• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for Derby shoes

Pandaros

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to high quality shoes. I bought my first set of Barkers about 6 months ago and now there's no looking back. I received a E300.00 bonus from work for efforts during the Covid situation, and want to get a good pair of dark brown derby shoes with it. That, I guess, is my budget and I'm a size 10.

I've identified these ones:

I really want, however, a leather sole because I've never had one before. I've done copious amounts of googling, but can only find a size 10 pair with leather soles in Australia. Everywhere else they're out of stock in my size. In addition I want to continue with supporting the Made in England brands and lines, as well as having calf uppers.

I don't know if anyone here has advice on getting shoes that are out of stock everywhere with the soles you want, or if anyone knows a similar style elsewhere that meets my requirements.

Nice to finally have gone from silent lurker here to active participant.

Braid

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to high quality shoes. I bought my first set of Barkers about 6 months ago and now there's no looking back. I received a E300.00 bonus from work for efforts during the Covid situation, and want to get a good pair of dark brown derby shoes with it. That, I guess, is my budget and I'm a size 10.

I've identified these ones:

I really want, however, a leather sole because I've never had one before. I've done copious amounts of googling, but can only find a size 10 pair with leather soles in Australia. Everywhere else they're out of stock in my size. In addition I want to continue with supporting the Made in England brands and lines, as well as having calf uppers.

I don't know if anyone here has advice on getting shoes that are out of stock everywhere with the soles you want, or if anyone knows a similar style elsewhere that meets my requirements.

Nice to finally have gone from silent lurker here to active participant.
There are a lot of different type of derbies, from very sleek (2 or 3 eyelet plain toe derby in elongated last) to very casual or country style derbies (like the iconic Pembroke from CJ) and everything in between (split toe derby for example).

If I were you I would start understanding the use case and how formal/elegant you want them to be.

If you are looking for a casual "everyday" derby I would avoid leather soles and opt for Dainite, as it is more durable and works better with rain and foul weather.

As you are just starting this journey I suggest not to rush into buying multiple pairs of shoes, tastes evolve quickly and you could regret some of your first purchases.

I love derbies, below some shots fo my collection that I hope can help you

Eddie.Lin

Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2 preferred dress derbies are the John Lobb Archer and Corthay Arca.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should consider SoH George if you don't mind split toe derby. Like @Braid mentioned, Dainite sole would be much more versatile than leather sole.

I think @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes could provide more advise when it comes to split toe derby.

Hey all! Thanks for bringing me in @Eddie.Lin on the conversation. As for @Pandaros query, the Split Toe Derby (SpTD) is my favorite derby.

Now, why the Split toe? You are possibly thinking that split seam looks very mmmehhhh. But the Split Toe Derby provides you the opportunity to be dressed up (when properly polished and if you select a smooth leather) or dressed down (because of the seam). A plain toe looks more dressy at times or just plain. Wingtips are as busy as a Subway station. SpTDs on the other hand provide a bit of visual interest without looking busy. It is also the kind of shoe you appreciate more while on your feet then in the showroom.

I believe the Sons of Henrey offering is your best option at this price point for a SpTD.
The more aesthetically pleasing, and better constructed options are substantially more expensive. Furthermore, you mentioned you preferred a made In England shoe. Most "Made in England" Split Toes, specifically, and shoes, generally, tend to be on the expensive side of things.

All hope is not lost though. Herring has really nice offerings while keeping costs more approachable. Additionally, the majority of their shoes are made in Northampton, England. Even more interesting, Herring shoes are made by Cheaney and Alfred Sargent (not all so you'd have to look into the particular shoe). Those two brands are on the upper end in terms of price, and very well respected here or anywhere.

You can also wait for many of the top English brands to have sales (Cheaney, Alfred Sargent, and even have seen Crockett and Jones around that price when heavily discounted).

If you are willing to expand your country of manufacture options, then the Sons of Henrey immediately should be on your radar. Carlos Santos also has nice options.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to high quality shoes. I bought my first set of Barkers about 6 months ago and now there's no looking back. I received a E300.00 bonus from work for efforts during the

Forgot about your sole requirement. How about meeting in the middle? A leather sole with a rubber attachment of some kind.

Screenshot_20200823-132159_Chrome.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads