1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sea Shepherd's new boat vs Japanese Whalers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by robin, Jan 6, 2010.

1. connor

connor Senior member

those fuckin whale war dipshits deserve it

2. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I think they should try to stop Whalers on the Moon. [​IMG]

3. wahwho11

wahwho11 Senior member

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I rather like whales as an animal.

Besides, one can't quite wear whale skin as easily as say, leopard.

5. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

They're insane: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Globa...panese-whalers
    Silly Sea Shepherds [​IMG] In an episode this year, they showed up in the South Sea under the Norwegian flag (perhaps as a ruse to make the Japanese think another 'friendly' whaling ship was nearby). They then pulled it down and ran up their jolly roger. Flying false colors was definently a violation of maritime law for decades (centuries?), not so sure about today, but I wouldn't doubt it. Flying a Norwegian flag, when you're flagged in the Netherlands, is nothing but pure deception.

6. sunror

sunror Senior member

cant the fishermen just sink these guys?

7. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

8. tailsman

tailsman New Member

Here's the point.

We are at the top of the food chain. We all do eat meat or have at some time. The ones who really like meat, the responsible ones, have worked out ways to farm the meat they like. Not true with whales. Probably why there have been less attacks on dolphins is because they are more in the spotlight.

If someone were to actually prove these creatures think, are smart and have the ability to communicate, well that would be a problem. Although purely SF, Avatar made the point that when people want something badly, they just make the people they want it from evil or savage. It's our history, unfortunately.

You put a whaling ship with giant harpoons against whales and it's like a stacked game. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure the outcome. Or worried about sex with dolphins.

Yes, the Japanese learn slowly - when they want to. For them it is a matter of taste and dollars, or yen in this case. But pit a whale against an Eskimo, who depends on the food and is actually practicing his culture, well that is a bit of a different spin. Different environ. In the Japanese case, it's just a delicacy, nothing more, nothing less. Some age old testosterone of man over the elements. Believe me, Japan is already surviving without the taste for whale meat.

What would any of you say if an animal could talk? Do they? Probably tons/millions of petlovers believe they do. And when their pets die, it sometimes is a bigger loss than a human family member.

Comments to this site are pretty ridiculous, in some cases. Others are just trying to make a point, maybe get some agreement and awareness. It is always a choice. Three cheers to the guy who cares!

Tailsman

9. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Here's the point.

We are at the top of the food chain. We all do eat meat or have at some time. The ones who really like meat, the responsible ones, have worked out ways to farm the meat they like. Not true with whales. Probably why there have been less attacks on dolphins is because they are more in the spotlight.

If someone were to actually prove these creatures think, are smart and have the ability to communicate, well that would be a problem. Although purely SF, Avatar made the point that when people want something badly, they just make the people they want it from evil or savage. It's our history, unfortunately.

You put a whaling ship with giant harpoons against whales and it's like a stacked game. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure the outcome. Or worried about sex with dolphins.

Yes, the Japanese learn slowly - when they want to. For them it is a matter of taste and dollars, or yen in this case. But pit a whale against an Eskimo, who depends on the food and is actually practicing his culture, well that is a bit of a different spin. Different environ. In the Japanese case, it's just a delicacy, nothing more, nothing less. Some age old testosterone of man over the elements. Believe me, Japan is already surviving without the taste for whale meat.

What would any of you say if an animal could talk? Do they? Probably tons/millions of petlovers believe they do. And when their pets die, it sometimes is a bigger loss than a human family member.

Comments to this site are pretty ridiculous, in some cases. Others are just trying to make a point, maybe get some agreement and awareness. It is always a choice. Three cheers to the guy who cares!

Tailsman

Assuming you don`t eat any type of fish, including canned tuna, etc., maybe you have a point. Those are just "delicacies" too, and you don`t HAVE to eat them in this day and age.

You might think giant harpoons are cruel, but if you ask all the other fish being caught in giant nets, I doubt they will thank you for the pleasant experience.

10. tailsman

tailsman New Member

Actually, I don't eat tuna. But you are right about nets. Nasty thing. I've never been into delicacies.

The point is, we have the technology now to resolve many things. If we are 'so far above' animals, you'd think we could figure out responsible and 'more humane' ways of handling our food chain.

Again, it's just a matter of choice. Kinda looking at a bigger picture, wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for your answer.

11. Surfrider

Surfrider Senior member

I...nor do I think we should disregard cultures/traditions which are different from ours
    Go go cultural relativism? Yeah, uhh...no. Some values are (or, at least, should be) transcendent. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen you post. No disrespect.

I'm 99.9% sure this question is flamebait, but it saddens me to know that there are people out there who *actually* think like this.

I can't believe I came out of SF semi-retirement to argue about fucking whales.
    Frankly, sir, I can think of few better (or, at least, nobler) reasons.

I must admit that, were I to learn something horribly tragic had happened to the Japanese whaling vessel...while I would not be pleased per se, I most certainly not shed a tear for anyone on board. Today, whaling is almost universally distasteful practice which is, frankly, untenable. The only situation in which I could see the murder of a likely-sentient entity having the slightest whisper of justifiability is in a life-or-death/it-or-me, or a kill-it-or-starve-to-death scenario. Whaling, today, could never be justified with the starvation argument. Nor could it be so with the former argument either.

Whaling, like so many other horrible institutions from mankind's past, is an enterprise that has outlived it's usefulness and justifiability. The time has come for whaling to be banned planet-wide (granting exception only to genuine, and critical scientific research wherein the harvesting of an occasional individual is an absolute and unavoidable necessity).

PS: Sea Shepard are still a bunch of douchy fags, though.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

The only situation in which I could see the murder of a likely-sentient entity having the slightest whisper of justifiability is in a life-or-death/it-or-me, or a kill-it-or-starve-to-death scenario.
    I wish people would just get over the "smart" thing. Pigs are probably smarter than whales. They are, for all intensive purposes ranked just behind primates in terms of problem solving ability and etc. They outperform primates in many analytical and dexterity based learning tests, even though they don't have hands/opposable digits. Octopodes have been known to use tools in the wild. They can leave their natural environment to hunt. They are excellent problem solvers as well. People still eat them. This "evil Japanese whaling" argument is a case of xenophobia masquerading as social conscience. It doesn't stand up to any sort of unbiased critical thinking. Human beings kill and eat animals. Until we all go vegan (and no, I think that's stupid, thank you very much) we will continue to kill and eat animals. Japanese whalers are not hunting whales to the brink of extinction. They are not recklessly eradicating a species. (of whale. Tuna on the other hand - arguably a more critical link in the food chain is being overfished, largely for the sake of the sushi industry) So you don't understand why whales are hunted for meat? Fine. Don't understand. I don't understand why some countries eat dog, cat, monkey, pigeon, rat, human, foie gras, or whatever. It doesn't mean I'm upset at them for doing it.

13. tailsman

tailsman New Member

Surfrider,

Go Dude! We are out of the Dark Ages (maybe that's too optimistic), but we can be more responsible. It's just finding the right vehicle or media which can effectively make a difference. It is also knowing something is right or wrong. One can point at culture and/or tradition and use that to justify anything. As for whales on the brink of extinction, well had it not been for the responsibility of a few, they probably would be. Same with tuna. But closer looks, thank God for the media or a few brave souls (as stupid as they can be at times) do make a difference.

Does that mean 'go vegan'? You mean like India, where cows are sacred and people starve? That's culture and tradition. I think it is just a balance.

14. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

+1

and it might not be any better going vegan either. Plants might be smarter mammals, but in a different way. Many people think eating plants is no harm, as if a life is not taken, but that`s just denial in my opinion. Even if you are a vegan, you are taking another life so you can live.

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Surfrider,

Go Dude! We are out of the Dark Ages (maybe that's too optimistic), but we can be more responsible. It's just finding the right vehicle or media which can effectively make a difference. It is also knowing something is right or wrong. One can point at culture and/or tradition and use that to justify anything. As for whales on the brink of extinction, well had it not been for the responsibility of a few, they probably would be. Same with tuna. But closer looks, thank God for the media or a few brave souls (as stupid as they can be at times) do make a difference.

Does that mean 'go vegan'? You mean like India, where cows are sacred and people starve? That's culture and tradition. I think it is just a balance.

Of course you are referring to the balance viewed from your eyes, but yes, it is just a balance.

Whales are not extinct anymore, and the numbers they are catching are "responsible." The balance is good, so this should not be an issue.

16. tailsman

tailsman New Member

Yeah, thought about the vegan thing, too. Lord only knows, sometimes we as humans think we are all mighty and know everything. Well, looking around, we haven't solved a lot of things.

It is a balance, more respect, more being a bit more aware.

17. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Actually, I don't eat tuna. But you are right about nets. Nasty thing. I've never been into delicacies.

I ate three nets for dinner last night, delicacy or not they are nasty and stringy.

18. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Go go cultural relativism? Yeah, uhh...no. Some values are (or, at least, should be) transcendent. This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen you post. No disrespect.

and exactly what values are transcedent? i personally like the sacredness of the cow

19. jrmy0641

jrmy0641 Member

Paul Watson is a moron. that makes the show fun to watch. i do agree that those waters should be patrolled by officials and that the regulations in place should be enforced. fucking asians are overfishing the seas.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  20. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Paul watson is a moron. that makes the show fun to watch. i do agree that those waters should be patrolled by officials and that the regulations in place should be inforced. fucking asians are overfishing the seas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing...try_by_country

Yeah, damit [​IMG] That Asian country called USA seems to be in 5th