1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Search Engine Optimisation and Google Ranks and all that stuff

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Matt, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

ILinks from very high traffic websites (i.e. major news organizations, or Fortune 100 companies) have a similar effect.

hmm - I comment on a bunch of things on news sites and never put my URL in the little box. I guess that little action alone would punch well above its weight then, huh?

2. Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito Senior member

How frequently do you update your website and do you find your website to be easy to navigate or not?

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

pretty easy, and it gets updated 2-3 times a week with client news/press releases/images.

4. Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito Senior member

Does someone write original content for your website or is it syndicated?

I would suggest that instead of relying completely on someone else, you should try to do things yourself and see which things work and which do not. No SEO guy would know your industry better than you or be as commited as you. You can compare it to developing your own style, it can be done either by youself by keeping in mind your tastes and preferences or you can hire a stylist. Now, if you try to save money in hiring a stylist you can imagine what would happen to your looks.

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

Gotcha. And since social media outreach is part of what you offer, DIY makes sense.

The website looks good. Images look okay if somewhat small on Chrome but when I use IE9, the proportions are distorted and only one corner of the (now supersized) pic would show up.

6. Matt

Matt Senior member

Does someone write original content for your website or is it syndicated?

we write it.
    As per my previous post, I don't think we are going to hire an SEO firm...

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

Gotcha. And since social media outreach is part of what you offer, DIY makes sense. The website looks good. Images look okay if somewhat small on Chrome but when I use IE9, the proportions are distorted and only one corner of the (now supersized) pic would show up.
    thanks, I'm pretty happy with it. Still a few things to change. The front page images are kinda tourist generica, those will be changed for worky-in-action type shots once we have built up enough good ones to make it worthwhile. A couple of bugs as well that we are working on - front page calendar is looking like a pointless bell-and-whistle add on at the moment, but it is supposed to show client events on mouse-over on any given day. The image gallery is shitting me. Trying to get the CMS to allow us to put up tiny res thumbnails, low res preview shots, and high res downloadable images is not as easy as it should be - so we either end up with 3 meg thumbnails or tiny ass downloadables. Not ideal, but all part of the bug-shootin' process. Major bugs shot, then you start a-tweakin'. Never ends.... Fun and games man, fun and games...