1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scottish kilts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by clarinetplayer, Aug 20, 2003.

1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Distinguished Member

Gentlemen: A few weeks ago, while attending performances at the Stratford (Ontario) Festival, my wife and I visited MacLeod's Scottish goods shop. One of the clerks was wearing a solid black kilt--no tartan pattern, a black blouse, and all the usual kilt "trimmings"--sporran, belt, etc.... I had to admit it was a very "sharp" look. While I don't have a picture of that all black kilt, here is the website for MacLeods: MacLeods Have any of you ever worn a kilt? I had to once--at a wedding. (I am not Scottish, but my wife is.) At first, I had apprehensions, but it was fun. Of course, I was not the only one dressed in a kilt. [​IMG]

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I hope you know that a true Scot is not supposed to wear anything under a kilt?

No, I've never found out if this is really true.

3. keayts

keayts Member

Yep, it's true. My coach is from Glasgow. There's actually a history lesson behind it; when there was a King on the Scottish throne, the men went commando, but when there was a Queen on the throne, they wore underwear, so not to offend her sensibilities. The last Scottish monarch before the unification was a King. [​IMG]

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

repurposing the thread for my own selfish ends: i need to buy a gift for my mom's birthday. she has said she wanted something in a tartan of one of her several ancestral scottish families. a scarf, sash, maybe a skirt/ladies' kilt. does anyone have experience with a 'stockist' (as they might say on the isles) they could recommend, in addition to the above MacLeod's link? thanks /andrew

5. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

My regiment's dress uniform -- I'm Canadian -- included a kilt. Wearing underwear -- if you were discovered -- would see you buy the entire regiment a beer in the mess. That meant, of course, marching on Remembrance Day with only a kilt...November is never warm in Ontario.

6. MPS

MPS Senior Member

My wife's family are Scottish and according to her father, lowlanders who wear kilts are considered "tossers". If you have no Scottish blood yourself, don't even dream of wearing a kilt.

7. gorgekko

You do realize that the Irish wore kilts as well, don't you? Historical research indicates that the Irish and Scottish (the Galeic ones anyway) essentially wore the same kilts until the 16th century. The Irish continue to have their own kilts to this day, though their historical pedigree is in question, and you can buy a number of tartans including St. Patrick, Connaugh, Munster and Leinster Green, among others.

Not that I have a dog in this debate, I'm not Irish or Scottish.

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

There is one in Ballard (part of Seattle) whose name I cannot remember, but I have heard they are a pain to work with. (nb., hearsay)

And I seem to remember there being about five hundred thousand of them in Vancouver BC, for all the tourists to get their own tartan ties and kilts and such. Even if you are Japanese, your family has a tartan. Did you know that? Well, according to these shops anyway.

9. faustian bargain

[​IMG] well then it must be true. maybe the japanese are the 'lost clan'. i think i've decided just to get "me mum" a sash in the MacFarlane tartan. having several branches of ancestry in scotland, she's got a range to choose from. (and thus i do as well.) if i still worked in san francisco i'd hop over to Hector Russell, but it's too much of a jaunt from the east bay. (just found out they have online ordering so maybe i'll do that.) /andrew

10. MPS

MPS Senior Member

(MPS @ 21 Oct. 2004, 6:36) My wife's family are Scottish and according to her father, lowlanders who wear kilts are considered "tossers". If you have no Scottish blood yourself, don't even dream of wearing a kilt.
    You do realize that the Irish wore kilts as well, don't you? Historical research indicates that the Irish and Scottish (the Galeic ones anyway) essentially wore the same kilts until the 16th century. The Irish continue to have their own kilts to this day, though their historical pedigree is in question, and you can buy a number of tartans including St. Patrick, Connaugh, Munster and Leinster Green, among others. Not that I have a dog in this debate, I'm not Irish or Scottish.
    Plaid is a common Celtic design, but plaid is not the same thing as a kilt. The modern kilt is a shortened version of a garment worn by Scotts highlanders that was probably adapted about 350 years ago for those working in forges. Some say that the adaptation was performed by an Englishman. Whether or not the Irish wore kilts is still open to debate: this supposition is based primarily on the mistranslation of a gaelic word for "long shirt".

11. gorgekko

All good points, though it wouldn't surprise me if both the Scottish and Irish wore largely similar garb (kilts and all) until the 16th-17th century.

Good God, I got myself into a debate on the history of the kilt :)

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

My scotch/irish side is MacFarlane, and as of yet I am unaware of my Japanese side's tartan pattern. [​IMG]

13. faustian bargain

14. gorgekko

Hmmm, well, I'm not an expert in those languages, ha ha, so I'll have to go with McGann on this one. Well, I won't tell the lads at my Irish regiment that their dress uniform is based on a mistranslation, though :)

15. Superspence1

Superspence1 New Member

I am making custom kilts for everyday wear. Utility kilts are what they are called but they are mainly for men. You can visit my site at;

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=27406106

Women are welcome to wear them too. I do.

Kilts are the future of comfort.[​IMG]