• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scuffed cordovan-colored shoes = shoe dye?

billyhoyle

Reaction score
i have a pair of cordovan colored calfskin J&M shoes that have a very noticeable red scuff mark.

a week ago i took them to a shoe repair store and they used a shoe dye spray in a can. this temporarily did the trick but i'm a clumsy walker and the red mark is back in full effect.

can i use this spray dye myself or will i end up ruining the shoes? these aren't my favorite pair, but i'd rather not trash them since they are my only pair of cordovan colored shoes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the source of the scuff mark? Do you have pictures?

well-kept

Reaction score
By "cordovan-colored J&Ms" I'm assuming you're describing that signature color effect of theirs, a very dark almost-black over red. If so, this is what happens to them. It's how they're made. Enjoy them.

billyhoyle

Reaction score
It says that they have "veal" uppers, if that helps and by scuff marks i mean that there are red "scratch" marks.

here is the shoe:

jm-ss-2985fs.jpg

billyhoyle

Reaction score
1_38301_FS.jpg

sorry, im at work and can't post my actual shoe. picture this one with a few red scratch marks near the front.

anyone have experience with spray dyes?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
No experience with spray dyes, but they sound pretty bad. Are they true scratches (i.e., a visible phyiscal disruption of the leather) or just scuffs? Have to tried polishing over them?

billyhoyle

Reaction score
yep. polishing does nothing. took them to a shoe repair store and the guy used spray dye but it doesn't last. if it made the shoes look distinguished i wouldnt care, but imo, it just makes these particular shoes look cheap (not real cordovan).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about some Meltonian shoe cream? They make a Merlot or some such that might fill the bill. I had a beat-up pair of Wildsmith loafers in Burgundy (fairly red) that I coated with that stuff-- scratches and scuffs gone, and the whole thing is a nice dark cordovan color now.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the "looks" of that shoe pictured. It is impossible to evaluate the leather finish from the picture. J&M does have a finish in a corrected grain leather where the color nearest the leather is a rather bright red. then that is covered by another coat of color in a very darK burgandy or cordovan. When the top layer wears or scuffs the shoe is left with a red mark. It does have an interesting apperaance when new in that it is almost like a form of antiquing as the color seems to change a bit with the lighting. But the problem is the same as all corrected grain shoes in that the somewhat plastic finish is almost impossible to maintain when it scratches just a bit. If these are the corrected grain leather shoes, the shoe dye will not adhere to the finish or penetrate the finish.

My suggestion is that you just expect to regularly polish the shoes with a deep cordovan polish. Probably will be necessary for every three or four wearings. Use thin coats each time and brush well. Keep the excessive red covered, in other words.

billyhoyle

Reaction score
i guess i'll have to make due. unfortunately, polishing them does not camouflage the red marks. the meltonian cream might help. i'll pick some up tomorrow.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about using edge dressing? (Warning: untested idea. Just a thought. Not liable for damage, etc.)

gj555

Reaction score
I have a pair of corrected grain shoes in a burgandy color and and black polish seems to help hide the scuffs. A light coat of black wax looks nice on cordovan and may hide the scuff.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can I just take this opportunity to point out that the word is BURGUNDY, with two Us and no As?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics