• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuba Diving in Malaysia

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? I am planning a trip to Kuala Lumpur during the first week of October. Also, how well of a swimmer do you need be if you do plan to dive? I am getting nervous because I usually sink like a rock after a few seconds in the water.
frown.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Yup, quite a lot. Perhentian is amazing. You need to be a competentish swimmer, not too advanced. PADI (Pay And Dive Instantly) will pretty much certify anyone who can float (and pay them)

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to give it a go when I get there. Thanks for the info. Anything else about Malaysia would be nice as well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the street food is amazing. having been diving but I've been to Malaysia a lot.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the nightlife? I can't wait to eat the street food there.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya, KL has great street food. I seriously miss laksa.

Nightlife - I havent been in like five years, so can't really offer any pointers any more, but ya, it is a city that has always had good nightlife. It's a fun town. I used to go once a month in my old job...

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah malaysia is awesome

on a sidenote, i heard that french spider-man guy - the one that scales all those buildings with no equipment - got arrested for trying it out on the petronas towers

poor bastard

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
ya, KL has great street food. I seriously miss laksa.

Nightlife - I havent been in like five years, so can't really offer any pointers any more, but ya, it is a city that has always had good nightlife. It's a fun town. I used to go once a month in my old job...

Thanks, you have helped a lot.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go there all the time, but I am a decade past night life. the food is great, and it is a nice, clean safe city.

ths

Reaction score
You will have to go to the East Coast for diving Kuala Lumpur is on the West.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Not really true.

Sure, Sabah and Sipidan have amazing diving - incredible...******* turtles the size of Volkswagens - but peninsular Malaysia is no slouch either.

Perhentian is great, there are wreck dives the whole way down that coast, which you can do from a liveaboard. Even the weekend trips from Singapore (which I used to do a lot of) to Pulau Aur are more than decent, especially since it sounds like he is just starting out, and about to get his license.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
oh wait...when you say East Coast - you mean the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia or do you mean East Malaysia?

aKula

Reaction score
Just make sure it's not the rainy season when you're there. Perhentian islands are great for diving but there are other islands that must be great as well. If you want to get to the east coast (peninsular malaysia) quickly I suggest flying. It depends on where you're going though.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
oh wait...when you say East Coast - you mean the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia or do you mean East Malaysia?

I would like to know this as well. I am only going to be staying 3 days in Kuala Lumpur, so I want to get the most out of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads