• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle Trip

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the Jack Straw stop. I added the White Horse Trading Co. and Serious Pie to the list of potential places to go. Seems like a lot of restaurants and bars are closing in the Belltown area, even long-lived ones. Cascadia was one that was... ancient, I guess.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm getting a new refrigerator delivered Saturday. Now you are in the loop.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During the game, I gather. Empty, I gather.

Thus, I will not gather.

Edit: Snow! Jeez. Is Seattle going to shut down, again? What was that headline: "Why can't Seattle handle snow?"

I once spent a night stranded in Pioneer Square when snow shut down Seattle over Christmas vacation. A bunch of people ended up in Doc Maynards waiting to get out. We spent the time drinking and listening to the band that was stuck there, too. Good times.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
During the game, I gather. Empty, I gather.

Thus, I will not gather.

Edit: Snow! Jeez. Is Seattle going to shut down, again? What was that headline: "Why can't Seattle handle snow?"

I once spent a night stranded in Pioneer Square when snow shut down Seattle over Christmas vacation. A bunch of people ended up in Doc Maynards waiting to get out. We spent the time drinking and listening to the band that was stuck there, too. Good times.

The most -- if only -- redeeming part of Seattle snow are the political ramifications: almost always negative and uncomfortably passive-aggressive.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved the sight of the Mayor of Seattle during the last snow storm telling everyone to stop using their cars and to get on the buses. This, just after the news reports of all the buses getting trapped by the ice or sliding down the hills into parked cars and telephone poles.

There seemed to be a certain lack of credibility there.

ektaylor

Reaction score
I loved the sight of the Mayor of Seattle during the last snow storm telling everyone to stop using their cars and to get on the buses. This, just after the news reports of all the buses getting trapped by the ice or sliding down the hills into parked cars and telephone poles.

There seemed to be a certain lack of credibility there.

You should ask Greg Nickels what he thinks about salt.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... must be the Seattle air. It isn't raining, actually, or snowing.

but what I thought was a jet flyby when I was getting a cappucino at the Cafe Umbria was actually the crowd at Qwest Stadium cheering. There was this thread about cool sounds a long time ago- this I'd add to that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
... must be the Seattle air. It isn't raining, actually, or snowing.

but what I thought was a jet flyby when I was getting a cappucino at the Cafe Umbria was actually the crowd at Qwest Stadium cheering. There was this thread about cool sounds a long time ago- this I'd add to that.

LOL

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I wish I could have heard the crowd during Marshawn Lynch's Beast Run. It would have kept getting louder and louder for what would have seemed an eternity.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2010_1230First0042.jpg

What people from Seattle say to me, when they are not talking about fishing boats in Ballard.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonB27
I'll be traveling to Seattle for a business trip in January and have the weekend free... Any recommendations for hotels? (I want to be in an area near bars and restaurants for the weekend) -Hotel 1000 looked decent from my search Also what are some interesting attractions to check out? Thanks!
Eat at La Pigalle. A good French restaurant in Pike's Place. Nice location. Good list. Pretty reasonable. Beef cheeks and Abeja Cabernet
worship.gif

odishatoday

Reaction score
I love going to the Paramount Theatre Seattle to see a show! Although you don't just see a show at the Paramount Theatre - you "experience" one! This is one of those grand cinemas built back in the 1910s through the 1920s known as "movie palaces."

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my Seattle trip is long over, what did I find?

Victrolla is better for coffee, Bauhaus for people watching.

Ancient Grounds is great for just being in: just existing, drinking cappuccino, and looking at native artwork.

God I love Coffe D'Arte.

The night of the snow? I was in the White Horse Trading Co. bar, after hours, in the dark, using a flashlight to look at books, drinking port. Great place. Fortunately it was all downhill to my hotel.

Bond111

Reaction score
I will be heading to Seattle in early June. Going for a week vacation and to visit a good friend of my wife.

Any reviews on Hyatt at Olive 8 for a place to stay? Seems to look pretty nice, and reasonably priced for how the rooms look.

I've been reading and writing down a bunch of places suggested here. Makes me want June to hurry up and get here.

Someone said Seattle is a lot like San Francisco without the attitude. Out of all the places my wife and I have vacationed(Puerto Rico, Miami, San Diego, Chicago just for a weekend) We absolutely loved San Fran. So this was good to hear. Hopefully not as many homeless people though. We stayed @ Parc 55 Hotel, and the location was perfect(great hotel too), but after the sun went down, the homeless came out in full force. lol. None were really bothersome though.

Jsquxe

Reaction score
olive 8 is really nice - didn't know there was a hyatt there though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads