• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scottish Cashmere Sweaters

M. Charles

Reaction score
That's a great ensemble, Bill. Would you care to share who made the shoes and coat?

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Yes:

Wore one of my old Paine's earlier today:

[click photo for closeup]

Didn't you pick up a six-ply Kiton-branded number this past year or so? How is that?

- B

Don K

Reaction score
"Knitwear firm Peter Scott in administration

29 May 2010, Hawick - Scottish borders knitwear manufacturer Peter Scott & Company went into administration yesterday leaving 150 jobs at risk. The company has been a key employer in Hawick, Scotland's high quality knitwear manufacturing centre, for more than 130 years.

Staff are reported to have been told to leave the Hawick factory with immediate effect, in another blow for the troubled textile industry in the Borders. Earlier this year 132 jobs were lost at JJ & HB 1788 Cashmere Mills in Innerleithen, near Peebles.

Member for Scottish Parliament , John Lamont, who represents Roxburgh and Berwickshire in the Scottish borders region, told Scotland's leading newspaper the Daily Record: "This is absolutely devastating news for Hawick. The Peter Scott name is known around the world and has been a major employer in Hawick for 130 years. My first concern is for the 150 staff at the firm who will be facing huge uncertainty this morning." Mr Lamont pledged to help those likely to be affected.

In September last year Peter Scott, famous for its stag logo, reported that it had clinched a multi-million pound deal with a German retailer to put Peter Scott branding on its clothing. However, rumours have abounded that the deal soured and that company has been recently struggling.

The company which manufactures classic men's and women's luxury knitwear, including golf wear, teamed up with golfer Colin Montgomerie in 2008 to design his own clothing range."

from knitting industry.com

Another great Scottish knitwear manufacturer closes its doors! Who's left - will somone in the know please give us an update?!

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered cable knit crews from John Laing last month for the store. The quality of the samples was excellent; much better than Johnston's, for example. JL also had some really well made cotton polos that I covet but I am not certain how big a market there is for $300 polos.

marylin

Reaction score
I am Marilyn Berk. We owned the shop on Madison Avenue which closed a few years ago and I am heartened by the kind things said about our cashmere sweaters. I agree Ballantyne are far and away the best. I don't know if I am allowed to say this on styleforum, but if anyone wants to buy from us, we still exist in London and by email.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads