• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scottish Cashmere Sweaters

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Laing kept going in and out of bankruptcy. However, they were being carried by Ben Silver -- I'd check their website -- and as of a few years ago, Maus & Hoffman. Additionally, a few Scottish cashmere houses sell direct -- check if Laing has a working website and if it offers that service. I echo what you say about Laing versus Johnstons. I fear that in the end there will be no more of the tightly woven,soft but substantial cashmere, that was typical of the best Scottish cashmere houses. The best cashmere qualities are too expensive to survive on selling alone; the focus is on Italian cashmere that typically feels softer and mushier from the get-go, and on expanding into a luxury brand like Piana or Cucinelli -- or the new Ballantyne -- without retaining focus on quality basic product.
Cable Car's stock of cashmere v-necks and cardigans was Laing the last time I checked. It isn't like they turn over their inventory very often. Great stuff.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Cable Car's stock of cashmere v-necks and cardigans was Laing the last time I checked. It isn't like they turn over their inventory very often. Great stuff.

Good call on CCC.

Also, I have to say the Scott & Charters cashmere shawl-collar cardigan on Kabbaz's site looks amazing. S&C's regular-style cashmere sweaters were sold at Bromley's, too -- www.classic-wardrobe.co.uk

I believe some John Laing may be/have been sold online at Stewarts of Stirling (google it).

Also, Robert Old (Google it) sold good quality Scottish cashmere from one of the producers named here IMMSMC.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I have a Ballantyne sport coat. Any thoughts about it? Were/are Ballantyne known for tailored goods?

That is something that has only happened in recent years, it coincides with promoting the company as "˜designer' not as a manufacturer. (Designers sell a total "˜lifestyle' under one roof.)

Apart from tailored clothing Ballantyne also offers leather goods. (I suppose, it is fair to presume, neither the tailored stuff nor leather is actually produced by the company.)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
That is something that has only happened in recent years, it coincides with promoting the company as ‘designer’ not as a manufacturer. (Designers sell a total ‘lifestyle’ under one roof.)

Apart from tailored clothing Ballantyne also offers leather goods. (I suppose, it is fair to presume, neither the tailored stuff nor leather is actually produced by the company.)

Correct, with the caveat that plenty of hoary old tweed jackets from places like Dunn & Co (sort of a British Sears or Ohrbachs) have a label saying they were made from Ballantyne-spun cloth.

The new licensed Ballantyne clothing brings to mind the Brunello Cucinelli tailored clothing line. Same level of pretention and quality.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm glad I have a small hoard of 60's era cashmere Pringles and a single vintage Ballantyne v-neck. The quality is remarkable and it dwarfs the newer high end Italian stuff. It never seems to wear down, lose it's shape or pill. The Pringle stuff was my dad's and I've been wearing them for 20 years now.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm glad I have a small hoard of 60's era cashmere Pringles and a single vintage Ballantyne v-neck. The quality is remarkable and it dwarfs the newer high end Italian stuff. It never seems to wear down, lose it's shape or pill. The Pringle stuff was my dad's and I've been wearing them for 20 years now.
I remember tossing a lot of this stuff a few years ago while helping my parents move. Some Made in Scotland for Wilkes stuff from the 70s and early 80s. Really dumb on my part.
frown.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Alan Paine yet? My first cashmere sweaters came from Paine via a trip to London and they wore like iron and stayed soft as can be. I think I had one in yellow, one in mid gray and one in navy.

On the Cucinelli tailored sportswear, I love it. The sport coats are great weekend wear and I'm just not understanding the hate. They are crazy overpriced, but that is harldy unique to Cucinelli.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Paine was made in England. Now it is made in China.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember tossing a lot of this stuff a few years ago while helping my parents move. Some Made in Scotland for Wilkes stuff from the 70s and early 80s. Really dumb on my part.
frown.gif

To the thrift stores?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Has anyone mentioned Alan Paine yet? My first cashmere sweaters came from Paine via a trip to London and they wore like iron and stayed soft as can be. I think I had one in yellow, one in mid gray and one in navy.

Yes:

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I still have five cable-knit Alan Paine cashmere crewnecks that I bought in the late 1980s when the Paine family still owned the company and produced things to their accumstomed standards. The Paines sold the first cable stitch patterns back in the early 20th century. The family sold off the company in the early 1990s, I think.

The cashmere is thick and meaty, dense. Even after all this time, the knits are as resilient and pill-free as when I got them.

I haven't seen any seen cashmere sweaters of more recent vintage that seem to be as good. Quite a few are rather terrible.

- B

Wore one of my old Paine's earlier today:

[click photo for closeup]

Didn't you pick up a six-ply Kiton-branded number this past year or so? How is that?

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
To the thrift stores?
I think to some place that give clothing to homeless people for job interviews.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
frown.gif

Word_Icon_A.png

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes:

[click photo for closeup]

Didn't you pick up a six-ply Kiton-branded number this past year or so? How is that?

- B

I have a bear cat coat like that. Was it that cold in Boston?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I have a bear cat coat like that. Was it that cold in Boston?

High 30s, low 40s, and windy.

Isn't yours alpaca? Mine is wool.

- B

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes:

- B

I got my first Paine's in the late 70s and early 80s. Just incredible.

I did get a handful of the Kiton six-ply cables knits and they are quite nice and the colors are especially lush. I have them in a mottled burgundy, dark green and gray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads