• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotchgarding Suits.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone apply ScotchGard to their suits?

I attend a number of functions that can become somewhat messy--think parties of 200+ which have open bars of Veuve Clicquot until 2-3AM--and the ScotchGard has saved me from disaster a number of times.

I've worn a 100 % silk Brioni tuxedo without issue as well as many suits made out of Dormeuil mohair and raw silk.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone apply ScotchGard to their suits?

I attend a number of functions that can become somewhat messy--think parties of 200+ which have open bars of Veuve Clicquot until 2-3AM--and the ScotchGard has saved me from disaster a number of times.

I've worn a 100 % silk Brioni tuxedo without issue as well as many suits made out of Dormeuil mohair and raw silk.[/quote

No but if you like Dormeuil have you seen aquaplan? Completely impervious to water or water based stains. When I was a student I had a gaberdine suit that was very good for the mosh pit.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen the Aquaplan but haven't tried it out. How is it?

I find Solaro stains quite easily. Fortunately for mohair, the multi-dimensional effect disguises any stains that couldn't be removed by dry cleaning.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never thought of this. This is like something Reev would think up

5042808597.jpg

I attend a number of functions that can become somewhat messy--think parties of 200+ which have open bars of Veuve Clicquot until 2-3AM-

Sounds douchey

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're fashion parties not tacky i-banker bottle service parties.

One especially memorable party was sponsored by Prada. The whole party was designed by Rem Koolhaas and The Pet Shop Boys performed.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds dubious and somewhat doubtful

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They're fashion parties not tacky i-banker bottle service parties.

One especially memorable party was sponsored by Prada. The whole party was designed by Rem Koolhaas and The Pet Shop Boys performed.

Pfftt... the Attolini party I attended was designed by Frank Gehry and Paul McCartney performed.

Think a party of 500+ with an open bar of Pernod-Ricard Perrier-Jouet

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never scotchguarded a suit. I do, however, have a couple of suits I wear when irrational exuberance is in the cards. They are not exactly beater suits, but close. Apart from getting champagne -- or less savory fluids -- on them, I find these kinds of parties are usually pretty packed and the room gets pretty hot so it's not like I would wear cashmere anyway.

I have, however, scotchguarded some overcoats, in particular, a covert coat which is my go-to for travel. The hand seemed a little different afterwards, not quite as soft and maybe slightly stiffer. So I wouldn't do it with cashmere or really lightweight suiting. Other than that, I don't think it would be a big problem. It probably all comes out when you dry clean it anyway.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Pfftt... the Attolini party I attended was designed by Frank Gehry and Paul McCartney performed.

Think a party of 500+ with an open bar of Pernod-Ricard Perrier-Jouet

A party of similar scale and the exact same champagne brand did happen recently. It was a Chanel opening party for their exhibit "The Little Black Jacket". They even had a separate party room called "The Club". You saw aged 60+ women lurching around.

I have never scotchguarded a suit. I do, however, have a couple of suits I wear when irrational exuberance is in the cards. They are not exactly beater suits, but close. Apart from getting champagne -- or less savory fluids -- on them, I find these kinds of parties are usually pretty packed and the room gets pretty hot so it's not like I would wear cashmere anyway.

I have, however, scotchguarded some overcoats, in particular, a covert coat which is my go-to for travel. The hand seemed a little different afterwards, not quite as soft and maybe slightly stiffer. So I wouldn't do it with cashmere or really lightweight suiting. Other than that, I don't think it would be a big problem. It probably all comes out when you dry clean it anyway.

It's not too much of an issue for wools true but for things with silk in them it's more of a problem. Also lighter colored suitings.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, the Scotchgard didn't work as well as I hoped this Friday evening. Who knew what was the culprit? Could it have been the bowl of Philadelphia Fish House Punch, the champagne, rose wine, or the Last Word cocktails that splashed onto my trousers and lapel of a light grey silk and mohair blend suit?

One's only consolation is that the Scotchgard minimized the stains. Off to the dry cleaners.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a client about liking Roxy music and he said Bryan Ferry played at his Dads garden party last year.....baller!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads