• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for a new suit and new style

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
For the most part, I've found myself using a theory suit within the last couple months and am now looking to expand into new suit territory. The theory suit is a 40R in Charcoal grey with minimal tailoring (sleeves were shortened a little). The pants are 30/32. I'm 5'11" and currently 165 pounds, although i'm looking to lose a bit of weight.

before going on to my main subject, will a weight loss of about 15 pounds or so have any affect on my shoulders, in terms of fitting? I've found that most of my shirts have become more tight than I'd like along the shoulders with a bit of weight gain that has occured in recent months, and i'm wondering how that affects shoulders and neck in relation to fitting. I'm just trying to find a way to solve my dillema that is "my shoulders identify more with medium clothing for optimal fit while the rest of my body/torso could be considered a small." I'm roughly a 15 and a half in dress shirts. [I'd also like to mention that tailoring a medium shirt is rarely the best option as the shirt fits terribly everywhere else and much work would have to be done(i like a rather tight fit)....certain mediums do fit me well though such as john varvatos and certain hugo boss shirts]

anyway, my main thing. I've always liked to dress up, it's something that i'm very much interested in but find i haven't been reaching a level of proper sophistication. I mainly find myself throwing on an express dress shirt and some jeans with converse(some nice john varvatos converse). mostly casual but trying not to go completely that way (lazily thrown together t shirt and jeans). That's not to say i don't own some nicer hugo boss dress shirts and a nice suit with some fine ties. Essentially though i'm looking to find ways to "complete" outfits rather than picking at the items I own that are good.

I was looking at possibly purchasing a decent dark blue suit or black, hell maybe even brown (although I honestly don't own brown shoes or a brown belt as i've steered more towards black over the years). I'm more into modern fashion as i'm a young man, 18, and am very much "scruffy" guy of sorts (facial hair, long hair..tight fitting clothing). Anyway are there any suggestions as to brands and prices of suits that might be good for a guy like me? I can spend a decent bit as I have a job, although i'd like to keep things around 400-800 dollars, if possible. I own some blazers/jackets from express, h and m, etc. H&m isn't an option to look into really as there isn't one in this city, but stores such as neiman marcus and saks 5th are (i can actually get slight discounts as I know people at both those higher end stores)

on another note, what are your overall thoughts on brooks brother's products? I've recently found that there is a store in my city, and the prices seemed reasonable, although the style is quite conservative overall.

Essentially, Im trying to ask what brands and what products should I be spending my hard earned money on in trying to reach a new level of sophistication as i've found certain brands to be a waste of money in the long run (i.e express' shirts shrink drastically and lose original color rather quickly).

I'd be interested in some 3 piece suits in grey as well if anyone has recommendations.

I'm somewhat looking to shoot for a "great gatsby" kind of style without being as ostentatious (in terms of lifstlye hah) [i'm referring to the men's style in the movie] Something very 1920's as well as 1930's.

p.s. i'm new to this forum, and please forgive me if there is a lack of overall coherency as to what i'm asking as it is rather late. I look foward to some responses!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads