• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Hand Clothes

Have you ever bought second hand clothes?

• Yes

Votes: 62 91.2%
  • No, but I would like to

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No, I wouldn't buy either

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

bhammond

Reaction score
When I was younger, most of my wardrobe was from resale shops. Partially because I had no money but mainly because I could find interesting things; nubby, raw silk jackets, fuzzy mohair sweaters, silver sharkskin suits. This was, of course, before the interwebs helped make global resale and vintage clothing so accessible and competitive. Knowledge of environmental impact has increased its importance (feel good factor) for me but I think it still goes back to finding interesting things (relatively) cheaply. I'll always do a double-take on old Gaultier and really old Givenchy. I don't thrift much anymore but I have a number of sellers on the standard set of sites I watch (including @SpooPoker).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was younger, most of my wardrobe was from resale shops. Partially because I had no money but mainly because I could find interesting things; nubby, raw silk jackets, fuzzy mohair sweaters, silver sharkskin suits. This was, of course, before the interwebs helped make global resale and vintage clothing so accessible and competitive. Knowledge of environmental impact has increased its importance (feel good factor) for me but I think it still goes back to finding interesting things (relatively) cheaply. I'll always do a double-take on old Gaultier and really old Givenchy. I don't thrift much anymore but I have a number of sellers on the standard set of sites I watch (including @SpooPoker).

Appreciate that and have a killer and rare set of vintage Gaultier coming up in November!

FPB

Reaction score
Coats, sport coats, and sweaters - yes. No to everything else, especially shoes.

Davewillbox

Reaction score
When I was at university I thrifted quite a lot. However where I live in Brisbane there isn't a lot of quality gear in the second hand stores, so now it's mostly online. I'd put the ability to purchase quality second hand gear online as one of the main reasons I'm now interested in menswear. Over the past 10 years it's allowed me to try new styles and explore brands I'd likely never have done otherwise.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stigma against thrift stores usually stems, IME, from the thought of wearing something that someone else has worn to bits - or unfashionable clothing options that might make it seem like one cannot afford new clothes.

What most fail to realize is that there are so many perfectly good, like-new clothes that are just given away all the time, or at worst they have easily repairable issues like a torn seam, etc.

As for the last worry, sometimes the older things are the better-made or even more fashionable ones these days. The trick is being able to spot the good from the bad.

Happy person

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answers

Another question!
Do you prefer to buy it on the internet or a physical store?

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I have bought a lot of used stuff online (thanks Spoo!), but only one pair of boots (Wolverine 1000 Mile). There is something of an ick factor when it coems to shoes/boots, in part because feet are smelly, and because they can't be washed like other items. Most of my recent purchases have been used. I have bought knitwear, jackets, a few shirts, and a couple of pairs of trousers used. Oh, and my favourite ever garment, a Norwegian Rain DB, for £109! I buy because its environmentally better, and I can get great quality barely-used stuff (I don't think that the Norwegian Rain had ever been worn, for instance) at a fraction of the retail price. I could probably afford to buy that kind of stuff new but I wouldn't - it feels like too much money and not good value. Buying used allows me to indulge my desire to buy clothes more affordably and with less guilt.

I'd prefer to buy physical but there are not many shops which have the range of high-quality menswear, and I'm certainly not going shopping in person during a pandemic! So it is almost entirely online.

willyto

Reaction score
I buy second hand clothes all the time. Literally. From 100 years old to current production. Why would I pay full price for something I can't afford if I can find it for peanuts somewhere else? I would like to buy new and full price but I can't so I hunt for second hand clothes from the brands I like but are way too expensive and buy full price for those I want to support and can afford even if it takes some effort.

monkey66

Reaction score
All the time but I am fussy. If an eBay item is not exactly as described I will often return it. I am fair but only want clothes I am actually able to wear. If I misread then it is on me.

I only tend to buy new or very almost new/hardly worn.

Buying used appeals to my conscious and my pocket.

I also sell a lot as I cycle and develop my wardrobe.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definetly a yes and I don't understand the people that said no. Like I really don't get it at all.
You don't get that there are people out there that cringe at the thought of putting a foot in some stranger's worn shoe?
Like, I really don't get that at all...

willyto

Reaction score
You don't get that there are people out there that cringe at the thought of putting a foot in some stranger's worn shoe?
Like, I really don't get that at all...
Because there's obviously no middle point here. It either has to be new or a sweaty worn shoe.

There are a ton of clothes out there that have barely been used, like once, twice a few times and show no wear, no odours, no stains, nothing. Same with shoes, specially now that most people buy online, they buy a pair of shoes, try it on, they don't fit and they just resell them because can't be bothered to return.

Second clothes includes all that, not just sweaty shoes.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because there's obviously no middle point here. It either has to be new or a sweaty worn shoe.

There are a ton of clothes out there that have barely been used, like once, twice a few times and show no wear, no odours, no stains, nothing. Same with shoes, specially now that most people buy online, they buy a pair of shoes, try it on, they don't fit and they just resell them because can't be bothered to return.

Second clothes includes all that, not just sweaty shoes.
Not knocking anyone who's into it.
Just saying there are people who find it abhorrent.
"I get" both points of view.
It's not for me. I've also never bought a used car...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate to be at a point in my life where I am able to buy my clothes first hand. That’s not to say I don’t look for a deal, but I don’t feel the need to look for them second hand.

That someone “doesn’t get that” has no bearing on this.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of secondhand clothing is not about saving money. Some secondhand clothing can be more expensive than buying new. It's about creating a look. Vintage chore coats, trucker jackets, jewelry, belts, jeans, parkas, etc look better than the stuff that you can buy new nowadays. A vintage Patagonia fleece can have a deeper pile. Vintage denim has cooler looking fades. Vintage jewelry or belts can be like wearing art.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads