• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seasonal Poll - You've been bought a novelty tie

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's Christmas Eve day here. What do you do when tommorrow your wife/partner/significant other/mother/dog/cat presents you with a novelty tie?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, I'd want to ditch it, but in the spirit of the season I'd probably wear it unless it's too hideous.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of those situations where I'd wear it for the day and swallow my pride, I suppose.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's actually a nice novelty tie I would wear it once a year during the week of christmas. If it's ugly I would return the favor the next year and buy the SO a novelty piece of lingerie (instead of antlers) and tell her I'd wear the tie when she wore the lingerie.

So I selected the two final choices.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point it moot -- my wife knows better. If someone else did it, I would accept it gracefully and then it would stay in the back of my closet for what I deem an appropriate amount of time, then off to Goodwill.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Not quite the same but I was looking at sweaters the other day and pointed out one that was a bit too loud for my liking (think electric blue), my girlfriend turns to me and says "guess you won't like one of the presents I got you then", I spent the rest of the day thinking what I'll pair it with to make her happy. She normally knows not to buy me clothes, so not sure what made her decide to.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear it as a belt.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Depends, if it's a Vineyard Vines Christmas tie, I wear it. Judgment call on other novelty ties.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear it on Halloweeen.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say wear it pride for the loved ones who gave it to you.. then put it up on B&S for the guy who wants to turn it into a belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads