• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scottish Cashmere Sweaters

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I was able to snag 3 Murray Allen sweaters (v-necks, flat weave) from FIHT last year. Absolutely fabulous quality, nice fit. If you're not an XL (those are sold out), they are well worth a look.

Well...I wonder who took the last of the XL...
smile.gif

Incidentally, these are now at 275 from 495.

FHMA-Caldwell.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are there scottish cashmere sweaters available in a very light weight/weave? i love cashmere sweaters but i prefer the very lightweight ones for ease of layering and because of where i live (Florida). i've only been able to find italian made sweaters that fit the bill (primarily RLPL and Loro Piana).

Loro Piana has always felt fantastic to me, so i'm very intrigued by the statement above that these sweaters "blow LP out of the water"....

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
are there scottish cashmere sweaters available in a very light weight/weave? i love cashmere sweaters but i prefer the very lightweight ones for ease of layering and because of where i live (Florida). i've only been able to find italian made sweaters that fit the bill (primarily RLPL and Loro Piana).

When I was in Colombo last Fall they told me that the Cashmere Silk Blends in very fine weaves were selling very well. I passed on them as that is not what I wanted from them but this idea would probably fit the bill for what you want if there is an equivalent in Scottish.

Loro Piana has always felt fantastic to me, so i'm very intrigued by the statement above that these sweaters "blow LP out of the water"....
I think he already backed off from this.

ElizabethBennet

Reaction score
I love Scottish cashmere and wool sweaters too -- and I have a suggestion. Why not BUY THEM FROM THE MANUFACTURER INSTEAD OF EBAY???? If more people did that, they Scottish mills wouldn't all be going out of business!

Yes, they're expensive -- but most of the companies have sales and really good ones -- whenever you buy one of their sweaters on Ebay, you're cheating them of some profits.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ElizabethBennet
...Yes, they're expensive -- but most of the companies have sales and really good ones -- whenever you buy one of their sweaters on Ebay, you're cheating them of some profits.

Whenever something's for sale on eBay, someone has already paid the maker for the product, and they've realized their profit. Following your logic, waiting for a sale is also cheating them out of profit they could have gotten if you paid full price.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Who makes the current BB made in Scotland cashmere?

Leather man

Reaction score
This is wonderful thread!

I am no expert in Cashmere but I'd like to share my observations. My first cashmere sweaters were from Orvis and Landsend. Nice enough but not great quality, pilled very quickly and whilst I don't wear them a lot they are showing signs of heavy wear.

Then I began to buy Scottish cashmere and the difference is amazing. I buy all my Scottish cashmere from Robert Old in the UK, who have a great website and give wonderful advice. Their ranges are large both in terms of offering different styles, weights and colours. They also have a section of sale items.

I have also bought what I think are three good quality cashmere , made in China , products from Pakeman , Catto and Carter. They are much better than Charles Tyrwhitt cashmere, from whom I have three Cashmere sweaters, and do seem genuinely good quality. However they are not a patch on the admittedly more expensive Scottish product.

I think that if you want a Cashmere sweater that will look good for years and last you for half a life time you need to invest in a Scottish made product. I cannot comment on Italian cashmere as I have never owned any, but the insentive to do so isn't there for me, the Scots have won my heart!!
inlove.gif

Leather man

Reaction score
This is wonderful thread!

I am no expert in Cashmere but I'd like to share my observations. My first cashmere sweaters were from Orvis and Landsend. Nice enough but not great quality, pilled very quickly and whilst I don't wear them a lot they are showing signs of heavy wear.

Then I began to buy Scottish cashmere and the difference is amazing. I buy all my Scottish cashmere from Robert Old in the UK, who have a great website and give wonderful advice. Their ranges are large both in terms of offering different styles, weights and colours. They also have a section of sale items.

I have also bought what I think are three good quality cashmere , made in China , products from Pakeman , Catto and Carter. They are much better than Charles Tyrwhitt cashmere, from whom I have three Cashmere sweaters. P.C&C cashmere sweaters do seem genuinely good quality. However they are not a patch on the admittedly more expensive Scottish product.

I think that if you want a Cashmere sweater that will look good for years and last you for half a life time you need to invest in a Scottish made product. I cannot comment on Italian cashmere as I have never owned any, but the insentive to do so isn't there for me, the Scots have won my heart!!
inlove.gif

newport clothiers

Reaction score
Hello to cashmere sweater fans:

have size runs in s. m and l for the item below.... pm if interested.... under a $100....

Hickey Freeman Staggered Cable Crewneck Sweater

Cashmere staggered cable crewneck with fully fashioned seams.

100% Loro piana cashmere.

Style: 54224107

pm with interest...

lisa

bullethead

Reaction score
I have around eight sweaters from John Laing and they've held up great-no pilling, etc.
the same cannot be said about my Ralph Lauren sweaters

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
My heart yearns for more Scottish made cashmere sweaters. I have bought some new and some on eBay, but I prefer buying them on eBay now, as I am a poor student and I feel great when I buy a very expensive sweater for absolutely nothing on eBay.

I really like older Lyle&Scott cashmere sweaters. The ones I have have held out perfectly and often go for n o t h i n g on eBay. But I do prefer Johnston's of Elgin and John Laing. I had this wonderful, thick, rib-knitted 4-ply cardigan by John Laing with leather buttons, which I don't have anymore. An ex-girlfriend borrowed it, as it was a bit too small for me, and when we broke up, she never returned it. I guess she loved that sweater more than she loved me :)

From my experience I do prefer Scottish cashmere over Italian cashmere, though I tried on a AvonCelli sweater once and it felt quite good. The Italian cashmere is sometimes more soft, but it doesn't feel durable as if it would pill and fall apart just by taking it on and off. The Scottish ones are made to last and I like that.

I would like to warn people about William Lockie though. I have had one or two from WL and they are just awful. They weren't really soft - actually a bit itchy and they started pilling straight away. His lambswool sweaters are a really good though.
Oh, and Ballantyne isn't as good as it used to be too either.

I have based this to my own experience, so this is totally subjective and I could easily be wrong.

I would like to know which brands you prefer?

There is this seller on eBay called Katy's cashmere shop or something. She sells some cashmere knits from something called "Hawick cashmere" (I could be getting the name wrong) and they are quite good for the money. They are usually around £60, which is a good price IMO.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone know anything about the cashmere tomas maier uses, and how it compares to loro piana/cucinelli? and scottish cashmere?

suede chukka

Reaction score
it amazes me to get this far in a "cashmere" thread with no one mentioning moths! My Ballantyne collection from Berk is only good for the garden now. How do people find Cucinelli versus the Scottish houses? it is becoming a more realistic prospect for me now they have opened a store in London.

ed1234

Reaction score
My favourite cashmere comes from TSE, a Chinese firm. I know people are usually dismissive of Chinese clothing but in my experience their stuff is better than the two Loro Pianas and various other high-end cashmere jumpers I've had over the years. The fibers come from NW China and are spun locally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads