• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Black Shoe

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm relatively happy with my shoe rotation. It's about 9 deep with brands from AE to Grenson Masterpiece, and styles from cap-toe oxford to pebble-grain chukka, but I only have one black shoe; a pair of AE Park Avenues. What's the ideal second black shoe for a huy who only wears brown and burgundy? I'm thinking a wholecut, maybe.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a fairly low price point, I like the cheaney warwick.

its a sleek captoe, but I think it looks very sharp

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
At a fairly low price point, I like the cheaney warwick.

its a sleek captoe, but I think it looks very sharp

It does look pretty sleek, but are you suggesting that my first and second black shoes be cap-toe oxfords or are you suggesting I toss the PAs?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well i'm not a huge fan of brogueing on black shoes (well I don't like black shoes period, but thats another story). While there are many whole cuts that look nice, I prefer the captoes for some reason. I don't think having 2 cap toes would be ruinous. That said, if you like the wholecut, how about the http://www.cheaney.co.uk/shop/contem...iverpool/black decent medallion

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions:

1) Black blucher on a non-clunky last. I know I am in the minority on this but I like these because I can wear them with a suit (the formality of black outweighs the fact that it's a blucher) or with a sports coat/trousers combo (the blucher lets me get away with it, even if it's black.)

2) Cap toe oxford in quarter brogue or half brogue. I prefer wearing black shoes with charcoal suits and I think these are much more attractive than a plain black cap toe oxford.

3) Black chelsea boot. Like option one, it's very flexible and can be worn with suits or sport coat/trousers.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Any thoughts on the black loafer?

Not a fan whatsoever, but ladies love them. Not kdding. Hot chicks love black loafers. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Not a fan whatsoever, but ladies love them. Not kdding. Hot chicks love black loafers. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

I believe you. I was thinking of it as a nightlife shoe. Not that I go out a lot, but any time I go somewhere where sneakers are inappropriate, I feel at a loss for lack of black shoes.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if you already have the PA, I would recommend the CJ Belgrave in black as the ultimate. But it sounds like you don't want another captoe bal, so...

1. Classic wingtip: CJ Clifford
2. Alden 975 Longwing
3. Martegani Lucca 2

4. alternate choice: CJ Westbourne

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I believe you. I was thinking of it as a nightlife shoe. Not that I go out a lot, but any time I go somewhere where sneakers are inappropriate, I feel at a loss for lack of black shoes.

How about a black monk or chelsea? Great options for a nightlife/business appropriate black shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads