• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle In October

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Looks like we'll be flying in for a long weekend last of October. Already have reservations at Canlis and Sushi Kashiba. Staying at a new Curio hotel with a rooftop bar serving Cristal by the glass. Suggestions welcome but only in town for three nights.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** - I just opened my Cayuse on Tuesday for my anniversary!

In town for any particular reason, or just for kicks? When was the last time you were here?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
**** - I just opened my Cayuse on Tuesday for my anniversary!

In town for any particular reason, or just for kicks? When was the last time you were here?

A good friend of ours moved there at the start of the year and we're heading up to visit over Mrs. Piob's b-day. Last time I was in Seattle was about 2003.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, so much has changed, I'm excited to hear what your perception is! Also, prepare yourself for a large amount of homeless people.

It's not fine dining by any stretch (hardly anything in the city is), but my favorite spot to take people visiting (Hell, one of my favorite spot's period) is Marination Ma Kai.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/marination-ma-kai-seattle

It's Korean Hawaiian fusion, and the spam sliders there are in the top 5 things I've eaten in my life. They hit the sweet/salty/spicy trifecta oh so well. In addition, it has the best view of the cityscape that I know of.

Another place I like to take people (though you might be there a little late in season) is the Ballard Locks to see how boats get from the sound to lake washington, but more interestingly to see the salmon in the fish ladder.

http://www.myballard.com/ballard-locks-seattle/

Another place to eat that I like is Damn the Weather.

http://damntheweather.com/

Always interesting stuff on the menu and I've come away really impressed both times I've been there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So looking at some standard things. Pike's, MoPOP, Chihuly, ride the SLUT, maybe a ferry/water taxi ride and maybe the locks as you mention. We are for sure doing the two dinners mentioned above, Canlis and Sushi Kashiba. We are only there three nights and might either eat at my friend's home or out again. He's an actual working sommelier so I'm counting on him to have the connects.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So looking at some standard things. Pike's, MoPOP, Chihuly, ride the SLUT, maybe a ferry/water taxi ride and maybe the locks as you mention. We are for sure doing the two dinners mentioned above, Canlis and Sushi Kashiba. We are only there three nights and might either eat at my friend's home or out again. He's an actual working sommelier so I'm counting on him to have the connects.

The water taxi from downtown actually drops you off right in front of Marination Station . . . But otherwise, sure a day trip into Bainbridge island can be a fun thing to do - the ferry ride is short (30 mins) and though I haven't been in several years, I head there are a lot of nice shops and spots on the other side.

Where does your friend work?

David J. Cooper

Reaction score
The Melrose Market area is very cool. Lots of great restaurants in the area like Stateside and Sitka and Spruce.

I rarely go to Seattle and not have lunch at Le Pichet. Great French bistro food. Better then any I had in 3 weeks in France. Quirky wine list, though no Cayuse.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So all three evenings are accounted for now. Will be at the hotel's rooftop bar and then restaurant evening of arrival, Sushi Kashiba Friday night, Canlis for our last night. Our friend has both reservations already made. Damn, the Canlis building is eff'ing gorgeous. Found this on Shiro:

Going to try to get into Canon but hear it can be crowded. Also going to visit my friend's new place of course. Just a short visit but looking forward to it.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So all three evenings are accounted for now. Will be at the hotel's rooftop bar and then restaurant evening of arrival, Sushi Kashiba Friday night, Canlis for our last night. Our friend has both reservations already made. Damn, the Canlis building is eff'ing gorgeous. Found this on Shiro:

Going to try to get into Canon but hear it can be crowded. Also going to visit my friend's new place of course. Just a short visit but looking forward to it.

Sounds like a good plan! The Canlis building is really cool. If you have the chance, sit at the bar and have a drink before dinner, its crazy to see all the unique and custom ways they have built the place to make everything look effortless. Also, the upstairs was at one point used as a residence, so the layout up there is interesting as well. If you ask them, I'm pretty sure they would oblige to give you a tour of the place. I think they even recently put in a rooftop deck/fireplace for the staff to hangout. If you play your cards right, you might even get invited to crack a few cold ones with the staff after service - though for my money I'd be headed back to the hotel rooftop bar.

David J. Cooper

Reaction score
Where does your friend somm at? I'm always looking for places to BYOB.

I've never been to Canlis, my friends and our wives prefer to avoid the tourist or date night spots.

We love places like the Harvest Vine, Cafe Juanita or Rhione XII.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Where does your friend somm at? I'm always looking for places to BYOB.

So you want to know where my friend the sommelier works so you can bring your own wine? And you insult my choice of going to eat at a very well regarded restaurant?

Nice meeting you, new guy.

David J. Cooper

Reaction score
I'm truly sorry if I insulted you and I doubt I insulted your Sommelier friend. Bringing bottles from my cellar to restaurants is not something I do to save money. I am happy to pay corkage and tip the Sommelier. It's a large part of the wine world and most of the great bottles a wine stewart pour don't come from restaurants cellars. I have never left a restaurant without giving the person who serves my bottle a taste as well.

I have also participated in multi bottle tastings in Seattle where all the bottles were BYOB, the Sommeliers at those events did not appear to be insulted.

Also I don't doubt that Canlis is is an exceptional place. Most "view" restaurants aren't. My point is there are several chef owned restaurants that do as good a job in more down to earth rooms. It's how chefs like Matt Dillon, Jason Wilson, Jason Sratton and Ethan Stowell got their chances. I supported all of their places when they first opened.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I guess if I just knew more about "the wine world" I would have known. I'm just a rube with no experience in dining and wine apparently. :(

David J. Cooper

Reaction score
I really don't understand this. All I did was state my opinion and ask you where your friend is the Sommelier. A friend of mine who enjoys wine and has a deep cellar just moved to Kirkland and is looking for restaurant recommendations. I thought I could throw your friend some business.

Also I have no idea who you are as you use a handle. We may have met at a trade tasting or something without me knowing or at Cayuse pick up day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads