• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Interview and no other suit in my closet!

Lino

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions and opinions.

I have a second interview next week (actually third, since I had two in a row yesterday). Since I do not have to wear suits for work and I am just starting to rebuild my wardrobe, I am caught short. I have: one winter suit that is staying in the closet; the first suit I ever bought for myself (over 15 years ago) which after recent alterations is servicable, but not interview material; and a sportscoat and trouser combo (check jacket and black trousers"”save comments on the trousers for another thread ;-) ) that is too dressed down in my opinion and the cuffs on the jecket need to be shortened now that I know better. Which leaves me with the suit I wore yesterday.

So, my options are:
1) Stress out and try to find a new suit tomorrow that does not need too much alteration.

2) Don't stress about the clothing and wear the same suit and change up the tie. Leaving time to remain calm, research more about the company and think about what questions I may be asked at a high level interview.

3) ____________ you suggestion here __________

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If yesterday's suit is a solid charchoal or navy (not a busy pattern) then I say wear a different color shirt and tie (maybe shoes too) and you'll be fine. Better than frantically purchasing something that you'll most certainly regret later. If they liked you enough to invite you back, I doubt they'll be snickering: "he wore the same suit again...".

Relax and good luck!

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
If yesterday's suit is a solid charchoal or navy (not a busy pattern) then I say wear a different color shirt and tie (maybe shoes too) and you'll be fine. Better than frantically purchasing something that you'll most certainly regret later. If they liked you enough to invite you back, I doubt they'll be snickering: "he wore the same suit again...".

Relax and good luck!

Nope, Navy pinstripe. I'm in the creative field, so I get to break away from the full on interview uniform a bit.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
Nope, Navy pinstripe. I'm in the creative field, so I get to break away from the full on interview uniform a bit.

Even so-I suspect since you applied for a JOB, they know you're not independently wealthy. Clean shirt, new tie, new shoes if you have them. Head held high and in for round two.

If it goes well or not, I would suggest a search in earnest for another one.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino

Can you therefore break away to an odd jacket and trousers?

I would probably still go with the navy pinstripe suit again and change everything else--tie, shirt, shoes, belt, pocket square, socks... If they want to hire you, they won't penalize you for owning only one suit.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you in a job market? Then, you should expect to have more interviews. So it is logical that you go out and buy 2 suits tomorrow. Go out there and explain your situation to your sales rep. Have one suit altered by Sunday. I am sure they can do it.

Unless you have odd size body, you can fit in RTW suit. It's up to you how much money you want to spend on suits. But seriously, take Friday off or call sick and go out there and get suits dude!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Uh, he may not need two more suits MilanoStyle. One is perfectly fine until he GETS the job.

onthelistbaby

Reaction score
I agree. Wear the pinstripe again, change up the accessories, but you might as well get another decent suit - or at least an odd coat and pants that you'd feel comfortable interviewing in.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onthelistbaby
I agree. Wear the pinstripe again, change up the accessories, but you might as well get another decent suit - or at least an odd coat and pants that you'd feel comfortable interviewing in.

Good follow-up advice. After the second interview, shop aggressively for a second suit and odd jacket/trousers you're comfortable wearing. You don't want to repeat this experience, but you also don't want to rush into a major purchase like a suit.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Uh, he may not need two more suits MilanoStyle. One is perfectly fine until he GETS the job.

One is good, better than none, for sure. But, like I said. If you are in a job market, you are likely going to get more job interviews. It is all matter of how style conscious person you are. The least thing I want to worry about in the job interview is "are they going to notice that I am wearing the same suit as the last time?"

Lino

Reaction score
Going to get the odd Jacket I have altered and in the future perhaps use that for the first interview, so I have the navy pinstrip for a second.

If these were winter, there would be no problem and I'd just pull out the navy winter weight.

Jill

Reaction score
I wouldn't advise wearing the odd jacket for a first interview. You know, first impressions and all that. Unless you KNOW for a fact that the entire staff, including the interview-er will be dressed down, then only a suit is appropriate. What were folks wearing around the office when you went in for the first interview? Take your cue from that. IMO, your best bet would be a different colored shirt AND tie to create a completely different look. Then start shopping ASAP for that solid gray interview suit.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You didn't specify but if the second interview is with different people, all the more reason to wear the pinstripe again with different accessories.

In any event, I know men who have six of the same blue pinstripe suit and wear one of them every day. It works for them, and as long as your suit is pressed who is to know that you aren't one of them?

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Wear the same suit and a different tie. This just shows that you are a serious person to the employer.
I agree. Nobody said you had to have multiple suits for now, but ties and shirts are easy to buy and can change the look of a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads