Scuffs on brand new Allen Edmonds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alobi, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Alobi

Alobi New Member

Hi all, long time lurker. I just bought my first pair of AE's online and when they arrived, I noticed they had some pretty obvious imperfections in the leather. I sent them back for a new pair and the replacements have similar issues, to a lesser extent. Can you guys tell me if these scuffs would buff out with some polish, or should I try exchanging them again? I feel like I might be making a big deal out of nothing but I have little to no experience with nice shoes so I don't really know what's acceptable when it comes to markings like these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Scuffed polish is one thing. Dings and abrasions in the leather are another. AE should send you shoes with no dings or abrasions unless you are specifically buying seconds.

3. Archaeologist

Archaeologist New Member

We must have ordered around the same time, as I too have some abrasions on my new pair of spectators I received today. I will post pictures in a new thread tomorrow. However, in my opinion, those marks are completely unacceptable - especially at that price.

I have seen cheaper shoes of less quality to be in better condition at first purchase.

Perhaps Allen Edmonds has changed its distributor or, maker or, plant. The only way it will be made known to them if enough of us do returns.

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

They certainly haven't.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Alobi you are worrying for nothing. You can rub down those abrasions with the back of an old spoon. Sparingly polish, brush & buff. Get out there and wear the heck out of them. Congratulations on your puchase and enjoy them in good health. Welcome to Styleforum.

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If you got a nice discount, then let it go. If you paid full retail (YOU IDIOT!), then exchange them. An in-store exchange would probably solve the problem.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

AE are fine shoes but don't expect perfection. MoL is right with a couple of polishes. If you want shoes that are made with more attention to detail, you might want to check out UK makes (e.g., C&J, AS, EG) but obviously the premium is the difference.