• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle Restaurants

Invicta

Reaction score
My friend got married in Seattle, err about 6 months ago...

I remember How to Cook a Wolf being tasty, and Lola was good. He told me they had the rehersal dinner at this place on Pine, within spitting distance of Puget Sound, it was named after some kind of fish...I can't remember it, but he said that one was tasty, I'll email him and check.

Edit: It was the Steelhead Diner

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
No, just head up U Ave and go around Green Lake. That was our commute.
Didn't live here long?
capturetj.jpg
The very top black route would be the longest possible way to get to Beth's without going insanely out of your way, the bottom black route is shorter, but you run into more traffic, and worse intersections than with any other route. The 5-way stop sign is right there as you hit Green Lk Way N. The red route may have moderate traffic at times on 50th, but you can easily cut right a block or two, have 0 traffic, and still be able to cut across between the zoo and the lake (where there is never traffic) Taking 45th to Wallingford can have traffic, but taking Pacific, unless it's the 4th of July, is never crowded.
Wallingford was out of the way because there was no reason to go there, it wasn't all that easy to get to (unlike Beths') and very few people did. Wallingford made Fremont seem lively and glamorous.
Nor is there any reason to go to Beths, unless you are going there to eat. WTF! This is the point of the ridiculousness of your statement. Wallingford is not out of the way as a destination for food. It is closer to the U Dist than Beth's. By a LOT. Wallingford's general boundaries are 1-5 on the east side, Woodland Park on the North side, Lake Union on the South, and Stone Way on the West. Inside these boundaries is a great selection of food in various price ranges. More parking, and less traffic than on 99, at ANY time of the day. Want some reasons to go to Wallingford? Art of the Table, Bizzaro, Tilth, Cantinetta, Musashi's, Dick's, Joule, The Rusty Pelican, Blue Star, Kabul, La Boulangerie, Molly Moon's Ice Cream...etc.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And yes goddamn it, I drew a map. I am bored, and going from The Ave over the North side of Green Lake to get to Beth's is just ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as saying Wallingford is out of the way because there is nothing there. Tell me you never ate at Dick's on 45th, and I'll probably call you a liar. Hososso is a vegetarian/gluten free/anemic whatever and I bet he's even eaten at Dick's on 45th. EVERYONE goes there sooner or later.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better pull out the big guns then. I never ate at Dicks on 45th. Never occurred to me, actually. Probably thought it was frat boy territory and never thought about it again. Truthfully, the Blue Moon, the Last Exit, the Allegro and the Burke Museum coffee shop were more my territory.

Beth's was more of the "god last night was a *****, but I bet I can crawl down the street" kind of place.

Yeah, my route was around the lake, both north side and south side- at 11:00pm or 9:00 am there wasn't much traffic- but I wouldn't go up to 80th or over on 45th, thats just nutty.

Like saying Beth's is 3 blocks from Wallingford. Just sayin.

Though the nuttiest thing I could have said when I lived in Greenlake, Wallingford, and Ballard, even crazier than predicting a black president or a president condoning torture while on an invasion spree, would have been predicting that Ballard would one day be a cool place. Inconceivable.

That Wallingford would one day build up a decent collection of restaurants- that isn't crazy. I think that was even starting when I left.
Art of the Table, Bizzaro, Tilth, Cantinetta, Musashi's, Dick's, Joule, The Rusty Pelican, Blue Star, Kabul, La Boulangerie, Molly Moon's Ice Cream...etc.
Cool. Next time I'm in Seattle and I can drag my sorry ass out of Bellevue, Bainbridge, and Pioneer Square I'll go explore the new Wallingford. Not Dicks, though. I got standards.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Like saying Beth's is 3 blocks from Wallingford. Just sayin.

It's so close as to be relative to three blocks, especially if you are already on 99. You can drive it in less than a three minutes if there's no traffic.

With traffic it might take eight minutes.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not sure how long ago you are talking about, but at least half of those restaurants were there when GWB was elected the first time. A few were there when Reagan was re-elected. If you were there before that, I don't think frat boys were as big a concern. The Blue Moon is a block from Wallingford. Which means that it's a block from pizza by the slice. It's also about five blocks from Dick's. Frat boys can't walk five blocks? One wonders how you like whatever five block bubble you've constructed for yourself in Chicago. Is there any overpriced, crappy food like Beth's that you are willing to trek outside your extremely limited comfort zone for? I don't want to stand in line for 40 minutes with a bunch of tourists like you do at Beth's on the weekends though. So keep that in mind.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I still haven't eaten there.
We are about to deport your ass to Chicago. Do you mean you've never eaten at ANY Dick's, or just the one on 45th. I will also accept Queen Anne or Broadway as acceptable alternatives. In general, I mean anyone who lives, works, or goes to school in the U-Dist. It is too close, too cheap, and too good after a night at the bar to avoid forever.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
We are about to deport your ass to Chicago. Do you mean you've never eaten at ANY Dick's, or just the one on 45th. I will also accept Queen Anne or Broadway as acceptable alternatives.
None of them.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
None of them.
J, Hososso, and I are going to take you to the airport tomorrow. Be ready to leave. This is like saying you've never seen the Space Needle. I don't understand how or why you'd want to live your life this way. You are either with us or against us. I don't want to live in a city where people don't appreciate cheap, crappy burgers at 1:50am, let alone be FRIENDS with them. They APOLOGIZED IN PRINT when they had to raise their prices five to ten cents per item a few years ago. Still only one item on their menu over $2 (The Deluxe). You don't really live in Seattle unless you've been to Dick's.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is like saying you've never seen the Space Needle.
Well I see that everyday. I've never been inside it though.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how long ago you are talking about, but at least half of those restaurants were there when GWB was elected the first time. A few were there when Reagan was re-elected.

You are an archeologist, then?

If you were there before that, I don't think frat boys were as big a concern.
I in fact lived on frat row for a few months, before Ballard. They were very annoying, though they did seem to have a taste for the Rolling Stones. At the beginning of the year they would line up all the sorority girls out on the parkway and have a pass in review...

The Blue Moon is a block from Wallingford.
Pshaw- that's the U District. I'm talking Wallingford. Think 40th and Wallingford. Still looks boring, but far more upscale.

Which means that it's a block from pizza by the slice. It's also about five blocks from Dick's. Frat boys can't walk five blocks?
Funny, I don't really recall frat boys going to the Blue Moon, but even if they were I don't think our groups would have been... fraternizing.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to stand in line for 40 minutes with a bunch of tourists like you do at Beth's on the weekends though. So keep that in mind.
smile.gif

People stand in line for Beths?
crackup[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads