• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle Trip

JonB27

Reaction score
I'll be traveling to Seattle for a business trip in January and have the weekend free...

Any recommendations for hotels? (I want to be in an area near bars and restaurants for the weekend)
-Hotel 1000 looked decent from my search

Also what are some interesting attractions to check out?

Thanks!

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stay close to Belltown.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Get a car if you won't already have one.

2. You should do the space needle if you have not been. Sometime between noon and 1:30, the skies in seattle are sort of clear. That's the time to hit the space needle for the best views.

3. If you don't get to mountain areas normally, take a drive east into the mountains if the weather is decent. Really pretty. Snoqualmie falls is great if you want to be outside and there is also a ski and snowboarding area out that way as well.

The seattle natives can add some ideas as well.

JonB27

Reaction score
Sounds good... A car will be provided and I'm confirmed to stay at Hotel 1000.

-Will check out the Space needle
-Pikes Market
-Any recommendations for fine dining?
-Also any good clubs/lounges?

pruppert

Reaction score
The Seattle Public Library is interesting to check out. You'll see it, without a doubt, but it's worth looking around the inside, and it's free.

seattle-public-library2.jpg

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canlis is what my brother says is the best place in Seattle.

If you make it to Bellevue, hit up John Howie Steakhouse. They have great food, mac and cheese with beecher's cheddar, tempura bacon, steaks, etc. Great drinks and atmosphere too. Tom Douglas is supposedly the man in Seattle. Wasn't blown away by his restaurants (Dahlia, Serious Pie and one of the bakeries) though. One of my favorite Seattle foods is the Scallop Chowder over at Pike Chowder in Pike Market.

Make sure you hit up Armando Batali's Salumi. Its kind of near the train station/one of the stadium. very high quality cured meats.

Over by UW stadium on lake washington you can rent canoes and canoe which is pretty fun actually.

If you're into chinese, Din Tai Fung opened up their 2nd US location for soup dumpings very recently.

Most of the good, upscale lounges and bar are generally around Belltown I believe. Stay clear of Pioneer Square, pretty thugged out.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
If you have a few hundred bucks to spare. I've heard the same thing.
Tom Douglas is supposedly the man in Seattle. Wasn't blown away by his restaurants (Dahlia, Serious Pie and one of the bakeries) though.
I'm not sure what this means. I think I disagree with the entire premise of this statement though.
Over by UW stadium on lake washington you can rent canoes and canoe which is pretty fun actually.
You are just going to have to believe me when I tell you that right now, it's not fun to be out on the water in a canoe. It's winter time. In January, it will still be winter time.
Most of the good, upscale lounges and bar are generally around Belltown I believe. Stay clear of Pioneer Square, pretty thugged out.
Belltown is just about the worst possible place in Seattle. It has a few redeeming qualities, but I would never ever direct a tourist in a rental car down there unless you are looking for: A: drugs purchased from sketchy dudes B: gangs of stripey shirt/square toed or Affliction T-shirt muscleheads C: drunk girls who prefer the company of the aforementioned bro's D: overpriced trendy cocktails LOL at Pioneer Square being "thugged out". Aren't you from L.A.?

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're into chinese, Din Tai Fung opened up their 2nd US location for soup dumpings very recently.

But, he's from LA and there's already a Din Tai Fung in Arcadia.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If you make it to Bellevue, hit up John Howie Steakhouse. They have great food, mac and cheese with beecher's cheddar, tempura bacon, steaks, etc. Great drinks and atmosphere too. Tom Douglas is supposedly the man in Seattle. Wasn't blown away by his restaurants (Dahlia, Serious Pie and one of the bakeries) though. One of my favorite Seattle foods is the Scallop Chowder over at Pike Chowder in Pike Market.

Make sure you hit up Armando Batali's Salumi. Its kind of near the train station/one of the stadium. very high quality cured meats.

Note Salumi is only open during lunch Tues-Friday.

Canlis is nice enough and it's "old Seattle", but I wouldn't call it the best in Seattle. View is nice but dinner time in January that probably won't matter.

I really like John Howie Steak, especially for happy hour. But if I'm in Seattle for just the weekend, it's not worth the effort to go to the eastside.

There are hellish long waits at Din Tai Fung. It's also in Bellevue so not worth the effort from Seattle.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
If you have a few hundred bucks to spare. I've heard the same thing. LOL at Pioneer Square being "thugged out". Aren't you from L.A.?
Yeah. I grew up in the NW (Portland, the superior smaller brother of Seattle) and my brother lives there so I come up a few times per year. Everytime I've gone there, its been a lot of crackheads, sketch-balls and just kind of ghetto in some of the bars....Belltown seemed nice....not Belltown Billards obviously but some of some of the other bars and lounges. I remember Amber being ok and a few others.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Portland, the inferior city with a superiority complex

FTFY
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
stay close to Belltown.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...gsweep19m.html
But in February, officers and detectives learned of a sharp increase in street drug trafficking in nearby Belltown and then noticed the area's "regular" dealers were no longer around. They had been replaced, it seemed, by a small army of Honduran men.
LOL that there are well known "regular" crack dealers in Belltown, and that cops miss them when they are replaced by strange new Honduran crack dealers.
biggrin.gif
Don't get me wrong - There are a few places in Belltown that are pretty decent. But they are worthwhile despite the chronic lack of parking, the roving bands of crack dealers, homeless people, and hordes of drunk idiots. I wouldn't mind the last three if the parking was better. It sucks ass though.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where's the good nightlife in seattle then nowadays?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics