1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Secondhand bespoke sportcoat worth tailoring?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TTUGuy, May 15, 2019 at 7:35 PM.

1. TTUGuy

TTUGuy Member

So I'm a bit of a menswear noob, sorry for any technical errors.

I was on ebay and impulse bought a 2016 Oxxford charcoal bespoke sport coat for $175 shipped. I thought it would fit better than it does from the measurements they posted (which matched my current suit jacket pretty closely), but it fits around the shoulders but otherwise large all around. At minimum:
    1. Sleeves need to be taken up 2 inches at the shoulder because of surgeon cuffs
    2. Back/waist needs to be pulled in an inch or two.

see pictures in reply below.

Is it worth all this tailoring?

It's a gorgeous garment, much nicer than I could afford new, but it seems like it will be expensive and is it going to wreck the quality that makes it so nice to begin with?

Would I be better off throwing this jacket back on ebay and spending the money on a M2M from suit supply or somewhere else? My last OTR required over $200 in tailoring because I am 50R with short arms, square shoulders and a barrel chest.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 8:51 PM

2. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

3. MrUsedThreads

MrUsedThreads Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

I feel like tailored jackets can be really hard to buy on eBay unless you're familiar with the brand and model. Also, if you're new to wearing tailored jackets, it can help to find someone who can guide you, ideally in person, on how a jacket should fit. Some guys expect suit jackets and sport coats to fit like casual outerwear, so then they end up with something too tight or short.

It's hard to say whether you should keep that jacket without seeing photos. Generally, I find Oxxford is high in make, but lacks something in style. Depending on your build, if you're on a budget, you may be better off with something like Suitsupply.

5. TTUGuy

TTUGuy Member

So on second thought the collar roll is probably not as bad as I thought and after looking at my other suit and sport coat it is on par with what I have been wearing for years. It looks particularly bad if I'm in more of an aggressive posture and not fully relaxed like these images. However overall the jacket does still feel a bit frumpy and big. I'm already fat, don't need frumpy clothes adding to that.

I really can't justify right now more than $500 on a sports jacket or maybe $1000 on a suit. It's just not in the budget.

IMG_20190515_222441.jpg

IMG_20190515_222447.jpg

IMG_20190515_222535.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 8:49 PM

6. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

From the photos it is difficult to say that an alterations tailor would be able to make it look the way you want. The shoulders look too big for you and then the rest of the jacket follows suit from there. It's possible to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder, but you're still dealing with armholes that are too large, etc., etc. The jacket is too large overall. I'd move it on.

7. TTUGuy

TTUGuy Member

Thanks, appreciate the insight.

8. dieworkwear

My feeling is to move on, but I've been surprised to see what a good alterations tailor can do. If you get that altered, however, you should expect to pay a bit of money (just because it's a more complicated job than just nipping the waist or taking up the sleeves).

Jeffery D, a tailor here, put it well once when he said almost anything can be done to a sport coat, but it's like transforming a regular car into a convertible. You may be able to do it, but you can also just buy a convertible outright and not have to deal with the risks of a hatchet job.

If you want to, you can always take that to an alterations tailor and see what they say. From the looks of those photos, that might be an orphaned suit jacket -- so beware.

Suitsupply sometimes has online sales, where you can pick up clothes for about 50% off (roughly). Otherwise, a sports coat from them will run you about $500-ish. Brooks Brothers on sale will be around there as well, and their suits on sale are about $1,000-ish. They have both mid-season and end-of-the-season sales where you can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% off.

I should stress though: I really think guys benefit from having an honest and skilled salesperson/ tailor (assuming you can find one nowadays -- it can be tough). If you're not a standard fit and/ or somewhat new to wearing tailored clothing, it can be hard to know when something fits well. It takes a bit of trial and error, and sometimes even posting on this board isn't as helpful as talking to a real professional. Photos don't always convey the entire story and most people here aren't actual tailors. It doesn't hurt to get honest feedback here, but it's also very worth talking to a sales associate and/ or tailor in person, rather than trying to cycle through purchases on eBay by yourself (ie buy and return, buy and return).

Best of luck!

9. TTUGuy

TTUGuy Member

Where would you suggest going? I live in Dallas, so I have most major outlets including suit supply and the like fitting rooms. I had a Jos A Bank Signature Gold suit and a sports jacket from the same line, wasn't the best suit in the world but I always felt confident in it. I would like my next suit to be a step-up from that, but there are so many options and being a large guy (50R jacket, 44 pants) I'm at the very top (or past the top) of a lot of "regular" product lines and the very bottom of most "big and tall" lines.

10. TTUGuy

TTUGuy Member

Yeah I kinda had that thought, but I let my eagerness and optimism get the better of me... I had some dream of a bespoke quality jacket for $400 after tailoring. Ignoring the fact I don't really know when I would wear a charcoal sports jacket :confused2:. Man it's hard being a cheap-ass with expensive desires.

Unfortunately it was a no returns ebay sale so now I gotta resell it :(

11. dieworkwear

Hm, I'm not sure, to be honest. My usual recommendation for guys who are looking to get an affordable suit is Suitsupply, but those are more for the 36-42 size range. Brooks Brothers is a step up in price (whether someone likes the style more is a personal choice -- Brooks is a little more conservative). I don't know the market very well for a size 50R.

There may be other members here who have better direct experience.

12. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

Are you sure @TTUGuy will find anything at SuitSupply? Given his particular morphology, I'd look elsewhere.

Alan Bee

13. TTUGuy

TTUGuy Member

Ha! "particular morphology" very technical and polite way of saying I'm fat. I appreciate the sensitivity, but I'm not particularly self conscious about it. That being said I guess it's not just being fat, even back when I was in 34 pants I wore a 48R or 50R jacket, my ROTC SGT hated me because it was a pain in the ass to get me a proper fitting uniform.

14. Alan Bee

Alan Bee Senior Member

@TTUGuy

Not at all sir. I am hardly what you would consider "fat" (6' 1", 196lbs of lean mass). I dare not wear SuitSupply unless I want to give the impression the circus is in town. I can't get their trousers (in my waist size) past my calf for instance. The jacket? Forget it ....

IMHO, the typical SS cut/pattern is aimed at the skinny runway model type body. It doesn't look good on anyone else including average build adult men.

Alan Bee