idea off, and ofcourse crooks moved in at the bottom end too (i guess if you get hold of some dodgy stuff it makes a good way to move it).

dandy.

10. Alfred001

Alfred001 Well-Known Member

Quote: Is that beyond doubt that Jack Threads is legit? Because this business of not showing merchandise until registering makes no sense at all, why wouldn't you want people to see what you're offering.

Quote: Thanks for the info!

Does Vente Privee take only American Express?

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

They're a sponsor of a Revision3 tech podcast I watch, that's how I heard of them. It's basically a members only discount club. Primarily SW&D type gear though rather than MC, which tends to be high mark-up, so they can probably sell stuff at a heavy discount and still make a profit. A subsidiary of Thrillist in NYC, and I'm quite sure Thrillist is a legit operation. I've never actually bought anything from them though, because Jack Threads is in the US and I'm in China.

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Because it creates an illusion of exclusivity.

13. Lumy

Lumy New Member

Hi i just purchase an order with secretsales ...is about one watch who cost 390£ (isaved somenthing like 1400£) i have 30 mins from i send the order after this i say lets read the reviws of the website and i m scared cuz everyone said that are not honest and they sale fakes ...what i should do? I pay with my paypal account....:embar::embar::embar: