• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

search for tux

ckessani

Reaction score
Hi. Im looking for a tux. I am a slim 5'10. 29 waist. I usually where size 38 which usually fits perfectly on the shoulders but needs tailoring everywhere else. I want a single button peak lapel tux. Id prefer a slim fighting midnight blue tux but i havent seen many available options. Id be willing to pay up to 2000 for a new tux but would prefer to find something cheaper or used. Also i am from nyc. if there are any good bespoke options that are relatively affordable id consider that. i appreciate ur help.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like you know what you want (and good choice on the peak lapel, midnight blue), the tricky part is going to be to find it at a reasonable price. I had some great luck last summer picking up a vintage tux in outstanding condition from ebay, but there's no guarantee you'll find anything quick. A decent bespoke option will be hard to find at that price point.

How soon do you need it? If you can afford to wait awhile keep searching ebay and thrift shops in NYC. Most tuxes are worn relatively infrequently so even a very old tux could still be in good condition. Best of luck!

ksmith

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. 6'1" 175lbs in need of a slim fitting, peak lapel, one button tux. I typically wear a 40L. Was considering midnight blue but would settle for black. Im also in NYC.

Have you seen/ tried on the midnight blue Phineas Cole tux? I tried it on at the Paul Stuart store on Madison, and it's very very nice. I wasn't crazy about the shade of blue but the jacket fit was fantastic. I would have prefered the pants to be a bit slimmer but still nice. It retails for $1900. Sounds like it's worth a look for you. Ralph Lauren is also selling a dark blue tux, but it is notch and 2-button and doesn't look very slim... http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family. Not familiar with the fit and haven't seen it in person.

Let me know if you find anything around town worth a look.

kingkv23

Reaction score
If you're willing to give a shot to buying without seeing it, eHABERDASHER.com has some nice midnight blue tux and Shop the Finest has a Cesare Attolini but 42 is the smallest. There is a D&G blue on ebay for approx $500+ as well. Good luck.

ckessani

Reaction score
i found one very nice midnight blue tux with a shawl lapel. i am considering it. is there any reason that a shawl lapel would not flatter someone who is slender? also is the brioni palatino suit slim fitting?

arc

Reaction score
If you're budget is up to $2000, you can probably just go MTM and save yourself the (probably high) alteration costs. Not being from NYC I can't recommend a specific MTM program, but I remember hearing mention of solid MTM suits in the $1200-1500 range. A tux ought not to be that much different, although I confess I've never priced an MTM tux myself. I don't recall hearing any Flusserish theory about shawl collars being bad for such and such body type, but just know that the shawl collar is considered slightly less formal than the peak lapel by some (no one outside of SF will actually care).

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ckessani
i found one very nice midnight blue tux with a shawl lapel. i am considering it. is there any reason that a shawl lapel would not flatter someone who is slender?

No reason whatsoever.

Connery.jpg

ckessani

Reaction score

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the tom ford would suit you best, but i like the brioni better personally.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeff13007
I think the tom ford would suit you best, but i like the brioni better personally.

That Brioni does look awesome.

ckessani

Reaction score
do u think the brioni would be big on me. i havent tried on one and i dont want to have too much tailoring done. is it a slim suit? why do u like the brioni more. i am leaning towards it because ive been searching for a peak lapel tux and haven really considered a shawl... any pros to the shawl. also im in my early 20s. what do u guys think of the price point?

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well im in my early 20s, and 6 foot ish. i was 155 and i used to wear size 38 in brioni, i needed to take the waist in quite a bit, but i liked the outcome. Shoulders are the most important part, you should take your measurements before buying. like i said the Tom Ford would fit your build a bit better imo, i have a suit from him size 46(36us) that only needed the pants hemmed, but the reason i like the brioni better is because it seems more timeless and elegant, you have to understand that TF is a very aggressive look. the one i have from him is a basic base B i think. Regarding the price point, it really depends i have bought from sartorial before a Brioni suit with not as nice fabric for about 1.7k a Nomentano model which is the one i had to get the waist taken in quite a bit on, so i would think the price of that tux is reasonable because Brioni generally fits me well off the rack as in shoulders fit right, no roll on the collar, sleeve length , and jacket length. But then again i dont know your build. Since you are in NYC what you can do is drop by bergdorf goodman because they have Brioni and TF there and you can see for yourself how a brioni 38 and TF 36 fit you, but take it with a margin of error as in my experience even same model suits from both makers fit differently. Oh and i cant really say if that style of Brioni the Palatino is slim OTR as i only have Nomentanos, Chiga, and Platone. I doubt it is though as most of these are cut for old fat and rich men hahah

ckessani

Reaction score
ok. so its between the brioni and the ford. the ford is basic base a and the brioni is palatino. is the brioni slim at all. if i tailor it in will it look to be a slim suit or not really. what kind of body type is best suited for ford?? for brioni??

JMP

Reaction score
I would go for the Tom Ford. I am around the same build and have a vintage midnight blue Dunhill Tailors shawl that is tailored very slim and am extremely happy with the look of it. I think it makes a much better statement than all of the "alternative young approaches" to black tie that you see on people in their 20's these days (like an actual tie). If you are set on peak lapel, I would recommend one from RLPL, as it is a much slimmer cut than Brioni (a 29'' waist will prob. need major tapering in the legs for Brioni) , will probably not need much tailoring, and is just aggressive enough to not blend in.

ckessani

Reaction score
my search for a tux continues. if anyone sees anything worthwhile new or used please let me know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads