• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second chin

mrchapel

Reaction score
A little bit of background first, I'm 21, almost 22, and about a year and a half ago went from a very slender, 6'2" 125 lbs, to 6'2" 185 lbs in the matter of a few months. Time finally caught up with me, or actually you could say genetics. Anyway, I have this horrible second chin. It annoys me everyday, and takes away from my shirt and tie and just makes me feel fat.

My question is, is there anything I can do to make it go away or lose it somehow? Would a workout routine assist with that? Any nutrients? I haven't worked out in a very, very long time due to not making time. Within the next 2 weeks I am planning a workout and nutrition schedule to start, but I would like some advice on this issue if anyone has any knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is true, but accoridng to Men's Health, double chins (I'm not sure if that is the same as a second chin?) are inherited, "so exercise and diets are unlikely to have much effect."

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Certainly getting in better shape and lowering your body fat ration will help somewhat, but I think the article stazy referenced it basically correct.
FWIW, at 6'2" 185 lbs you aren't fat by any stretch of the imagination, even if you aren't in the best shape.

Zeriman

Reaction score
if you didn't have the double chin before adding the weight, there is a good chance you can get rid of it by losing weight. Just watch your portions and get to the gym once in a while and it will come off.

Max

Reaction score
There's always surgery.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about Chinese twins.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a second chin ? in your early twenties?
I've only just paid-off my first.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm. I am guessing the 6'2 125 was a typo. My brother is 6'4 149 and doctors told him that he was underweight.

I am sorry i do not buy that. How can you gain 60 pounds in a few months?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist

Man, have you even seen the Burger King triple Whopper/Quad Stacker thread?

smile.gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Premium_Chin_Strap_1012911.jpg

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Ummm. I am guessing the 6'2 125 was a typo. My brother is 6'4 149 and doctors told him that he was underweight.

It's entirely possible. For most of my life I have been anything but height/weight proportionate. I had a very fast metabolism, and none of the usual weight gaining methods worked; believe me I saw many doctors about this when I was younger. However, because I was born premature and weighed just about 4 lbs, the doctors said this was the cause, but that I would likely gain weight naturally as I got older.

I have a family history of the same thing as it turns out; very slender during the teen years and then around 20-21 massive weight gain. My uncles had it happen, as did my grandfather. The doctor saw me shortly after I noticed my jeans, a waist 32, wouldn't fit, and he couldn't believe how fast the weight gain occurred, but said that it happens like that sometimes.

I did go from eating crappy meals to more solid meals with plenty of vegetables and fruits, and he said that also contributed to it.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll see what working out at the gym can accomplish. I love the way I feel; I don't feel like a feather can blow me over, but it's just the double chin that I detest everytime I look in the mirror.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Whilst I appreciate the intention, I have no desire to get it fixed by means of plastic surgery or any other kind of cosmetic operation. I dislike it, but not enough for those options.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elizabeth Taylor had a double chin, from the age of 17. I don' t think it ever, went away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads