• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seasoning Frying Pans

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm hoping some of the cooking experts on here can help me.

I've always struggled to get a good season on my frying pans. Now, I've never tried really all that hard before, and I also don't typically wash my own dishes or have exclusive reign over my kitchen stuff. My roommates used to share my stuff, and now my GF usually does the cleaning up.

Obviously, I don't try too hard to keep soaps and abrasives off the pans, which I guess are the big #1 no-nos.

I'm trying to work on a pan now to give it a good season. It has a bit of a brown tinge to it in places now just from my older abuse, and I've been working over the past day or two to consciously put vegetable oil in it, heat it until smoking, then let it cool, and repeat. At the end of 3 or so cycles of this, I wipe it mostly down and leave some oil in there.

Last night I fried some chicken breasts with a dill yoghurt marinade, and the chicken browned very nicely and the marinade reduced to a nice dark brown as well. A pretty solid success, with not much sticking.

Still, there was some sticking. I tried to clean it up a bit just with hot water and a spoon with mixed results. I finally did have to take the sponge to it and give a pretty good scrub. Now my pan still looks kind of dirty, with scrape marks where I applied the spoon. Still, I kept the soap off, and then did another round or two with the heat and the vegetable oil, and I just did a pretty minimal wipedown afterwards to leave a bit of oil on overnight.

Am I on the right track here? Is the dirtyish-brown look OK? How do you guys clean out your pans? Should I be cleaning up right away, or is it ok to let it sit for a while (say, to eat) before cleaning? And is it OK to take the soft side of a sponge to it under hot water? Is it OK to boil water in it to help clean it? Any other tips/suggestions?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you using cast iron? Otherwise, it's a useless exercise.

With cast iron, time is your best friend. After the preliminary seasoning, just let it go. You really can't speed up this process significantly.

Also, avoid cooking acidic food in the pan, as the acid strips away the oil.

I cook a lot with a wok (same principle applies). So, after cooking, I just use a sponge and some hot water to clean it up. After that, then I wipe it dry, I might wipe a thin coat of oil if I remember. Most of the time, I just put in on the stove and fire it up for a few minutes to evaporate all the moisture.

hi-val

Reaction score
Here's how I do it:

with a new pan, I coat it in a very light layer of oil, then put it in the oven for a few hours at 300 while other things like roasts or bread cook in the oven. If you have sticky spots on the pan, you used too much oil. This will go away soon enough.

Later, I will fry bacon in it.

These produce a fine nonstick surface.

To clean, heat the pan up a little and pour some kosher salt in it. Then use a paper towel to abrade the stuck-on stuff out of the pan. If you made a sauce in it, you can put in a little water to help dissolve things. If you use water, NEVER SOAP, then towel dry and put in a warm oven to dry or it will likely rust. Ideally, you just have to wipe out your pan with a paper towel.

If you have really stuck-on stuff, you can use an old plastic credit card or similar to scrape the stuff off the bottom of the pan.

I suggest storing your pans in your oven when you are not using them; the heat is good for them and they help regulate oven temp when you're baking or roasting other things.

As far as making sure that nobody else washes them, just tell your roommates that you'll wash the pan whenever it's sitting out and be true to your word!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Clarification - I am using a tri-ply steel pan, not cast iron. I have tried cast iron in the past, but it was too much of a pain **********. Was hoping for something a touch less fussy. I have heard that steel can be seasoned and adapt many of the same properties, though it might not brown foods quite as well.

hi-val

Reaction score
Your guess is as good as Google's then. If you don't want things to stick, use lots of hot fat and high heat.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You do not need to season a steel pan.

Cast iron is not the only surface that needs seasoning; aluminum does too, FWIW.

The keys to no sticky are 1) use oil with a high smoke point; 2) preheat the pan for a good, long time; 3) dry the food of excess water with paper towels. #3 is VERY important.

Then don't move the food around instantly. Let it cook in place until it releases.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I guess this means I can't really use butter for frying
frown.gif
as it burns too fast.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
frown.gif
as it burns too fast.

You can use butter. But not whole butter by itself. If you want to cook with butter on high heat, either clarify it, or else put some oil in the pan first, and then add butter once the oil heats up.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't be trying to build up any kind of film on a steel pan. I simply find that steel sticks to certain foods and there's no way around it.

For cast-iron, I can't recommend preseasoned pans enough. They work so great.

blackgrass

Reaction score
If you live with other people or aren't into washing your own dishes...
Then I wouldn't invest in good cookware or knives.

madbulk

Reaction score
You're getting lots of good advice. Seasoning is kinda bunk.
A non-stick pan is a non-stick pan for a reason. It's a different tool.
You can make a steak in your steel pan, or brown a pork chop. Just gotta leave the thing alone until as someone pointed out, it will release. And fortunately it ain't done until that point probably anyway.
Chicken is the next trick. Unless you're getting really good dry chickens, gonna be hit and miss. But if you learn to do chicken without tearing up the skin, you've learned how this pan works.
You won't be making fish in this pan, ever.
Don't buy an expensive teflon pan either. They're temporary.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
frown.gif
as it burns too fast.

Use butter to finish...

hi-val

Reaction score
Ruhlman suggests in his Elements of Cooking that you have a nonstick pan for delicate foods like fish or eggs that need a nonstick surface for easy release. These items are cooked at a low heat and would overcook by the time they released from a steel pan. Get good teflon, baby it and only use it for cooking things that need a nonstick surface.

You can mix butter and oil for a higher smoke point fat with the flavor of butter. Chefs do it quite a bit.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Ugh,

My roommate has considerably less experience in the kitchen then me (understatement), and refuses to listen to my advice. He proceeded to use my cast iron pan, (with out buttering the pan) to burn eggs--- then left it in the sink followed by a washing with dish soap. He thinks the concept of a seasoned pan is gross, and that I made it up completely. I was an ass, but I had to make it pretty clear to stick to the Teflon Cusiniart pans.

It's one of those things that takes time, my father maintained his pans/wok religiously.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Ugh,

My roommate has considerably less experience in the kitchen then me (understatement), and refuses to listen to my advice. He proceeded to use my cast iron pan, (with out buttering the pan) to burn eggs--- then left it in the sink followed by a washing with dish soap. He thinks the concept of a seasoned pan is gross, and that I made it up completely. I was an ass, but I had to make it pretty clear to stick to the Teflon Cusiniart pans.

It's one of those things that takes time, my father maintained his pans/wok religiously.

If your roommate has no respect for your property, tell him to stay the **** off of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics