1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Second Life for a Suit [pictorial]

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NOBD, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Does she have/use a serger? I was always amazed at how many bobbins/spools those things used.

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Does she have/use a serger? I was always amazed at how many bobbins/spools those things used.

No, just the Toshiba posted earlier in the thread.

3. Incman

Incman Senior member

Super late to the party, but this is absolutely amazing.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Pimping OTR with hand stitching and MOP buttons is an option too: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jaw dropping. I love this.

5. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

um now when do we see your bespoke shirts and pants? i expect evolution! Plus the quality and craftsmanship is so top notch its only the natural progression.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

[​IMG]
    For brilliance in lining, this stands out.

The closest rivals I recall here are a blue OCBD shirt with a blue gingham collar and cuff trim a member bespoked, and the red (?) coat lining in one of PGs jackets. Even Rye liked that one.

Great lining, and a wonderful piece of work.

7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Super late to the party, but this is absolutely amazing.

Thank you, Incman.

Jaw dropping. I love this.

Thank you, Huntsman.

um now when do we see your bespoke shirts and pants? i expect evolution! Plus the quality and craftsmanship is so top notch its only the natural progression.

My bespoke shirts are made by the tailor who has more than once generously donated some of his leftover shirting material to be used for these 'projects'. Trousers are quite difficult to get right, I think, and pattern making is a different skill.

For brilliance in lining, this stands out.

The closest rivals I recall here are a blue OCBD shirt with a blue gingham collar and cuff trim a member bespoked, and the red (?) coat lining in one of PGs jackets. Even Rye liked that one.

Great lining, and a wonderful piece of work.

Thank you. I like the button with it too.

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

A New Polo/Blouse (?)

Fabric:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabric, yarn and buttons (the pink twill is for the inside of the collar stand):

[​IMG]

Cutting the collar band (the pink fabric for the inside):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut - outside and inside of the stand:

[​IMG]

Little helping hand:

[​IMG]

9. bubbleboys

bubbleboys Senior member

...I just found this thread and you sir, as well as your gf, are ridiculous.

The finished product doesn't look good, it looks pretty damn great IMO

my hat off to you and your gf

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Thank you, bubbleboys.

Watch very carefully, I shall show this only once...

[​IMG]

On the collar:

[​IMG]

That's all for now.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

The (polo) placket (?). I'm afraid I don't how this works exactly, but there's some pinning, folding, sewing and cutting involved. Hopefully the pictures make the construction of the placket a bit clearer.

Extra layers of fabric:

[​IMG]

Stitch:

[​IMG]

Cut open:

[​IMG]

Fold:

[​IMG]

Under the machine again:

[​IMG]

Ready (except for the button holes and buttons):

[​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]

12. academe

academe Senior member

Late coming to the thread but this is awesome. The best thread I've read/seen in a long long time! It put a smile on my face immediately .... [​IMG]

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Thank you, academy.

Collar pinned:

[​IMG]

Collar stitched:

[​IMG]

Stand pinned on collar:

[​IMG]

Collar pinned on blouse:

[​IMG]

A bit clearer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. UFN

UFN Senior member

Just adding another voice to the heap of praise for you and your gf already in this thread - I hope you continue posting your creations [​IMG] /U. BTW, who thinks up the designs, you or your significant other?

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Just adding another voice to the heap of praise for you and your gf already in this thread - I hope you continue posting your creations [​IMG]

/U.

BTW, who thinks up the designs, you or your significant other?

Thank you, UFN. We do the designs together (as far as fabrics, colours and details are concerned; the patterns are existing patterns).

16. winston

winston Senior member

I've only looked at the first post and the photos, so someone else might have said this, but my first thought is that it's a shame that after so much work the coat will very quickly become too small for your daughter.

17. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

Epic, by far the best thread I have read on SF in a long time.

I shall insist that Lady Canuker check this one out.

18. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I've only looked at the first post and the photos, so someone else might have said this, but my first thought is that it's a shame that after so much work the coat will very quickly become too small for your daughter.

I understand. But there will always be other children (children of family and friends) that can wear the coat and the other clothes, when my daughter has grown out of them. And maybe my daughter will have a daughter some day.

Besides that, it is gratifying to make something for your child. I didn't make these clothes, but I made her a 'playing table' a few years ago and I really enjoyed doing that, even though she doesn't play with it every day.

Thank you, Mr Canuker.

19. winston

winston Senior member

I understand. But there will always be other children (children of family and friends) that can wear the coat and the other clothes, when my daughter has grown out of them. And maybe my daughter will have a daughter some day.

Besides that, it is gratifying to make something for your child. I didn't make these clothes, but I made her a 'playing table' a few years ago and I really enjoyed doing that, even though she doesn't play with it every day.

Thank you, Mr Canuker.

Absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't worthwhile. I think it's fantastic.

20. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't worthwhile. I think it's fantastic.

I understand. Thank you, winston.