• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scottish Tartan Pants: Yay or Nay?

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have both the black watch and the black watch with a grey overcheck ... love them both.

matter of fact look out for the black watch on Casual Friday next week ... already wore the black watch with grey overcheck to the SF Atlanta meetup.

i say do it!!!

jhao

Reaction score
yayy, I`m looking for ones too.

DandySF

Reaction score
These pants are perfect for holiday social events. I can't quite imagine running around town in these plaid pants.

Arkolm

Reaction score
fing02[1].gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black Watch - most definitely yes.

The 'festive' ones in the latest Brooks Brothers catalogue with a different tartan on each leg - oh please god no.

Dburr

Reaction score
The black Watch and the Stewart are great.

word

Reaction score
I have a black watch blankie and a Henderson (my family clan) tie.

Get the pants for your family members for Christmas in your family tartan as a joke.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I respect that you like them. I like tartans fine, but these are rather loud, aren't they?
Sincerely, aside from a golf course or country club, where can you wear pants like these?

These pants I'm thinking of are 100% wool and unpleated with a self-adjusting "comfort waist".

Originally Posted by Grayland

I have a pair of Black Watch pants from RL. I picked them up a few months ago and will be wearing them to a Christmas party in a few weeks. Blue blazer, white OCBD, butter yellow tie and either black loafers or black captoes. I find them a bit costumey, but at least I won't be the guy with the Christmas tie that lights up.

+1

Artigas

Reaction score
Tartan trousers of one sort or another are part of a long-standing tradition. Go for it, I say. Put me down as "Yea".

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the ones show, I like the Black Watch best. Although that is my favourite tartan.

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

The 'festive' ones in the latest Brooks Brothers catalogue with a different tartan on each leg - oh please god no.

I'm going to have to take a look into these...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't Ed be chiming in on this topic?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like several other posters, I've thought of them as mostly specialized wear for Christmas parties. I thought the Black Stuart tartan might team up nicely with my green blazer for Xmas wear, but I have a strong suspicion my wife wouldn't like the jaunty combo one bit!

Artigas

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads