• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotch drinkers

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have recently become interested in single malt scotch. I have started with Glenfiddich because it's seems like the easiest to drink. But that leads me to this question. I read an article in which someone suggested enjoying your dram in this manner. "After dinner, pour a dram into a wide glass. Pour a mug of Colombian coffee, with maybe a little cream. Sip the coffee. Now sip the whisky--but do not swallow. "You have to chew it," he says. Turn it around in your mouth 32 times, so that it touches every tooth. Swallow. Now pop a piece of dark chocolate, such as a Godiva (at least 75% cocoa), into your mouth. Smoke a Cuban cigar (a Partagas 4D, say). "If you combine the coffee, the whisky, the chocolate and then the cigar," Paterson declares authoritatively, "you will have an immediate orgasm."* Has anyone ever tried it this way? I love chocolate so it really intrigues me but It sounds sort of elaborate. article from Forbes. Availible at http://www.forbes.com/business/forbe.../0726/182.html

kalra2411

Reaction score
Whisky, the greatest drink known to man. But please only on the rocks as the very most in terms of adding things.

The latest trend in London whisky drinking is to add a cap full of Perrier water to scotch, either on or off the rocks, and that is also good, as it brings out the true notes of the whiskey.

But at the low price level I would go for Johnnie Walker Black Label instead of Glenfiddich. I know Black Label is not a malt and Glenfiddich is, but you can really see how much of a better Whiskey Black Label is.

Malts are only better at the top end, such as Macallan 1948.

As a good mid range whiskey Johnnie Walker Green Label, Blue Label, Carhdu, and Dimple are the best.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Also I am reminded of a bar I used to go to in the 70/80's, Regentsis (now Kensington Rooftop Gardens) I often had a rusty nail, which is scotch and Drambuie.

alaaro

Reaction score
Sounds like a messy experiment. It seems the point is that induging with the best of the best all at once may be good. I dont know though. Too complicated for me.

Scotch is a great drink. I like Dalwhinnie (sp?) a lot. Usually the better scotches tend to be much smoother, but if its still rough, I often just cut it with some water. I like that Perrier idea. I'll try that next time I am on a scotch kick.

jjrobi

Reaction score
Dram is a measurement of liquid. Today it it is a measurement of scotch determined by the pourer ("Have a wee dram" is an invitation to take some Scotch).

Found this:

Dram: A weight, orig. the ancient Greek drachma; hence, in Apothecaries' weight, a weight of 60 grains = 1/8 of an ounce; in Avoirdupois weight, of 27.13 grains = 1/16 of an ounce; = drachm

So far as drinking, I enjoy it straight or with a little water.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Actually I'm a novice, but have been drinking whiskys (or whiskeys) more often, and appreciate the flavor. I used to mix them in the fashion of say, a Jack and Coke, but now prefer them (at least the better ones) on the rocks.

Let me ask a few questions:

Scotch and Bourbon are both types of whiskeys?

Scotch is Scottish, and Bourbon is US...usually a Kentucky or Tennessee whiskey?

Whiskey is the spelling used for a Bourbon, Whisky is the spelling used for a Scotch?

kalra2411

Reaction score
Very interesting.  Actually I'm a novice, but have been drinking whiskys (or whiskeys) more often, and appreciate the flavor.  I used to mix them in the fashion of say, a Jack and Coke, but now prefer them (at least the better ones) on the rocks.

Let me ask a few questions:

1. Scotch and Bourbon are both types of whiskeys?

2. Scotch is Scottish, and Bourbon is US...usually a Kentucky or Tennessee whiskey?

3.Whiskey is the spelling used for a Bourbon, Whisky is the sp
elling used for a Scotch?
1. Yes

2. Yes again, Kentucky is the original home of Bourbon (I am quite sure), but these days most American Whiskys are Bourbon.

3. I think one is US English spelling, and the other is UK English spelling.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Dram is a measurement of liquid.  Today it it is a measurement of scotch determined by the pourer ("Have a wee dram" is an invitation to take some Scotch).

Found this:

Dram: A weight, orig. the ancient Greek drachma; hence, in Apothecaries' weight, a weight of 60 grains = 1/8 of an ounce; in Avoirdupois weight, of 27.13 grains = 1/16 of an ounce; = drachm

So far as drinking, I enjoy it straight or with a little water.

Ah, so going of on the Drambuie tangent was irrelevant.

jjrobi

Reaction score
Scotch and bourbon are both whiskeys.

Here are the general differences. The following statements are generalizations.

Bourbon takes its name from Bourbon County, Kentucky. Small batch bourbons are single distillery brews, meaning they have not been blended with other whiskeys/bourbons/neutral spirits, and thus are akin single malt scotches.

Scotch is usually 80 proof, bourbon is usually 100 proof.

Bourbon is made from distilled corn, Scotch is made from various distilled grains.

jjrobi

Reaction score
All this talk of bourbon and scotch has made me thirsty and I still have 3 hours left at work ><

kalra2411

Reaction score
Scotch and bourbon are both whiskeys.

Here are the general differences.  The following statements are generalizations.

Bourbon takes its name from Bourbon County, Kentucky.  Small batch bourbons are single distillery brews, meaning they have not been blended with other whiskeys/bourbons/neutral spirits, and thus are akin single malt scotches.

Scotch is usually 80 proof, bourbon is usually 100 proof.

Bourbon is made from distilled corn, Scotch is made from various distilled grains.
Also Bourbon does not use peat does it?

kalra2411

Reaction score
All this talk of bourbon and scotch has made me thirsty and I still have 3 hours left at work >
Ah. the joys of your own buisness, Blue Label all around the office, I tend to treat the late workers. (It is 10.53 in London)

jjrobi

Reaction score
Yes, no peat in Bourbon. Rusty Nail is a great drink, good choce Kalra. I enjoy Old Fashioned vey much as well. A good night out would be an Old Fashioned followed by a Rusty Nail, a nice beer and cap it off with a Brandy Sidecar. I guess my night is all planned out.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Yes, no peat in Bourbon.  Rusty Nail is a great drink, good choce Kalra.  I enjoy Old Fashioned vey much as well.  A good night out would be an Old Fashioned followed by a Rusty Nail, a nice beer and cap it off with a Brandy Sidecar.  I guess my night is all planned out.
Haha, a great drinker, that's what I like to hear. Too bad I have not had a decent Rusty Nail since Regentsis closed down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads