• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuff in my EGs

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
It would figure that on one of the last days I will ever take my hell commute on the Tokyo subway, someone -- I know not who, and it is too late to return the favor by giving them a permanent limp -- scuffed my EG Malverns. This is not just your typical smudge in the polish, but light scratches in the surface of the leather that cover an area about the size of a quarter. It could be much worse, but is bad enough.

My question is, how easy (or difficult) is it for a competent professional shoe repair place to refinish the leather?

My impulse is to leave it as is rather than to try to polish it out and to have a high-end repair shop like Union Works in Tokyo fix it for me.

Advice and commiseration would be appreciated.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i think you could try and give them a going oveer yourself first and then see what they look like if you do an ok job then you have saved some cash,
smile.gif
but it not then i am sure the places you have said will be able to help you!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put a lot of deep scuffs in my shoes. A couple have been positive gashes. If you think the Tokyo subway is bad, try NYC's broken and jagged concrete and tarmac. Theres a shoe place near me that always polishes and grinds them back to as good as new. It is therefore possible to have your shoes restored.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Red, what you call a scuff or a scratch I prefer to call charm. Yeah, it can be a little enfuriating, but it happens. If it isn't really deep, using wax or cream near the original leather's color will more or less hide it; what's left, nobody will notice. If it's reallly a gash, try stuffing it with wax the same color as the leather, then buff out. It's amazing how well this can work.

summej2

Reaction score
This reminds me of the first time I wore a pair of new chelsea boots to work and, due to their additional length, nicked the toe on sharp corner of the d**n WWII era metal desk the government supplies me with---infuriating. It actually ripped the surface off the leather in a 1/4" triangle. Well, after carefully gluing it in place with leather glue and filling the gaps with wax and buffing, it is now invisable from any reasonable distance.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture? I'm not getting what it is.
confused.gif

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
This reminds me of the first time I wore a pair of new chelsea boots to work and, due to their additional length, nicked the toe on sharp corner of the d**n WWII era metal desk the government supplies me with---infuriating. It actually ripped the surface off the leather in a 1/4" triangle. Well, after carefully gluing it in place with leather glue and filling the gaps with wax and buffing, it is now invisable from any reasonable distance.

I'm laughing only because I fell your pain. Funny how the world suddenly has alot of sharp edges when we put on a nice pair of leather shoes...

Don't know if anyone else here experiences this, but underneath tables at restaurants is a mine field for the shoes
mad.gif

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
I put a lot of deep scuffs in my shoes. A couple have been positive gashes. If you think the Tokyo subway is bad, try NYC's broken and jagged concrete and tarmac. Theres a shoe place near me that always polishes and grinds them back to as good as new. It is therefore possible to have your shoes restored.

FNB

I'd like to have my shoes polished and shined. got any NYC shoe shine recommendations?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with combining synthetic "antiquing" with the real wear from use...

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done this with good results for minor scuffs in the leather - maybe abrasions is a good description:

Apply the normal polish for the shoes. Use the smooth lacquered wooden side of the shoe brush to rub down the abrasions. It did seem to heal them for me. Then do a normal polish and buff.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have actual cuts in the leater on the toe of one of my oldest and dearest pairs of shoes. They have been there for years now. Not too deep, obviously, but there they are. Frequent polishing after every wearing, and they look great. Just a little patina, hardly noticable unless close up. I love them.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain, but don't sweat it. Shoes are meant to be worn and scuffs are inevitable. I share kitonbrioni's attidude, polish them normally and continue to wear them with pride.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
FNB

I'd like to have my shoes polished and shined. got any NYC shoe shine recommendations?

Ive had rotten luck with shoe places in the city. Theres that one place in GCS that everyone raves about but I dont think Ive ever used them.

Most places in NYC give a terrible shine to your shoes and dont clean them which is why I only use Vaccaro Shoe Repair in Scarsdale Village

11 Boniface Cir - (914) 723-1308

They do everything well, replace soles, heels, beautifully done lug soles, take scuffs off of shoes, repair the worn lining, clean, polish, take blemishes off of leather, scuffs removed and they clean and shine spectators like nobody's biz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads