• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Hand Clothes

Have you ever bought second hand clothes?

• Yes

Votes: 65 91.5%
  • No, but I would like to

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • No, I wouldn't buy either

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Happy person

Reaction score
In this forum I want to share and be aware of opinions about second hand clothes.

Have you ever bought this type of clothing? If you haven't, would you be willing to do this?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I frequently buy second hand clothes and shoes. It's a great way to get amazing clothing for far less than new. Many times you can find them extremely lightly used. It's a fantastic way to look great at a marginal cost.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely do, mainly because my tastes are very narrow. That said, I've purchased used leather jackets from time to time on eBay, or vintage military clothing from vintage shops, so when the opportunity presents itself and it's something I want, sure. In my mind, new clothes are "second hand" the minute I take them home, so if they were cared for properly, I would have no problem buying and wearing them in theory.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
It's an effective way to get a bunch of trial items for dirt cheap when you're starting out, to figure out fits and styles that work for you. After a while though, once you've gotten to the point where you are slowly adding items to your wardrobe, and you're still feeling kind of frugal, it's probably more efficient to just buy fewer items and get them new from a proper mid-market shop like Spier & Mackay or Nordstrom, because finding used things that fit, are in good condition, and with style that works for you can be an incredibly difficult and time-consuming process, in the "good, cheap, or easy: you can only pick two" way.

stevemcgee99

Reaction score
I usually do, because my tastes are very narrow.

In my case, makers don't make what I want. At least very rarely.

I'm skinny. Wear size 38 jackets. Why would I have the same width lapel as a size 50 jacket??????????????????????

And, guess where the waist is? And, what does taper mean? I rarely can find pants I want.

So my alternatives are used clothes or bespoke. Guess which I can afford regardless of the economy ;) ?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will find that there are a large number of people who buy second hand clothes on this forum ala @SpooPoker and Luxeswap at the very least!

Happy person

Reaction score
Very interesting the answers in the forum.

I have another question to continue our conversation: What is the main reason to purchase this type of clothing? economic reasons, environmental reasons, reasons like our partner @stevemcgee99 or for other reasons?

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Previously closeted. I'm sticking with this.

Why?: for the last few years I do not like what is in stores. I don't like narrow ties or narrow lapels. Often do not like current suiting either.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an effective way to get a bunch of trial items for dirt cheap when you're starting out, to figure out fits and styles that work for you. After a while though, once you've gotten to the point where you are slowly adding items to your wardrobe, and you're still feeling kind of frugal, it's probably more efficient to just buy fewer items and get them new from a proper mid-market shop like Spier & Mackay or Nordstrom, because finding used things that fit, are in good condition, and with style that works for you can be an incredibly difficult and time-consuming process, in the "good, cheap, or easy: you can only pick two" way.
What's even better is that the S&M B/S/T thread exists. I've gotten great clothing off there.

Happy person

Reaction score
It's true, second hand clothes is a very good way to be fashionable and cheaply.

And, which article of clothing do you prefer to buy? (shirts, pants, shoes, among others)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true, second hand clothes is a very good way to be fashionable and cheaply.

And, which article of clothing do you prefer to buy? (shirts, pants, shoes, among others)

Shoes and jackets mainly.

Economic reasons predominate. I like to spend less to get more.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties jackets shirts and pants. I find it a good way to try out new sizes and cuts of things

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads