• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Screwed by UPS, any advice?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was home in Kentucky doing an away rotation shortly before Christmas. I purchased a center channel speaker for my home theater/stereo and had a friend of mine UPS it to me in California using his UPS business account. The UPS tracking calculator "guaranteed" that if shipped on Monday the 17th of December it would arrive on Friday the 21st of December. I knew that I would be back in California from Wednesday the 19th to Saturday the 22nd before leaving for Florida, so I had my friend ship it on Monday, which he did. I kept checking the online tracking on Friday and all day it said that it was out for delivery, but at about 8:30 that night it said that delivery would be rescheduled for the 24th. So, I left for Florida on the 22nd and assumed that UPS would either leave the package with my leasing office or, at the very worst, return it to the sender, which would have been inconvenient, but we could live with that. Come to find out, they left it by the front door to my apartment on the 24th. I finally got in touch with someone from my apartment complex on the 27th and they went to my unit to look for the package. Of course, by that time, one of the sleazeball ******* criminals that lives in my building had run off with it. Unfortunately, my friend did not insure it beyond the minimum $100 that is included with any UPS shipment. My friend has already begun filing a claim with UPS for the missing package and they told him that there's pretty much no way that he's getting more than $100.

So, I count two instances where UPS didn't live up to their end of the deal. The first is the "guaranteed" delivery on the 21st which didn't happen, and the second is leaving a package by my front door without a signature. Has anybody experienced a similar situation with a shipping company or does anybody have any advice to go about getting more than the minimum $100, considering UPS was negligent in their handling of my item?

Thanks for your help, HS.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I was home in Kentucky doing an away rotation shortly before Christmas. I purchased a center channel speaker for my home theater/stereo and had a friend of mine UPS it to me in California using his UPS business account. The UPS tracking calculator "guaranteed" that if shipped on Monday the 17th of December it would arrive on Friday the 21st of December. I knew that I would be back in California from Wednesday the 19th to Saturday the 22nd before leaving for Florida, so I had my friend ship it on Monday, which he did. I kept checking the online tracking on Friday and all day it said that it was out for delivery, but at about 8:30 that night it said that delivery would be rescheduled for the 24th. So, I left for Florida on the 22nd and assumed that UPS would either leave the package with my leasing office or, at the very worst, return it to the sender, which would have been inconvenient, but we could live with that. Come to find out, they left it by the front door to my apartment on the 24th. I finally got in touch with someone from my apartment complex on the 27th and they went to my unit to look for the package. Of course, by that time, one of the sleazeball ******* criminals that lives in my building had run off with it. Unfortunately, my friend did not insure it beyond the minimum $100 that is included with any UPS shipment. My friend has already begun filing a claim with UPS for the missing package and they told him that there's pretty much no way that he's getting more than $100.

So, I count two instances where UPS didn't live up to their end of the deal. The first is the "guaranteed" delivery on the 21st which didn't happen, and the second is leaving a package by my front door without a signature. Has anybody experienced a similar situation with a shipping company or does anybody have any advice to go about getting more than the minimum $100, considering UPS was negligent in their handling of my item?

Thanks for your help, HS.

I can't offer anything helpful, but wtf is the point of using a courier if they're just gonna drop it infront of your door? Not even canada post does that with their regular service. They leave you a pickup notice and you have to go to the outlet on the notice. And in an apartment building no less! Wth did they think would happen to the package?

The problem as I see it for you is that you have no way of proving the value of the contents as they weren't insured for over $100.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was UPS's policy NOT to leave anything in the front door of an unsecured apartment building? And typically, if it the bulding/complex is secured, the delivery guy shoudln't have access to your front door, unless you authorized them to leave something at your door. I know they will leave it in front of a house if it looks safe and they put it behind something. Maybe you can look into what liability exists if they broke protocol (not sure if they did in your case). Sorry nothing specific to add.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Very wierd that UPS left something. UPS and FedEx never leave anything on the door step for me. USPS will leave things because they have a key to get into the building foyer where the mailboxes are.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
It was insured for $100 so there is not much you can walk away with.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I thought it was UPS's policy NOT to leave anything in the front door of an unsecured apartment building? And typically, if it the bulding/complex is secured, the delivery guy shoudln't have access to your front door, unless you authorized them to leave something at your door. I know they will leave it in front of a house if it looks safe and they put it behind something. Maybe you can look into what liability exists if they broke protocol (not sure if they did in your case). Sorry nothing specific to add.
UPS' policy is whatever they feel like saying it is that day. I had a two-hour argument with them a while back in which the guy maintained that UPS won't leave a package unattended ... unless the driver is "reasonably" comfortable that it will be undisturbed. I shudder to think of the race and class implications. Ultimately, it's up to the driver's discretion. Of course, the driver has an incentive to leave the package, because that means he doesn't have to come back the next day. Best of all, the guy I spoke with made it abundantly clear that UPS doesn't really care if you get your package or not. UPS, he said, works for the sender, not the recipient, and the company views its job as being to deliver to an address, not a person. I really hate UPS, and would happily pay a premium on every shipping purchase to avoid them.

rxcats

Reaction score
I live in a building with 96 units. UPS never leaves anything outside of the building door. If they are delivering something that does not require a signature, they will leave it in front of my actual apartment door if they are able to gain entrance to the building.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My house has a nice courtyard in the front and UPS constantly leaves things at my front door, even things that expressly require signatures, such as when they drop off cases of wine being shipped in from Cali.

Sorry to hear about your loss Hopkins.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll add to the others in saying that I avoid ups if at all possible. I hate that company.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am surprised at all the UPS hate. I greatly prefer them to Fed Ex for deliveries to my home. Fed Ex is superior, to my experience, for work deliveries.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
UPS' policy is whatever they feel like saying it is that day. I had a two-hour argument with them a while back in which the guy maintained that UPS won't leave a package unattended ... unless the driver is "reasonably" comfortable that it will be undisturbed. I shudder to think of the race and class implications. Ultimately, it's up to the driver's discretion. Of course, the driver has an incentive to leave the package, because that means he doesn't have to come back the next day.
This is true. Fortunately I have a good driver these days and he takes care of me, though he can't control what happens to my packages before he gets them -- last year I had the same item shipped to me three times and sent back for damage ($600 head gasket sets for my car). Gave up and had it FedExed. Piobaire -- FedEx 'Home' deliveries (the trucks with the little dog on them) are not the same level of service as the business or Express delivery service.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
Do you have a reciept from the retailer that states how much you paid for the speaker and that it would be shipped via UPS? That might be enough to prove that the value of the speaker is more than $100. IDK though, I've never had a problem this bad with any shipper.

You could also go directly to the retailer to try and get the problem solved. As I see it, there's an implicit guarantee between you and the retailer that your package will arrive to you in a timely manner and without damage (or theft). This might be better than trying to deal with UPS.

I usually use USPS and they've never let me down.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to suggest other than to write them with your complaint. Actually, I once complained to my local driver about his having returned a package of mine to the UPS center when I wasn't at home, instead of simply leaving it in the lobby for me to pick up, and he told me that he couldn't leave packages in the lobby any more because another resident had complained that his/her package had gone missing.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plan ahead by having the item deliveried to a friend you trust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads