Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scottish Tartan Pants: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitMyself, Dec 4, 2009.

1. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of getting the Black Watch and Royal Stewart to wear with my navy blazer, black silk/wool sportcoat, and camel-coloured cashmere blazer.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

(And no, I'm not Scottish!)

2. malefic

malefic Senior member

I'm a member of the Grant clan but I don't particularly like my own tartan or any of the ones you posted.

I have seen some plaid pants I liked a lot, but I'm not sure exactly what it is about a plaid pattern that makes it desirable (to me) or not with respect to being placed on a pair of pants.

I guess part of it is subtlety: one of the pairs I'm thinking of was a pair of Diesel pants, mostly grey with some blue in it, so being more subdued than bright greens and reds helps, certainly as far as everyday casual- or business-wear goes.

What kind of shoes would you wear with those? And how would any of the pants go with a camel colored top?

3. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

I'm a member of the Grant clan but I don't particularly like my own tartan or any of the ones you posted.

I have seen some plaid pants I liked a lot, but I'm not sure exactly what it is about a plaid pattern that makes it desirable (to me) or not with respect to being placed on a pair of pants.

What kind of shoes would you wear with them? And how would any of those go with a camel color top?

Camel, I find, goes well with quite a lot of colours. Camel is very neutral.

Shoes? I'd most likely wear oak brown plain toes and plain black calf (most likely lace-ups).

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

They look like pyjama bottoms to me. Please don't do this to yourself.

5. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

[​IMG]

I think it's a very unique look.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I recently bought a pair of tartan trousers from Levi's expensive line at Barneys.

7. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Tartan trousers seem to be all the rage... with the oldies on golf courses, and with the young'uns on ski slopes.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I respect that you like them. I like tartans fine, but these are rather loud, aren't they?
    Sincerely, aside from a golf course or country club, where can you wear pants like these?

9. ysc

ysc Senior member

They can look good with black tie, otherwise leave it to the punks.

10. chroMe

chroMe Senior member

you could only get away with it if you have a size <30 waist, over 5ft10, under 32, and live/work/walk around the shoreditch/hoxton/brick lane* area - will you shot if you cross the thames and hate crime'd if you venture past dalston to the north.

*edit to suit hipster parts of your city

do those have pleats?

11. meister

meister Senior member

you could only get away with it if you have a size <30 waist, over 5ft10, under 32, and live/work/walk around the shoreditch/hoxton/brick lane* area - will you shot if you cross the thames and hate crime'd if you venture past dalston to the north.

*edit to suit hipster parts of your city

do those have pleats?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I have a pair of Black Watch pants from RL. I picked them up a few months ago and will be wearing them to a Christmas party in a few weeks. Blue blazer, white OCBD, butter yellow tie and either black loafers or black captoes. I find them a bit costumey, but at least I won't be the guy with the Christmas tie that lights up.

13. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Nay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Incman

Incman Senior member

[​IMG]

I think it's a very unique look.

You answered your own question. If you think it's a unique look and you want to do it then go for it. Don't let the internet stop you.

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I support the wearing of the Black Watch, which are really pretty muted. I'd like to have a pair of them myself. (My endorsement may kill the look for you, though.)