• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for a casual blazer

printyra

Reaction score
What is your budget? If money is not an option, something like a Bedford jacket from Engineered Garments, Nigel Cabourn or 1ST PAT-RN are good places to start.

countrygent

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not looking to go too workwear, so I think the EG is out - I'd like something with a bit more edge, for lack of a better word. I'm not familiar with 1ST PAT-RN, so will investigate.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A solid grey jacket (it is difficult to apply the term blazer which generally refers to a navy jacket with contrasting buttons) will look like half a suit. Especially with jeans. You would be better served by a patterned sport coat, such as a tweed. For the edgier look you are seeking, go with a larger pattern, possibly in plaid.

There can be a fine line between edgy and clownish—but as you frequent galleries one presumes you have an eye for color and pattern, and the confidence to choose something cool.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with @maxalex - tweed works great with jeans. Although I like the plaids, not all tweeds are plaids if you prefer something else.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Boglioli does very nice sport coats with a lot of nicer patterns. If you got more budget, Isaia does the same too.

If you want no pattern it's a nice sport coat with patch pocket. Less formal.

Winter Tweed:

It really depends on the look you are looking for.

countrygent

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for something that is a bit more SWD and less CM. I'm afraid I don't have the vocabulary for the look I'm aiming for as this is new territory for me, but the flavour I'm looking for is something along the lines of Daniel Craig in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - toss a jacket over a casual shirt with denim and boots, and ideally the jacket has some character that differentiates it from an orphaned gray suit jacket.

Cheers,
H

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for something that is a bit more SWD and less CM. I'm afraid I don't have the vocabulary for the look I'm aiming for as this is new territory for me, but the flavour I'm looking for is something along the lines of Daniel Craig in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - toss a jacket over a casual shirt with denim and boots, and ideally the jacket has some character that differentiates it from an orphaned gray suit jacket.

Cheers,
H

I get what you’re saying. It sounds like you’re looking for a lighter, unstructured jacket (no shoulder padding; minimal to no lining) that works well in a variety of settings (or maybe business/office casual to weekends with jeans).

It looks like Daniel Craig is wearing various knit jackets in all the pictures I could find.

If that appeals to you, I’d second Barena as a good brand to look into. Wings & Horns makes solid knit jackets, even thick, sweatshirt material jackets (nicer than they sound) that would fit the bill. Engineered Garments occasionally has dark, non-descript knit blazers (without a hint of workwear), but those could be harder to find at the moment.

Moving on from knit/sweater type jackets, Belvest is more of a CM brand, but they make amazing unstructured jackets in a variety of materials. (Their prices are kind of astronomical, and it’s tough to find anything recent on the second hand market, though they might have something cool and more reasonably priced somewhere local, like Neiman Marcus).

I’d take a hard look at Our Legacy. Nearly everything they make would seem to fit the bill. (And almost everything is gray, navy or black; none of it looking like an orphaned suit coat).

Boglioli is a good start; you don’t have to look at plaids (lol).

Lubiam/LBM 1911 makes what you’re looking for in a variety of materials, colors, patterns.

There are a lot of options. Poking around the SW&D What are you wearing today thread should provide a lot more ideas...

Attachments

• 1579042119406.jpeg
    1579042119406.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 29

countrygent

Reaction score
Exactly, something pretty casual and unstructured is spot on. Craig wears a couple of jackets in the movie, one from Costume National and one from Neil Barrett. Looks like Our Legacy does things in a similar vein - thanks for the suggestions!

H

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like what J.Mueser is doing downtown. Completely unlined and unstructured, entirely made by hand in a factory in Southern Italy. I felt them in person - they're like sweaters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads