Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sean John store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shirtmaven, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

All right so I had time to kill on Sunday. After being appalled at the crap in the Penguin store. I walked Through the glitzy marble store front of Sean John. Located on 5th Ave at 41st street across from the NY Public Library. The store's location seems  so wrong. Again, I am not the typical Sean John Target customer. 47 year old, not into the hip hop world at all. I was wearing a beaten up leather jacket and a black hat with a stingy brim. I was not once asked if I needed help. The quality of the merchandise was actaully pretty good. Both piece goods and construction. Good asian factories. The pricing was not terrible. Of course I was not fond of the styling or the logo that was on everything. There was one shirt in a 5X. I don't think I have ever made anything that big before. They even had a canvas front suit that was made in China for $600. It was a decent make. But I know the mark up must be obscene. LDP that suit could not cost them more then $90. I do have a bit of a prejudice against the Sean John line. I made sample garments for two fashion shows. BOth times they were late in paying me. They needed shirts made in three days. I delivered on time. Why couldn't they pay me as quickly. I also had some personal dealing with Mr. Diddy as well. He wore one shirt in the show that I made for him. His manners left something to be desired. Lets leave it at that. Carl www.cego.com

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Farnsworth Bentley, PD's "valet", shops at Jay Kos. I think PD used to have his suits made at JK, and that he was "required" to purchase a minimum of 10 custom suits at a clip. And, "clip" is the appropriate word.
    Grayson

3. hermes

hermes Senior member

i think farnsworth left the valet job as i recall reading that he's started up his own fashion label of some sort

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Farnsworth/Fonzworth is supposedly designing a line of umbrellas for Bloomingdale's.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Actually, Sean John Blue denim is not bad either - not Earnest Sewn quality or Corpus innovative, but not at all bad for the pricepoint. I am just really, really turned off by P.Diddy and the image his clothes convey. It's too bad.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Puffy's valet was named Bentley? Can you imagine him asking for the car: "Bentley bring the Bentley around".

Jon.

8. stache

stache Senior member

Maven thank you for the post. I have walked by the store and wondered - the merchandise in the windows did not look so hot but I figured that it wasn't being prepped very well.

9. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I don't mind some of the pieces, but good grief what a HUGE opportunity SC had to make a respected, huge clothing line- and that has not happened at all IMO. Of course that relates to what I wanted to see from it, not what his target market does.